xisto Community
nakulgupta

Check Out This Cool PC

I was going through Nvidia's website today when i came across this.... Does anybody know this dude??

Full Name: Jay VenturiGaming Handle: Morte
City and State or Province: Chesapeake, Virginia

For some guys, running two GeForce 6 series cards together in SLI mode isn't enough firepower. Jay Venturi of Chesapeak, Virginia decided to up the ante on his custom Lian Li case, using two 512 MB NVIDIA Quadro workstation cards to create a monster of a machine. To ensure that he has enough power to pump all that rendering data through his dual GPUs, Jay linked together two 600W power supplies! What does this produce? How about running Doom 3 benchmarks at over 140 FPS at 1600x1200 resolution, with 4X AA? If 512 MB of RAM for each graphics card wasn't enough, Jay caps it off with an additional 16 (yes, sixteen) GB of ECC memory plugged into his motherboard. All this hardware, paired with his Dual Opteron CPUs, Jay is leaving little doubt that his PC is of the best and fastest out there!

Here are some of the specs on Jay's machine:
(2) SLI 4400 fx Quadros 512 mb each
Tyan S2895 dual opti board
(2) Dual Opteron 252 step E 90nm
16GB RAM (ECC)
1.6 Terabytes of RAID Storage (4) 400GB SATA-2 Drives
Logitech Laser mouse
Dual Layer Burner
Zelman Cooling Al-Cu
Lian Li VP2000 case
Dual 600watt power supplies (linked)
Samsung 24 inch LCD 1900x1200
Windows Enterprise Server 2003 64 bit and 32 bit

Scores:

X2 The Threat benchmark
All eye candy
1600x1200
specular, auto-detail, etc
101.601 FPS

Doom3
4x AA, ultra setting, 1600x1200
~Timedemo Demo1 usecache
141.5 FPS

Painikiller 1.62
All eye candy maxed, 1600x1200
~benchmark C5L1 212.64FPS
~benchmark C5L2 155.10 FPS

Original Link

That man is insane :lol: What he is going to do with that monster? If compared with my PC... Eh nevermind... :lol:I'm wondering how much time it will take to deliver such performance to standart PCs. I mean with single GPU and single CPU. And without 16GB RAM...Anyway, 16GB RAM does not deliver hight performance boost in gaming. I think that fps in Doom 3 would be almost same with 512 or 1024Mb RAM, or maybe even better, becouse of faster timings...Of course for tons of server aplications more RAM is better.

that is some mahusive machine. I would love to have one of them. Its way better than my AMD athlon 2400+ with nvidia geforce 256mb. bet his computer runs like a dream :lol: i didnt see the processor he was running tho!

Certainly, you have to be some kind of rich or just work to upgrade your PC. Ah, if I only had that THING, i think I would sell it really. How much this thing costs? I better would buy more machines to have a cyber, but maybe in the future this are not going to be a lot if we assume that some years ago there weren't 1.0ghz processors.

Edited by PyramidHead (see edit history)

I know what could I do with mostercomputer like that... Use it for work. When your clients want's quality, that means this:--> opening canvas in Photoshop, sized 300 x 300 cm (yeah that's 3x3 meters in virutal memory) at 180 dpi resolution. So flat image like that produces filesize of 900 megabytes on disk. --> now if you include layers in your design, and start moving things around, you pretty much get tired soon, when you see how it goes slow.A maschine like that, could speed up my bussines by at least 60%.

pfff, this is pure overkill. Who needs that power to play games ??? Even SLI on it's own is overkill, one single 7900 card with a DC64 is more that enough to play games at high resolution with AA and AF ... And of course, it's cheaper, not only to buy, but also to feed it.But, if one day he want's to give it away, I'll be waiting for it :P

Here is an interesting article on human perception and fps. FPS
It pretty much doesn't conclude how many fps is necessary for fluidity because it argues that it depends on what your idea of 'fluidity' really is. In any case, it argues that perhaps 4000 fps is enough... or even 24 fps (which is the current cinematic standard). So, our friend from VA is either experiencing severely insignificant return on his investment (law of diminishing returns) or clearly hasn't spent enough!!!

Edited by illini319 (see edit history)

Lol I guess he has some serious specs. My pc could take his. =) It'd be nice to have just one of those cars in my opinion. It's good to see that some people can afford to do stuff like that..not only that..but he actually knows how to do it. I'm just a little too simple I guess.

...using two 512 MB NVIDIA Quadro workstation cards to create a monster of a machine. Original Link

Anybody know how is possible to link two graphic cards ?
You need two monitors, or you connect one monitor and they share the GCPUS?
I'm VERY interested in that ! :D