xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
X-Wes

First Days On Dvorak A blazing 5 WPM

Oh. My. Goodness.Today I decided to take the plunge and move completely to a Dvorak keyboard layout. Yes, even this humble little post was painstakingly and lovingly crafted on a Dvorak layout. This is truly a massive pain to use, and I really, really hope this pays off.For those of you who have never tried a new keyboard layout, this is actually quite nutty. So much of the time, when you reach to type a letter, the key you actually press is the position where that key would be if you were on your previous layout. It drives me completely insane.Stay tuned for updates!PS: At least I type so slowly now that I catch nearly all of my spelling mistakes :P

Well X-Wes, I can feel your pain. I am used to qwerty, which in Belgium is NOT standard. Belgium standardly uses the azerty lay-ouyt. On my old laptop I had qwerty, which I find immensly easy for coding, however I am now stuck with azerty, which truly makes coding slow and an agony. How is Dvorak different?

I switched to Dvorak about a year ago. Yes, it is a pain for about a month, but after that it is SO much better and more logical, especially for coding. SERIOUSLY. Granted, I do very little coding, but it is still easier. Just cause the punctuation and symbols are better laid out.

Well... it's not like you'll be using only one computer for programming all throughout right? You probably need to program at various places, like a friend's computer, at college, at work.... Wont' it be better if you just stick to the default keyboard layout? Or maybe, the more commonly used layout... qwerty? Dvorak may be better for coding, but if it isn't much in use, I don't think I'll be switching over B)?