xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rhodesian.dragon

Openoffice Vs. Microsoft Office Which is better?

Which program do you like?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, my favourite office program is MS Office 2007 because of its new fonts/shapeart and stuff like that. The thing bout OpenOffice (2.2), there is no Publisher or Frontpage (use Writer Maybe) and its bit too low in style, but it gives you some fonts like TSU_Comic.xxxx-jozh-xxxx

Never tried OpenOffice here, always been a Microsoft Office user. Currently i'm using the 2007 version and i think it's great, first time i got it i thought what the hell - it's totally different to the previous versions but you quickly learn how to use all the new features and where they are all located on the new ribbon. The cosmetic change is welcome too, it's a step in the right direction. First impressions i thought that i wouldn't be able to find everything i needed but that does change when you get used to it. There is so much power behind all of the 2007 applications, i especially like the image features that give documents and slideshows a nice touch up.I'm thinking of downloading OpenOffice just to chuck on my usb (which i'm currently building a nice portable set of applications i can use anywhere) so i can use it when the host computer doesn't have any editing programs etc, and i can just load up and continue working. Probably won't be using OpenOffice for desktop use though at home since i've got the microsoft Suite-HellFire

Seen the complete thread above , and the discussion  happened about in 2005 but I have seen it just now in 2009 :)

I have some words for these comments above...

Purely, in functionality wise, Microsoft Office is better and people are more and more used to it as they were taught that at the very begining when they were learning what's a computer?

But come to reality, the login how openoffice is developed and its internal programming convinces one to your Openoffice rather than Microsoft Office. Its completely open source and open format. Its just built so that what ever documents, presentations you create and save in open document format it saves interenally in XML format which is more open to all. So, even though if one day comes when the companies close their services our documents are save...

I always use openoffice and find it difficult to use Microsoft Office may be because I am used to Openoffice

-reply by Indraveni

Put it like this if I was aware of Open Office a few years ago I would have dropped it in favor of the Microsoft Office, but I grew up with Office 97, 2003 and now I am running 2007 and might eventually go with office 2010 when it comes this year or next year, especially since there seems to be an online component with Microsoft Office Suite this time.

Openoffice Vs. Microsoft Office - Which is better?Openoffice Vs. Microsoft Office

I have used both open office and MS office. Open office doesnt provide any of the features of MS office. It changes the files according to its will when we open a file prepared in any other office suits. It supports all formats but for no use. But the major advantage is that its free.  

-reply by Nithin

Perhaps, but consider thisOpenoffice Vs. Microsoft Office

No doubt you're going to find this strange, but I grew up with Microsoft Office and quickly became a convert to OpenOffice after Office 2007 rolled around. Perhaps it's only because I can do all my work without having to worry about anything fancy or what I perceive as less usability on the part of Microsoft Office. 

But in all seriousness, you can't beat the cross-platform capabilities of OpenOffice. It offers a similar experience no matter which operating system you're using, plenty of features most people would never use, and you can even manage proprietary formats for your documents (assuming you really have to). So, yes, Microsoft Office has more functionality, but having never used those extra features, I'm fine with OpenOffice and can use it without a problem.

"Better" depends upon the criteria usedOpenoffice Vs. Microsoft Office

Clearly the debate between which is "better" depends upon the criteria used (MS Office has a couple of features that I wish were in OpenOffice, but OpenOffice has a couple of features lacking in MS Office, is more intuitive, and easier for ME to use). But the bottom line is that while OpenOffice "works" AND is free, people are creatures of habit following the path of least resistance. When PC manufacturers start selling computers with OpenOffice pre-installed on a large scale, THEN we will start seeing it become popular. 

-reply by Joe Blackburn