xisto Community
infamousflame

Hosting Packages Suggesting more hosting packages.

Hey,There are currently only two Xisto hosting packages. Once you get the second hosting package, there is less drive to provide content to the forums, because you won't get anything extra. (I know you have to work to keep your hosting, but there still is less drive because there is no physical improvement.)So, my suggestion is this:Create more hosting packages. This means that people will constantly have something tangible to work towards. When I say create more hosting packages I mean along the same lines as the existing packages; when you reach a certain number of credits, you gain more disk space and bandwidth.I hope the Xisto staff will consider this suggestion and get back to me as regards their decision.Also, if the answer is no, would the staff please explain why,Thankyou! :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. I know this is just free web host space, but it does seem to motivate more users if they can gain more services. As of now they just come to post just to stay active. If there are more incentives (like the extra space for xx amount of credits), the users should be more active.

There used to be more packages, both here and on Xisto. They were all limited to just 2 packages, this to simplify the hosting applications and server administration. What we are giving you, is a package worth 30 bucks a year per member. If we would upgrade bandwidth (which has been upgraded recently btw) or diskspace, it would mean that we are unable to provide these services to everyone who applies. It would also mean a much stricter application process and higher requirements. This has been suggested many times before and is not very doable. Now on a more personal answer...I have well over 200 credits. I have the standard package. I stay active not because I want more and more, but because I like talking to everyone, I've learned a lot here and keep on learning new things. I see the being active as an opportunity to meet new people and expand my knowlegde on subjects. To help where I can and to ask for help when I am stuck. :lol:

Point taken. We really do appreciate the free service that Xisto provide here. I'm sure all of us here (in this topic :lol:) don't mind posting and reading here. I know I learned a handful for the few days I've been here. Tutorials are great. But there seems to be others who don't participate as much. I guess they will be "phased" out once they reach the -30 credit inactive status :DI just checked. 128 members in the past 30 minutes. But not a lot of new posts here. I'm sure we have enough topics here to interest everyone. :lol: Enough of my ranting, I enjoy this free service and will be more than happy to contribute back to the forum here. :lol:

I would realy like it when they would give us, let's say, 10MB extra space for every 15 credits, but then there would be people with too much space, M^E for example has over 600 credits, then he could have about 400MB, that's pretty much don't you think? And another problem, the number of spammers would increase a lot. Maybe you could make a package of 400MB for 100 credits, but that would be the limit I think.-=Jeroen=-

I'll have to agree with moonwitch on this one. Xisto is already professional hosting as it contains with CPanel 10 and a myriad of features that comes with it. 150 MB disk space and 5 GB bandwidth is pretty generous if you ask me.

I don't think I really need more than that.

If Opaque or NilsC actually upgraded our space to say 250 MB and our bandwidth to say 10 GB, the cost for keeping the service up would skyrocket. They would either have to make this service a paid web host to cover all of the costs, they would have to stop people from applying for hosting, or, the most unfortunate scenario, close up shop and call it a day.

Plus, there would be more spamming because the members will be eager to receive the best hosting possible. And guess what happens when a forum's members turn to spam? :P

IF, it's a good idea in theory, but it wouldn't work in practise [ just like Communism ]. Okay, I've said my bit.

I agree with moonwitch too. This is some really kickass free hosting service here at Xisto, so there is really no need for new hosting packages. 150MB of personal space is a lot if you ask me, and if you are not running some sort of downloads web this is really enough, and 5gb bandwith is really enough for average webmasters here at Xisto. I doubt that you all get more than 5-20 pagevisits/day.

ya know i was thinkin the same thing.. i would like to see more packages.. but moonwitch has a great point.. the way its set up now.. everyone who qualifies gets a package.. if they added more, not everyone could get anything, which would defeat the purpose of the whole post and get free space thing...

Personally I feel that the option would be good, however I do understand the need to limit what is provided as it is a free service.The first thing is everyone who meets the 30 credits is guarenteed the service. As stated before in other places, if the packages were upgraded, this is overselling isn't it? If I recall correctly, this is one of the reasons why other places shut down. As for making a more rigorous application process, I don't believe thats what this board needs. It is dependent on a large base of people with different areas of knowledge and increasing the credit limit would drive most people away initially, although not true in all cases.