xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

I Have The Best Summer Job Ever !

I got a summer job marking ESOL exam papers.ESOL = English Speakers from Other Languages.Basically, Schools / Universitys / Colleges from all over the world send there english exam papers here to England to be marked.And here is the best part...Because they are in such a rush to mark all papers, we started work when the first delivery came.today, we ran out of papers, i was only working or 30 minutes, but im getting paid for a full 8:30am to 5:00pm at £7:20 an hour.And it looks like the same will happen tomrrow.

I still want to take the ESOL. LOL Do you think I would do ok on those?

That is a nice job, but I think that mine might be a little better. I'm working for my mechanic, who is loaded. I get free labor when my car breaks down, and he orders me lunch-while on the clock, and I get paid $7.50 per hour.

I remember my first summer job. It was six years ago and starting pay was $7.00 per hour. I've been there for the 6th year now LOL. Pays increased by a lot but I really hate the job.Believe it or not, I hate it because I'm either doing nothing or doing something that's useless to me (photocopying, data entry, etc.). Just graduated with my bachelors in computer science. Need to find a full-time job in the field and get the heck out of that place LOL. Love the people there (it's been six years :lol:), but hate the job.

I got a summer job marking ESOL exam papers.

ESOL = English Speakers from Other Languages.

Basically, Schools / Universitys / Colleges from all over the world send there english exam papers here to England to be marked.

And here is the best part...

Because they are in such a rush to mark all papers, we started work when the first delivery came.

today, we ran out of papers, i was only working or 30 minutes, but im getting paid for a full 8:30am to 5:00pm at ÂŁ7:20 an hour.

And it looks like the same will happen tomrrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see a lot of irony in this, for a minute I thought it was suppose to be a joke, although I failed English and wish I had the opportunity to take a class where I could have at least passed an English equivalent paper. (English is my first and only language).

I topped all my other classes which shows English wasn't needed (yea right), but the fact that English was more orientated in getting you in a more communicative way than teaching people correct grammatical structuring and spelling. I'm disappointed in the amount of how poor the language is to some.

I never understood the relevance of why we needed to know Current Events that had little effect on me, but when you get older, you realise that these events could be used as a starter for communicating with another person. "Did you hear about Michael Jacksons verdict?" etc.

To be honest, if I knew that was the relevance of it, I would have at least made some attempt to actually work at it, but I really felt it was pointless and I never saw any reason to waste my time on it. Anything that required Physical, Science, Mathematics and Economics was my main focus, English was omitted, as I felt they gave up really teaching it and focused too much on other things, without correcting the problems they currently faced. If only there was a way to improve this.

Cheers,

MC

No, I have the best summer job ever, which is why I haven't been posting much. Being a game tester for Red Storm Entertainment (the tom clancy/splinter cell/ghost recon/rainbow 6 people). I would tell you all about it, but its covered by NDA :lol:Still the best summer job ever.