xisto Community
LikMeBalleFM

Could A Crashed HDD Be Read Anyway?

As some of you might know one of my HD`s stopped working the only thing it does is make this awful sound.It sounds like the reader comes across a damaged part of the drive and can`t read it or get past it. Now my question is, is there some kind of software that can be used to read this drive anyway,FORCING the reader to SKIP the DAMAGED part of the drive? I hope there is! Please please if someone Anyone knows about this kind of software let me know.This will be real realy appreciated,ThnX in advance,El

Hi ElFoReal,from what you describe..it sounds like the drive is dead : ( : (IF the read head is making contact with the HD disk.. then you can be pretty sure that that part of the disk is "toast" :P .However there MIGHT be a part of the disk that hasn't been damaged yet.. IF the read head has been getting "stuck" part of the way across the disk.Basically you have only 2 options:> send it out to a HD recovery shop (very expensive) :POption 2 (beware you risk permanently losing any data that might be undamaged yet by using this method). You will ONLY get 1 shot at it !!> get a linux based boot CD (ie. Knoppix or Pengiun Sleuth...etc.) & make sure it works by testing it in a good machine first.> remove the damage hard drive> place the hard drive on its side/edge on a flat surface.> GENTLY rap the edge of the hard drive against the flat surface 1X-2X.> turn the HD over & repeat the previous step on the opposite side/edge.> re-install the HD>Boot the computer using the linux CDIf you can "see" any of the files- copy them IMMEDIATELY to CD or another HD.If you can't "see" any of the files using the linux CD- then it's REALLY dead. Send it out for data recovery OR junk it. :P :P :PHope this helpsRGPHNX

Third option - you can take it to another breed of HD repairing shop who specialize in recovering almost lost data. They own these absolutely wonderful devices which can read the magnetic polarity on individual molecules in the coating of your HDD Platter and can sometimes even read off deleted and zero-wiped data.. :P There are both legal & illegal varieties of these shops and of course the later comes much cheaper - but I've no idea about their whereabouts :P

if you're really desperate, stick the hard disk in the freezer for a few hours, and then once it's frozen take it out, pop it in the computer adn try to boot before the hard disk warms up. if it does, then stick it back in the freezer right away. it sounds like a crazy idea, nad i wouldn't recommend it as a first-try option, but more as a last resort, as opposed to sending it to a lab to be repaired. it'll definitely be over $1,000..is the information worth that much?others i know, in desperate scenarios, aftre all other methods failed, have used techniques such as letting the hard drive fall a foot or so straight down onto a book or stack of paper. tapping it with a hammer. shaking it vigorously. et cetera. sometimes with success and sometimes not. basically what you want to do is dislodge the heads from their position, and try to get them past that. i've tried to revive dead hard drives through these methods, sometimes they kept crashing, but on the 50th time they would finally boot up long enough at least for me to get the most important data off, before they finally died forever.

Freezing it? LOLOLOLOLThat`s crazy dude! I`ll try the dropping and shaking before I go ahead and freeze it LOL.Anyway it`s most def not wurth paying that much money to fix it.I`ll just have to start desgning from scratch again,which actualy motivates me to be honest, ThnX anyway to everyone.El

Freezing it? LOLOLOLOL

That`s crazy dude! I`ll try the dropping and shaking before I go ahead and freeze it LOL.Anyway it`s most def not wurth paying that much money to fix it.I`ll just have to start desgning from scratch again,which actualy motivates me  to be honest, ThnX anyway to everyone.

El

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! :P

it does sound like an insane thing, but just so you see i'm not making it up, check this tech support thread http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/