xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

Getting New Vid Card which one is better

i was in shawano the other day at the walmart (supercenter) up there and i was getting some new cds and seat covers for my car (unfoutanatly didnt find the seat covers) but i was browsing their computer section and saw some things that caught my eye inlcuding two video cards, one radeon 9550 and one radeon 9200. the radeon 9550 was going for 144 dollars while the radeon 9200 was only 90 bucks. i believe that the 9550 had 256mb and the 9200 had 128 (both a whole lot better than what i have right now) both had svid out and i cant remember the rest of the specs as i didnt take a close look at the box....but from what you guys know about the radeon 9550 and the radeon 9200 which would be better for the price tag?i did look up on tiger direct for both cards but they were priced differently than walmarts (more expensive) but from what i saw the radeon 9200 was better for the price (wasnt that far off from 9550 and was supprisingly cheaper)

I have a redeon 9600 128MB, got it for about $160. 9200 for $90 bucks isn't to bad, but i have seen for cheaper here, in the computer stores here. They sell it for about 70 dollars now. But the 9550 (which i never heard of but thats ok), seems like a better deal. Because its double the memory. But overall the choice is yours.

The 9200 will let you spend a lot less to get a lot more than what you have. The difference in performance between to 9200 and 9550 won't be really noticable unless you're going to be doing SERIOUS gaming or high-end graphic design or video editing.If you ARE going to be doing a lot of things that are going to chew up your video resources, I would recommend saving up and buying something even more sophisticated than the 9550.

of those two I'd go for the 9550...I'm not 100% on what the card has for features but the 9200 is getting to be outdated a bit to be something you upgrade to. It'd be best to get a card with as many of the newer flashy capabilities that they are building into more and more games now...assuming you plan to use it for gaming

I was thinkin bout getting a radeon card but i decided to get the nvidia 6800.. it was around 200 bucks but i think it was well worth it.. i asked around before i bought it and was inquiring which was better as far as nvidia and radeon and i got the same answer to go with the nvidia.

Once you get into the highest levels of cards nvidia and ati are pretty much neck and neck, depends what games you play to depend which would be better...but usually ppl just say whatever they have is the best anyways so its irrelevant haha.Personally nVidia lost my faith when they released a couple gens of *BLEEP* cards but they seem to be back and holding their own so hopefully both companies will keep releasing primo cards

...but usually ppl just say whatever they have is the best anyways so its irrelevant haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol so true :D in my opinion i like radeon better because yea, i hav it and stuff, also it sounds better to me. Anyway this is getting a bit off topic, arguing which is better. Anyway in the end it is your choice to get the 9200, or 9550.

i was in shawano the other day at the walmart (supercenter) up there and i was both price are reasonable enough... the question is what will your computer be used for.. My computer has a 9200 128Mb ati radeon and for me its quite ok for games.. i could play any game i want since it is enough.. :D but if your computer is in for advance and serios 3d application i think the 9550 is best..

well...i would like to use the vid card for gaming, not hi end gaming exactly (well maybe - itd be nice to do that) but i wouldnt use it for designing or anything like that. Mostly what i would like to get out of the card is to be able to run HL2 at full graphics (so maybe hi end) idk...lol...that is kinda askin for a lot, seeing as it would be great to do that, but i dont really need to do that...right now what i am worrying about is saving money. and yes with the 9200 it would be outdated right away (already is in my opinion) but my paychecks (me workin at econo foods :D - tryin to get a+ cert) being around 70 - 170 dollars depending on how many hours they give me....i have limited supply (especially right now seeing as i got a speeding ticket and need to pay 156 for that thing :D) but i am also tryin to save up some to buy a nice laptop from td for only 999 and it is definatly worth it, only problem is that whether it will be outdated by the time i have money :D . . . . i think i will save up for the 9550 tho or possibly find a gforce or nvidia somewhere (spending around 200 - 250) i think i am going to look more into it tho.... thanks for the input

You're not really going to go wrong with either card. Still, I wouldn't 100% trust any video card I got at Walmart. I'd much rather go to Micro Center or shop online...

yeah that is true (walmart isnt exactly known for their computer parts) but it is cheap...and i am broke (td is where i usually get my stuff...but id be wasting money on shipping for just a vid card)

lol so true :D  in my opinion i like radeon better because yea, i hav it and stuff, also it sounds better to me.  Anyway this is getting a bit off topic, arguing which is better.  Anyway in the end it is your choice to get the 9200, or 9550.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please make sense when you talk, "I like radeon better because yea, I have it and stuff and it also sounds better to me." That is one of the worst sentances I have ever read. You can't say somthing is better than somthing else just because you have it. Geforce Is an awsome brand, and right now just a little bit better than Radeon, the specs of a Geforce 6800 pci 512mb is just a little bit higher than the radion 9800 pro. Although right now I have a Radion 9800 All In Wonder, and I 'tend to lean towards Radion but with This Gen I have leaned towards Geforce.