xisto Community
Hardy Boy

Poll: Which Is The Best Os Pick The Best OS

What is the best OS  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like XP. it's the most user friendly. the one that the most games run on. the most programs. it's industry standard. It's got (more) than its share of problems, but still, i feel overall it's the best to use. I don't like the lack of GUI on Linux, and i don't like Macs in general----nothing performance related, just personal preference. one point i feel has merit, in the Windows vs. Mac battle, is that Mac hardware is expensive and hard to come by compared to PC components. available everywhere and anyone can fix it, if it needs to be replaced, for petty cash you've got a new piece.

Windows Beats All I Think. Expecially XP

1064310113[/snapback]

I like XP. it's the most user friendly.

1064313653[/snapback]

I have to say that I could not dissagree more with the previous statements. Before I say why, I would like to say that I currently own 2 macs and one windows computer. I know what both OS are like and have used both extensively (Mac os 9, osx, Windows 98,2000,XP). I also use Linux a lot too, although not as much as Windows and Mac. I'm not one of those self-proclaimed experts who complain about and critisize things they know nothing about.

Windows is not better than Mac OSX at anything and is not better than Linux at anything except that it has a nicer looking GUI than Linux (yet windows GUI is much slower). Windows isn't even better at gaming, although there are way more games available for Windows. The same games run smoother and faster on Macs than windows with comparable stats. Windows is terribly slow and fragile, you have to have a very expensive computer to comfortably run windows xp. Windows is NOT the most user friendly os. Everyone says its the most user friendly because 90 something percent of computer users use windows. Lots of windows users use windows for years and years and then try Mac osx for two minutes and dismiss osx as hard to use. Well of course they're going to say it's hard to use because they've been using windows all their lives. Mac osx is much more user friendly than any of the windows. The applications are more accesible, the file searching is better, system settings and info are much more accessible, and to top it of, the Mac osx is faster and more streamlined.

The best OS is the one that makes YOU happy. I don't care what other people use, it's important which glove fits best to MY hands. I've tried a number of Linuxes and I still install new Linuxes every now and then, but after 5 hours of Linuxing I'm really happy to get back to my XP computer. But that doesn't make XP the best OS, it's like "which ice-cream is the best?"

GreetingZ

... ah, by the way, DOS is the best OS!  B)

1064310186[/snapback]

I agree. I don't really care who says which OS is the best because, for me, XP's cool. The poll is interesting, though, because as of right now it's basically showing that users like all the choices roughly equally. (Linux is ahead, technically, but it's not like fifty percent ahead of everything else.)

I love XP, but if someone wants to use Linux, cool. S/he has an advantage, actually: I'll never ask to borrow their computer (because I'd have no idea of what to do with it past booting it up, hehe).

Just for the record, I think the phrase "The Best OS" means the best OS universally. I understand your logic, Sarah81, but I think what your talking about is "The Best OS for me", not "The Best OS".

I think most people think that windows XP "rocks" is because it's the only one many people know how to use. If you got more into the other operating systems you'd see all of them have their pros. People think microsoft is so great, because it practically owns the whole computer market

I think I can come up with one more reason why Windows is "so great", as we put it. Though the argument that there's more software available for it is quite a strong supporting one. Aside from that, though, the other point in its favor applies to the vast majority of people in the world, and (sadly) somewhat applies to me. This point is that Microsoft has poured immense amounts of time and money into the GUI. Windows, although not necessarily the best of motors under the hood, at least does a very commendable job with the dashboard. This means that anyone, with hardly any understanding of computers whatsoever, can sit down at a windows terminal and figure his way around. I liken it to a difference between manual and automatic transmission. a manual is unequalled, but if you were to stick a non-drvier behind the wheel he would have a much smoother time with the automatic. While the windows system may not be the all-in-all, its simplicity, ease-of-use, and high compatibility is what most people are looking for.

The funny thing is that KDE and Mac OS X's Aqua system and Windows XP's GUI is almost the same in technology and "advanceness". For people to say that Microsoft puts tonnes of money to fund it, would show that they're just wasting more time and effort than KDE and Mac.Mac OS X and KDE are very easy to get hold with after at least a month; same with Windows.Windows much more easier? No, it's as easy as KDE/Mac.xboxrulz

i like microsoft windows XP when i play games, i like mac when i design graphics, but always and always i like to use linux for any thing i want to do on my machine, it's the best system ever, just open the terminal, then you can do anything you want, and when you find a bug, don't wait for them to solve it, just edit it yourself, it's the power of open source.

I concede Xbox'z point. also macace. While i do feel that windows is the most user friendly environment for a newbie, past that i can see where it stops. I suppose then I would have to put my use of XP in the "personal preferences" section. B) Ok, but one thing against Macs: They're too expensive. Otherwise i would have gotten one. This hampers their user coverage. hopefully once the intel chips get streamlined, apple will come up with something a little more affordable.