xisto Community
Fun4TheMoney

Let's Start Our Own Dmoz Link review/swap to increase traffic

This is just the beginning of an idea, so jump in if you can improve on it. :blink: We all need traffic and links are the best way, but all sites aren't suitable, linking takes time, etc. If we started our own formatted site reviews, with links both to the site we're reviewing and back to our own site in the sig, and made them really nice (spell check, stick to a set of guidelines, etc.), then we could all benefit by being able to pick and choose what's suitable for our own sites and improve our content, get the benefit of increased traffic when our reviews are picked up by others, support Xisto by posting it all here for other visitors to see, and also help support our favorite sites.I've been checking out syndicated free web content, which is what gave me this idea. If we set this up right, with a code in the subtitle and everybody doing them the same way, we could post our reviews in all the relevant categories--games, freebies, whatever--and we'd be able to recognize a "content" review/link at a glance, when we want to update our links pages. Anybody else think this would fly or I should I just crawl back under my rock and take a nap? :angry: Suz

I was not sure exactly what you meant, could you try an explain more clearly, either that or it is as clear as it could beand should probably should crawl back under your rock and take a nap... :angry:

I was not sure exactly what you meant, could you try an explain more clearly, either that or it is as clear as it could beand should probably should crawl back under your rock and take a nap... :angry:

60011[/snapback]

WOW! That was fast. Okay, here's a reviewed link from my website:

My all-time #1 favorite free classified ad site is

Craig's List (http://frankfurt.craigslist.de/)

No hype, no popups, regional categories, up to 4 free photos. These ads really pull. Ed has sold 2 items there, already. Ed's Hint: If you don't get immediate results, delete your ad and list it again, to keep it near the top.

Submitted by Suz, for Fun4TheMoney.com

We'd have to experiment with the links, URLs, etc., to figure out what's easiest for webmasters to copy and paste.

So now I'd post the above message in the Freebies folder, with a title like "Craig's List" or something, but the subtitle would be "Reviewed Link" or "Syndicated Content" or something that we'll all recognize and use for all of our reviews.

Now, let's say you like my review. You copy and paste it to your site, and VOILA! My SEO goes up because you linked to me, and maybe somebody will click through from your site to mine if they like what I wrote and increase my traffic.

Now it's your turn. You pick a site, review it in the format we agree upon, post it in the proper category, and someone else picks up your link and puts it on their site. An on it goes. WADAYATHINK?

Suz

Okay, I'm getting closer. The idea is to provide free content--doesn't have to be just links. It could be anything of value that we post here.

Pick an appropriate category, pick an appropriate title. The sub-title would always be "FREE CONTENT". That way, webmasters would know it's okay to copy and paste to their websites.

Here is a post to one of my threads.

a really good affilliate program if you have a high traffic computer related website is tiger direct... they will pay you pretty good for selling their products... http://www.tigerdirect.com/

--------------------

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If this post was part of our free content program, I could copy and paste it to my website, linking to both TigerDirect and to Jimmy's web site. I get a recommended link without working that hard, and Jimmy gets the link to improve his search ranking, and also a chance that someone will click through from my site.

Anybody who wants to could participate. It doesn't matter if they write a poem, a how-to, helpful hints, site reviews. The only 2 differences between these and regular posts would be 1) the "FREE CONTENT" subtitle, so we all know we have permission to copy and link, and 2) the careful formatting and inclusion of our URLs so the posts are free of errors and easy for webmasters to pick up.

Now I think I've explained as well as I can. If anybody else likes the idea, let me know and we'll give it a try. :angry:

Suz

creating a dmoz would be very hard, as it requires cgi and a helluva alot of bandwidth, but since it's only for free site, there should be no difficulites, if you're looking for dmoz "like" scirpts, check out hotscripts.com and look up the php section

creating a dmoz would be very hard, as it requires cgi and a helluva alot of bandwidth, but since it's only for free site, there should be no difficulites, if you're looking for dmoz "like" scirpts, check out hotscripts.com and look up the php section

60252[/snapback]

Sorry, I shouldn't have called it Dmoz. I was thinking out loud and should have waited until the idea was better formed. Forget Dmoz and think "syndicated free content" like at Freesticky.com.

We don't do anything but post good quality free content, right here on the message boards --no typos--no vague references to other posts or anything--just like a short freelance article, making sure that the content includes a link to our sites.

Put "FREE CONTENT' in the subtitle, so people know they can use it on their sites and it's ready to publish.

Maybe we should start each one with a short message to publishers to please not remove the link, since that's the only "payment" the author will receive.

Since we already have free hosting and tutorials, here, this forum is a real draw to webmasters. It's the perfect showcase for content writers.

If enough people are interested, maybe we should present this idea to the staff, here, and get it all put in one place, like the Tutorial board. If not, it won't be the first time one of my ideas died an early death. :angry:

Suz

I don´t understand it very well. The idea is to make a directory with our websites hosted in Xisto?

It seems a good idea, anyway.  :angry:

60298[/snapback]

The websites wouldn't have to be hosted, here, but the content would be posted here.

We could use the existing forum categories, and sprinkle our content around, or start our own thread, somewhere, and post it all there--or both.

I've posted an example in the Creativity Forum, titled "The Perfect Garden" so you can see what I mean. That example is way longer than it has to be for web content (it was originally written for a print publication) but it should give you an idea of what I mean. (A website review might only be one paragraph long.)

Okay, everyone--feedback, please.

Suz

Nice idea. I'm in for it. It will benifit us all. But we need to have a proposal, or a type of real example(draft). Furthermore, who is going to be the head? Are they going to be from Xisto or Suz's friends?We need to get all these planned out first before we can acctually started materialising these ideas. I can voluenter my help.I'll leave the rest up to you guys......Great idea....-Shackman

Nice idea. I'm in for it. It will benifit us all.

But we need to have a proposal, or a type of real example(draft). Furthermore, who is going to be the head? Are they going to be from Xisto or Suz's friends?

We need to get all these planned out first before we can acctually started materialising these ideas. I can voluenter my help.

I'll leave the rest up to you guys......

Great idea....

-Shackman

60502[/snapback]

Hey, you're super-dude. I'm just a noob. Besides, I don't have any friends. :blink:

If you want to contact Xisto and see if they want to run this like they do the tutorials, it's fine with me. In fact, anything's fine with me. You can be the head if you think we need one. A proposal coming from you would be a whole lot more impressive than coming from me.

I do think we need to get it all better organized and re-post under a better subject, like "Syndicate Your Web Content" or something more appropriate than my dorky Dmoz title. All I did was confuse people with that one. :angry:

Suz