xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SpartacusUSTASA

Need Help With Music File need help on getting music file to work

I was wondering if anyone can please help me with uploading a music file. I got my first hosting package and logged in without a problem.So when i'm in my cpanel account I went under the section "Site management tools" then to "file manager" Then on the file manager I uploaded a music file. so now, i clicked on properties and then found the URL and when i tried playing the music file on another site, i cant hear any music?? is their some other step i need to do? or did i do something wrong??

Most likely if you just put the link it, IE will go download the mp3 from the location and then play it with the default player. It won't display it (play the music) as it would if you linked a music file. Also, you should use and FTP client, or IE's built-in one.

So when i'm in my cpanel account I went under the section "Site management tools" then to "file manager"  Then on the file manager I uploaded a music file. so now,  i clicked on properties and then found the URL and when i tried playing the music file on another site, i cant hear any music?? is their some other step i need to do? or did i do something wrong??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't understand by "playing the music file on another site." Do you mean that you are using your hosting to store the music file and you have posted the link on a site that has a different host? If so, that should not be a problem. The only reason that would not work is if you got the URL or the file name typed incorrectly.

Do you have spaces in the file name? Does the file name use and odd punctuation? Is it an mp3, a wma, an ogg, real audio, etc?

More info would help solve your problem.

:D

hi,

I wanted Xisto so I would be able to upload a music file on my machine and have it hosted as a link. I want to post a music file onto my profile on this site im using (Myspace.com) so people can hear the music. I might be doing it incorrectly with Xisto, but i think the URL i got from my cpanel is

spartacusustasa.astahost.com/frontend/rvblue/files/select.html?dir=/home/ustasa&file=Domoljubna%20-%20Bleiburg%20ft%20Von%20Thronstahl%20-%20Awaking%20Of%20A%20Dead%20Hymn.mp3

but someone told me the URL wont work. What do I have to do to make it correct??

Here's what you should do:

1. Open IE

2. Type in ftp.yourusername.astahost.com

3. A message should come up, click ok then go to File>Login As...

4. Input your login information

5. Once you see the folders, head to "public_html"

6. Change the song's filename to something a little better, like 1 word or a few letters

7. Click and drag it to the browser

8. Once uploaded, go to yourusername.astahost.com/songfilename.mp3 and make sure it downloads and plays in your default media player

9. Copy that URL and put it wherever you need to on MySpace

ok, it wont let me get into the FTP, message pops up saying this:Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.Details:220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ---------- 220-You are user number 5 of 50 allowed. 220-Local time is now 17:25. Server port: 21. 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server. 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity. 421 Unable to set up secure anonymous FTP ---------------------------OK ---------------------------

ok so i need to have an FTP??All I want to do is to upload a music file from my computer into a URL so Xisto can host it.In my hosting first package I dont know how to upload a music file into a URL all i get is a huge menu of these options.

Notice from moonwitch:
there's no need to copy that long list, most of us have that list in our own cPanel, so it's just lengthening a post. I won't warn you for this one, since you probably didn't do it for credits.

well .. Zip the file using winzip or winrar or whatever prog u use ( suppose 4.zip) then from cpanel file manager uplaod it to ur public_html directory . Suppose u kept file name song.zip .. then just go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and u cna dload easily . Hope it helps . It will save u from prob that ie playing it directly in media player instead of download

ALrighty, heres the cavalry. :D The problem is simple, you uploaded the file using the File Manager, which works fine if you don't have FTP. FTP is prefered but that's your choice. Problem 1 : the URL you use to the file is wrong.

link dead..

This is NOT the link to the file. The address spartacususta.astahost.com:2082 is the address to your cPanel. This is NOT the link you should use. So I translated your URL, from what I see the mp3 is located in your MAIN directory

CONSOLE
/home/ustasa/thesong.mp3

Anything you want to let the people (so show on the net or play in your case) should be uploaded to

CONSOLE
/home/ustasa/public_html/

So your file is in the wrong place, that's the first error, move it to the public_html folder and then the link to it is

CONSOLE

Problem 2: the FTP error You are trying to access the FTP of your site with the anonymous account (see here's where the need for an FTP client comes in), the anonymous account is not enabled, that's something you have to do. But since FTP is not really your cup of tea, I suggest to leave it alone for the moment. If you FTP to your site, you need to connect to spartasustasa.astahost.com with your username (ustasa) and the password you use to log in to cPanel.

Problem 3: That song. Did you make the song? Is it copyrighted to you? If you are not the creator of the song, you can not host it here. It's copyright infringement.