xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sxyloverboy

Photography Stock Sites Any experience with them?

yeah im an amatuer photographer but i was thinking that with so many stock sites out there i might make some money with pics that would only get old on my HD and i wouldent use anyways otherwise. Ive signed up for Shutterstock.com and also Imagevortex.com$0.20 is pretty lousy i guess but with imagevortex you can set your own price. Anybody else have any experience with these sites and could recoment something?

Eh, stock photography sites are generally a ripoff for the photographer. Basically, the whole premise is that you sign over all of your rights to the photograph in exchange to see it up on their site. Most ad agencies go through stock agencies, so there's little chance of seeing your work in magazines or billboards. I looked into doing this when I was starting out, but after looking at the fine details, I opted not to in order to save my own rights to my work. Why put something on a stock site and get $0.20 for each sale when I can put it on my own site and make at least $35 on one sale? It just doesn't add up, unless you have a ton of images.

well yes thats how it is in the 20cent sites. i havent seen a lot but theres a few where you can set your own price. at imagevortex the range you can set is between $20 and $300 so im guesssing its pretty good. the problem with them is that they havent gone online for buyers yet only for the photographers to build up their stock.

Yup, honestly... Stock photography should be available for a decent price. You could buy one for cheap, but the quality is just soo crappy, theres no more purpose for it. And when you want a good photo that has some sort of meaning to the picture, its bank to even touch it... I believe a good way of making money off that is offering a free organize and enormous collection of stock photos to everybody and make tons of income on the banners and advertisement... Due to the fact that it;s free, there will be an outrageous amount of traffic to the website and many companies would love to advertise on it...Chin chin...If somebody is interested in starting something like that... let me in on it.. hehehe....