xisto Community
Reaver

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo Diferences Of The Leading Voice Programs

TeamSpeak Vs Ventrilo  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before i start the speel i would like to say this cant be found on another forum by ME but i have sinced moved from the partner site Trap 17 to Xisto Because i feel that i will get talented replies.

The Main Reason for this post is to decide the popularity of the voice programs.
Since i currently host both a Teamspeak server and Ventrilo server and am currently in the process of creating a website for my supporters.

I would like your opinions as to which is the better program and why you think it is, since i will be basing these results on which Server i keep and provide statistics for on the website. For those that have not heard of these programs i will include a short description of each program and the websites they can be found at.

TeamSpeak

# Optimal bandwidth usage with codecs ranging from CELP 5.1Kbit to GSM 16.4Kbit to Speex 25.9Kbit for optimal voice clarity
# Local addressbook allows you to connect quickly to your favorite servers
# Webserver list allows you to find TeamSpeak servers without their IP
# Channel and subchannel creation
# Client is designed to work well with firewalls and routers
# Passworded servers and channels
# Completely configurable keybindings (hotkeys) to quickly join specified channels, mute your microphone, etc.
# Whisper functions so you can speak privately to inidividuals, groups of persons, or other channels
# Auto voice normalizing (no need to adjust your mic manually)
# Supports Microsoft Gamevoice ⢠hardware
# Windows/Linux server
# Windows/Linux client
# Text messaging in the client
# Seemless optoinal MySQL integration, allowing you to customize your server database
# Minimal CPU and RAM requirements
# Given bandwidth requirements are met, servers can easily handle thousands of users

Ventrilo

# Cross channel communications.
# User-to-user private conversations.
# Individual channels that can be created dynamically.
# Sub channels.
# Muted channels.
# Queued channels.
# Password protected server login and channels.
# Advanced channel control options and filters.
# Text-to-speech (TTS) voice generation.
# Key binding to execute special program functions, play wave files, send TTS messages.
# Separate phonetic spelling of user and channel names for proper TTS.
# Built in chat similar to IRC.
# Users can enter dynamic comments for all other users to see.
# User assigned names for server connections. No need to remember IP numbers.
# Multiple platform support for servers.
# Servers are now ready and supported on 64bit platforms.
# Ability to restrict server admin features. Useful for hosting services.
# Server specified codec's to control voice quality and bandwidth usage.

Enjoy the programs as much as i do and your responses are much appreciated

Reaver

I prefer Ventrilo for the simple reason that its what I use. I've tried both but I found teamspeak to be slightly more messy. Anyway, I dont know which of them is best, but I know that I prefer Ventrilo anyday.

Thank you for the support Nqon much appreciated yes i hope i get a lot more people voting in thsi topic so i can have a good estimate of the theme and server to use for my website

Well according to statistics posted on the web by gaming companies and server users alike, these programs are the leading ones and since i am a slave to society i hosted both these servers as a trial to see which one is better but unfortunately the decision is harder than i thought which is my reason for only having two options. Maybe you would prefer to start a topic with all the programs you recomend.Thank you for your response Atheos

TS2 vs Vent

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

The guy that posted above saying xfire is best doesn't understand what Vent and TS2 are. Xfire is the worst client out there. It's not server based so your voip depends on the big xfire servers being online (which is very rare as Viacom bought xfire and ever since then xfire has been loaded with problems). Anyway, stay away from xfire!

I use Ventrilo and TS2. I think TS2 is way too user friendly to the point that it's difficult to use if you are a tech-head/power-user. Ventrilo is my preference as anyone can be taught how to use it in a matter of a couple minutes, and on the server admin side it's got a great rcon system that's very easy to use. Ventrilo also can be customized to your likings while I can't seem to customize anything in TS2 except for key bindings.

-Burrell

TS2 vs Vent

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

The only one I've used is Teamspeak 2 because it has a client version for linux. I guess vent has one in the works but currently Teamspeak2 client is win/mac/linux. Vent is win/mac so for this reason teamspeak wins for me.

-reply by Jeremy

There are three or four of the functions of each that are important to me, but I'm rarely the one choosing, my current clan in the only game I'm active in uses Vent. Ts is a bit annoying sometimes, Vent looks classier.

I found teamspeak to be much more friendly. Both server and client configuration wasn't very logic to me...Could never remember which of the 8 volume sliders controlled the actual volume.Server also comes without a start/stop script which is unacceptable for linux daemons imho. (just downloaded latest public version, still no script or cron setup)Teamspeak is also free while ventrilo is only free up to 8 users, not useful for MMO's.Also I think the big "ventrilo is better" thing comes to the fact that ventrilo is payed. Anyone willing to pay for ventrilo is probably also willing to pay for good hosting, thus most ventrilo's run on good hosting. While teamspeak is free and everyone can run a server resulting in lots of crappy hosted teamspeaks.-reply by dyna

I found teamspeak to be much more friendly. Both server and client configuration wasn't very logic to me...Could never remember which of the 8 volume sliders controlled the actual volume.Server also comes without a start/stop script which is unacceptable for linux daemons imho. (just downloaded latest public version, still no script or cron setup)Teamspeak is also free while ventrilo is only free up to 8 users, not useful for MMO's.Also I think the big "ventrilo is better" thing comes to the fact that ventrilo is payed. Anyone willing to pay for ventrilo is probably also willing to pay for good hosting, thus most ventrilo's run on good hosting. While teamspeak is free and everyone can run a server resulting in lots of crappy hosted teamspeaks.-reply by dyna

"Both server and client configuration wasn't very logic to me...Could never remember which of the 8 volume sliders controlled the actual volume."I was of course talking about ventrilo here, forgot to mention. Sorry. Also for the double post (didn't read and thought my first posting was denied because I didn't enter an email address)-reply by dyna

Couple of years ago I needed a voice server for chatting & gaming and I end up with TS just because it was free. Crossplatform was also a big plus, because I have many Linux clients. The installation was very easy, I host TS in Win 2003 among with IIS and MySQL. Its great that both client and server versions of TS are so lightweight.The only bad thing in TS is that the voice quality is bad ONLY when playing music. The quality of normal speaking is great with 16kb Speex that takes almost none of your bandwidth. So my voice goes to Teamspeak.

Most of my experience has been with TS. I play an MMO and my guild all uses TS, however I know that a majority of the servers uses Ventrillo. From my impressions Ventrillo seems to be more popular than TS and many people who have used TS did not like it for one reason or another. I have used it for almost 3 years and have rarely had any issues with it.

Replying to iGuest Ts2 is fa superior in bandwidth control as well as quality ontrol, it uses up less resources than vent does and with much higher quality.As far as cutomization goes, you can set pretty much anything ud want, to whatver you need. It doesnt matte what it look like, why areu looking at it? play a game while you talk.. Thats what they are made for.. Not to be pretty images on a screen. And to reitterate... TS2 free and unlimited in its options as a free program... And unless you have like dsl o dial up, and a crappy comp... Anyone can host it without hinderence on performance for either the seveer or your gaming... I run a ts2 server on my gaming comp for my friends and they all have great pings, no packetloss... And the quality is unbeatable.. When I get on vent I sound like an entirely different person and it doesnt match recordings ive made on my own :P all while I'm playing a game... Listening to mp3s on winamp.. With xfire running ... And my own client side ts2 talkin to the people on my server. Trying the same things with vent, sound quality degraded and packetloss arose... It was choppy as hell and sounded like celp codecs on what was actually speex. Vent loses, TS2 wins.