xisto Community

Has anyone use this OS? Currently 5.0 is in beta (beta 8.3 to be exact). It's great. It's faster than any OS in the market. This all came from a bootloader :angry:. If you want to see how great this new OS is click here.

I am also trying to compile some Linux libraries over, but no success yet.

xboxrulz

Pictures are nice :P But I don't belive that is really good, linux is probably the last os who will succed and freeosb maybe :) But I support them Much work to do now but :)

Wow, these guys beat me by a long shot. But the problem is that they're closed source and commercial. Awesome, but not helping the rest of the dev. community.

osknockout quote:

Wow, these guys beat me by a long shot. But the problem is that they're closed source and commercial. Awesome, but not helping the rest of the dev. community.

I agree with you on this osknockout, about it not helping the rest of the dev. community. Linus created Linux to be open and free so everyone could contribute. But now it seems like alot of linux OS developers have found a way to Copyright their own added features. This is ok if you are into that, but I feel it takes away from the original Linux spirit. Skyos looks very promising, but if the only opensource part of the core os is the kernel, then it saddens me to see this. We don't need another MS Windows, or Mac OS proprietary closed system. Linspire is doing pretty much the same thing. A good Linux concept, many good reviews, but becoming more and more closed source. There are others out there as well closing up "their" code. To me this causes a bottleneck effect. Instead of thousands of developers working on the whole OS, and contributers who can turn patches out for the distros within hours or a couple of days. Being closed source causes the particular distros to use a fraction of developers, longer patch updates. Not good in my opinion. Well, i will stop here. As you can probably tell this is one of my pet pieves. -_-

I must agree it is closed source and will soon charge hewavy to users.and even if the user interface is good it is not yet loaded with killer apps.it need some killer apps.and publiciuty other wise skyos will be shyos.what you think.?

Nice but as someone above said, linux is the latest who will succed and maye freeBSD, and if you wan't to succed with new os it must be damn good with huge support and there should be many workers who will create programs, games and everything for this os until others start to create the games and so,as we can se now there is not so many games for linux and every game or program who is coming is for windows, and the programs who are for linux are created by the side of linux programers like we know that every linux comes with many programs who are created by the same programers so i hardly can believe that they will succed, but who knows and I support cosed source because if there is a lot of many distributions like in linux you don't know who is the best, in example, if xp become open source there will be programeers who will create better windows thatn theirs windows xp or longhorn so after few years you will forgot that the firs windows was windows 95 (graphic) and that windows longhorn is offical release -_-

I agree about the OpenSource thing.@Someone: FreeBSD couldn't really succeed in the desktop/laptop world because it's too complicated. Even I can't figure out FreeBSD (as a Linux user). Linux is quite hard, if you want very advance features. Plus, there are practically no good games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, America's Army on FreeBSD either.Seems like Linux is the better candidate.xboxrulz

And osknockout is finally back from vacation.

I agree with you on this osknockout, about it not helping the rest of the dev. community. Linus created Linux to be open and free so everyone could contribute. But now it seems like alot of linux OS developers have found a way to Copyright their own added features. This is ok if you are into that, but I feel it takes away from the original Linux spirit. Skyos looks very promising, but if the only opensource part of the core os is the kernel, then it saddens me to see this. We don't need another MS Windows, or Mac OS proprietary closed system.

Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way. I'm hoping Skyos goes opensource in a few years 'cause I believe it'll die away otherwise, and I'd hate to see something new die before Microsoft :P
@xboxrulz: I agree with the game and complexity comment, but still, it's a different variant of unix, each one predominantly hard to understand even if one goes from one to another.

It is really difficult thaty they succed in a market with so strong competence being a closed source. It is difficult to put such a product in the market. I think they will fail also the layout screenshot are really similar to the Gnome enviroment that i am using right now in my Debian distro. Even the icons are the same!.