xisto Community
Casanova1405241497

Maxtor 500GB HDD: Stores 1.8 Million Images Maxtor Hdd can store 1.8 million Images

Maxtor Hard disk With Half terabyte Space Coming soon..!

I've never seen so big hard disks yet..! Big to say But small To look at..!

The disk im talking about is a 3.5 inch in size :D

the 3.5-inch drives will be able to hold about 1.8 million 300KB images or 145 hours of quality video. Consumers could snap 50,000 JPEGs and still only use 5GB. A half terabyte of memory could handle about 100 DVDs or 250 hours of HDTV.

Maxtor will ship its 7200RPM, 3GB SATA and ATA 133 hard drives sometime between July and the end of September for use in consumer electronics, desktop computers, business applications and consumer external storage.  :D

Click here for full Article

Notice from jipman:

Use quote-tags if you want to quote something in your posts

Cool. I think I've seen other half-tera HDDs, but they've been from lesser companies. Still, the idea of being able to have a terabyte of storage with only two hard drives... I'd love to stick two of these in a top of the line computer...

3.5 inch is nothing special. All of todays harddrives are 3.5 inch. However, there should be a limit for harddisc sizes though. Since the density of any material cannot be infinite.I also hope that future harddrives will be faster, I'm moving 50 gb of data here and it's taking me an hour already. :S

I also hope that future harddrives will be faster, I'm moving 50 gb of data here and it's taking me an hour already. :S

I dont think hard drives have a future.
cummmmmoonnnn Non Volatile Solid State Storage !

at christmass i got a 256 meg mp3 player... it broke, went back to the shop, they didnt even sell the same model in 256 megs anymore, minimum was 1Gb for a few ÂŁÂŁÂŁ extra.

Infact... why not just use those battery backed up ram DIMMs ?
i know they exist (because support for them was recentkly introduced to the linux kernel, LOL) oh yeah... the expence.

oh well... when we are old, our grand kids will think we are senile when we say onlyu the crap computers like the ZX sinclair ZX spectrum didnt have moving parts...

in my day we had hard disks that spun at 10,000 rpm, and chipset fans, cpu fans, g[pu fans (and coming soon physics cards, and there fans) fans fans fans fans and more fans... even liquid cooled systems eed radiator fans.

wow.. went a little off topic. (qwijibow: considers warning himslf, then decides he's learnd his lesson and it truely sorry, then gives himself posative reputation for beeing so understanding towards the threat of a warning.)

qwij, you mean flash like memory devices? :PMost of them would dead after a half an hour of computing time, I thought flash memory couldn't have so much writing actions performed on them? Unless they fix that, there's little chance that there will be flash hdd'sblaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :(update: Still moving the 50 GB's :(... (time for SATA && RAID I guess)

The way they managed to get disks that can hold half a terra is by something so simple, I thought hard drives already did it. Currently, hard drives stor data like this:[byte1][byte2][byte3][byte4][byte5][byte6][byte7][byte8]This is a horizontal method of byte storage and the bytes take up a lot of room on disk (relatively, something that small can't tkae up a lot of room, but, you get the picture).What the half terra HDs do is store data like this (note b=byte):__________________|b||b||b||b||b||b||b||b||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_|This vertical method of byte storgae takes up far less room. If you assume that every character and space is a unit of volume on the disk (same depth for both) Then the top method takes 40 units to store the data but the bottom one only takes 24 units, a significant improvement especially when there are 549,755,813,888 bytes in one half of a terrabyte.~Viz

They sound awesome. I would like to have one myself, but like ElFoReal said, I'm also not going to be able to afford one any time soon. Maybe when the price comes down a little. :( But anyways, they do sound amazing.

Wow I dint saw these king of hard disks..! Seems they are external hard disks..! Also Very Bulky One..! 5kg disk Is too much for me..! But if they can turn thos kind of huge hard disks into thin n small Then It would Be just really amazing..!Great info Brian..!

those half terabytes have been around for a while. around January i was looking on pricewatch and there were companies already offering it, with external raid arrays of 1 or 1 and a half TB. Still, the longer they've been around the better they get, and the more they drop in price. I'll be looking to get one in 6 months or so.

External raid arrays have been up to 500GB for a while. And if we count January as a while, then the technology had been discovered a while ago as well for the new hard drives. But just this last month the first 500GB internal hard drive (one drive not a raid array) was released (I believe by Western Digital, but I could be wrong about who provides it).~Viz