xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Just Installed A 1gig Ddr

I haven't had much of a chance to play with linux but I'm gett'n ready to set up a linux box to play with as a web host. Thx for the heads up on the 4x rule of thumb. Thats should help me keep things organized a bit more.

Hi guys,

????[/tab]Muahahahahahaha. Just installed another One Gig DDR on my system - taking the total upto a whole whopping 1.5Gigs ;) Oh man - the damned things becoming a powerhorse day by day...

[tab]Yaaaay... I can't hold back on my joy !!!!

m^e

1064311092[/snapback]

How much $$ 1gig cost by you?

...  Anyway, did you know when you put 1,5 Gb, of RAM into a computer, it actually needs double space for swap on HDD. So, in your case your swap file would be aprox. 3Gb ;), because RAM is only temporary memory, it's how computer works, for all RAM installed it must be at least double of that RAM space on HDD for swap, in other words dont fill out whole HDD to 99% :P

1064312798[/snapback]

I use the option of a fixed swap file size and having 1 Gig RAM, I only allow 500 Megs of swap file. Memory is never full, even with 55 processes runing. I personally would strongly recommend to limit the swap file size. Otherwise it is not only occupying too much space on the HD, but also putting too much data in the swap file instead of keeping it in the RAM.

On my other machine, I only have 196Mb of RAM (SD), and coupled with RAM Def XT, I have very little problems (apart from the fact it can chug along a little under the heavy stress of using bitmaps in Fireworks :shudder: ). How much memory is too much then? Afterall, if you have 8Gb memory (the max on a G5), will you ever need it - or will it simply be too much for the system to handle?

I would really like to have 1 gig memory. I have 256 Megs, and I am continuously swapping. Unfortunately I cannot open the box of my PC yet, else no hardware guarantee any more. So I will wait a little bit.

or will it simply be too much for the system to handle?

is that possible? i tell some of my non-computing friends that im getting an upgrade [im not a bore, they care as i run our website] and they say that my pc wont cope with 1.5 gig RAM [next week=lush] it will blow up or something.

that makes no sence right, more ram = less system strain ?

It depends on what kind of system you have. Each system has some kind of maximum amount of memory/RAM that they can accept. Although 1.5GB is kind of low (unless it's a really old system - I mean really really old...).Having more RAM will make your system run more smoothly especially if you plan on running many applications at once. That won't bog you down if you add more RAM...

My goodness, I love this. I love this! I LOVE THIS!!! Oh yes, how much did you get for that little 1 gig chip? I think I got it for 10,000 baht ($250). I am not sure - I need to ask my mom - she got Samsung 1GB DDR from Korea. My other 256MB DDR is Samsung too so I guess they would fit together.I took out 256MB DDR because I thought it was going to slow down the computer but I think I'm wrong. Now I need to find that 256MB DDR stick and stick it in there! YAR!!! HAHHAHA(I'm sorry I am such in a good mood - I'm listening to Eve-Online radio station and it rooxxxooors my soxckksorszzz meh I'm turning into crazy monstera!! HAAHHAHA feels so good to listen to techno and trance!!)

My goodness, I love this. I love this! I LOVE THIS!!! Oh yes, how much did you get for that little 1 gig chip? I think I got it for 10,000 baht ($250). I am not sure - I need to ask my mom - she got Samsung 1GB DDR from Korea. My other 256MB DDR is Samsung too so I guess they would fit together.

Lol.. the original price was 8,000Baht - for the shop I get it from always has a lottery after you purchase.. Luckily enough that day we won a 50% discount coupon.. and the damned thing came for only 4,000 baht :)

(I'm sorry I am such in a good mood - I'm listening to Eve-Online radio station and it rooxxxooors my soxckksorszzz meh I'm turning into crazy monstera!! HAAHHAHA feels so good to listen to techno and trance!!)

1064331155[/snapback]

Oh hell yeah - that's what it does to me always too.. I'm a die hard psy-trance lover.. You should check out the last.fm radio station too.

What about the RAM timings M^E? Bigger aint always better you know :).Anway 1 gig of ram is enough for almost everyone really nowadays. Unless you're into video encoding or other heavy processing stuff on your comp.

Although 1.5GB is kind of low (unless it's a really old system - I mean really really old...).

Huh ? Do you really think 1500 Megabytes memory is low ? Or are you thinking about MegaHertz for cpu speed ?By the way, I agree with the fact that Linux will take benefit of 1.5 Gig memory, whereas Microsoft Windows will probably not take full benefit of that. But this is purely theoretic things from jaleous people. If I could have this amount of memory, I would not care about useless or not! It's exactly like driving a Ferrari : you don't really need such a fast car, but you enjoy driving it!