xisto Community
Hunguyen

Building A Website

so can anyone tell me which one is better ? html or php cuz i wanna make a pro site to get some respect. i'm making a rap group site...if nyone can help me with this please do so and please give me a link to an adecuate layout...i prefer dark colours and a nav's on both sides

php is better. But I believe if you don't have mySQL set up it won't work. Like somebody else said, you can get free templates online. I've gottens ones from draac.com. They have 9 different ones. I've actually moved on from there. I feel I can create a better layout than the templates.Plus they haven't added any new layouts in a while.

so can anyone tell me which one is better ? html or php cuz i wanna make a pro site to get some respect. i'm making a rap group site...if nyone can help me with this please do so and please give me a link to an adecuate layout...i prefer dark colours and a nav's on both sides

Actually, if you're planning to build a site, you'll still need to use PHP and HTML interchangeably. Without HTML, PHP xan only output data and perform certain actions that HTML can't. HTML and CSS add the formatting to the outputted data so that the website doesn't look monochrome [ black and white in this case ] and dull. So in essence, the question is not which is better, because PHP needs HTML to make websites look presentable. A website is NOT solely based on PHP. That's a misconception some have [ I'm not saying you specifically ].

However when I say use PHP and HTML interchangeably, I mean that you must integrate the HTML tags into PHP's echo or print functions like so:

<?phpecho "<html>";echo "<head>";echo "<title>My Site - Whatever</title>";echo "</head>";echo "<body>";echo "<font class='title'>Welcome to my website!</font>";echo "</body>";echo "</html>";?>

This is HTML and PHP at work together. It's just a small example, nothing extravagant. I hope you understand what I'm getting at. :P

Ok, I've posted this tutorial here on Xisto forums, so try to go thru it, maybe you'll get some ideas on how to make your own layout and your whole web for group. ok here is link to it:http://forums.xisto.com/topic/83476-topic/?findpost=1064300617

p.s. I hope this is helpfull, oh and you'll need photoshop for that, but an free programs can to the trick (Like GIMP)

I feel that if you are really new to Html and Php,then u shouls try sotwares like FlashSite Builder or even Xara Webstyle will be very handy for you.You can even try some of the free templates available on variety of Sites.

Im a newbie & I need to make a web site for my group and i was wondering what software should i use to make a nice website like Xisto.com I currently have dreamweaver but i do not know how to use it..please help me!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dreamweaver is an awsome app. to learn but if you cant afford to buy a book use Frontpage and its alot easier to use.

If you'd like a nice tutorial on how to make a basic site, since I geared the tutorial specifically for people like you, here's the link to it in the Tutorials Section. I would also suggest you either buy or check out from the library some of the For Dummies books, which really helped me out when I was just starting out in the web designing deal. Not only that, but many of those helping boks come with a CD with copies of freeware or temporary shareware programs that you can try out for web design.

welli always use dreamweaver (for the scripting)and adobe photoshop 7.0 for the graphics and designing and stuffhere is how i always start building a site:first i make a nice design with photoshopthis usually takes me an hour or 4 depending on the styleif its a really complicated design it will take me much longerif its really basic it will only take me like 1 or 2 hoursso DONT RUSH the designing parttake your time for ityou dont have to do it al in the same dayyou can like work an hour and do something else and work an hour again the next day (because if your getting tired of something your work will be less good)when that is doneyou got to slice it upslicing is just cutting the large entire layout image in smaller piecesthan i go to dreamweavermake a few tables and put al the images in the right placethan i add the restso basicly: be patient and if your not really really reaaally satified about a litlle thing in you design just redo it untill your happy with iti hope i have helped you

I suggest using Frontpage. It just like MS Word. All you have to do is know how to use MS word. Easy. Or you could actually learn HTML and use something like Ultra Edit. Or if you know your stuff then maybe notepad.Ryan

Here's my input:

For a beginning HTML writer, use Stone's WebWriter. While the US version is slightly outdated, it is a great beginner's tool - and it's entirely free (you can even register a Freeware version for it).

Pros:

Basic HTML templates; pre-made HTML pages with basic codes already inserted (HTML, HEAD, TITLE, BODY, etc.).

{Also comes with: glossary templates, "page has moved" templates, frames templates}

Tag Support; when making tags, the program will bring a list of tags to choose from, further helping to create a simple workspace.

Preview; the ability to preview your HTML in a browser - so you can fiddle with HTML and see your result.

META Tag Toggle: With enough experience, you will soon be able to use the meta tag insertion which comes with variables which you can define.

Cons:

Truly, I would say the only con is that the US version (it's a Danish company) is outdate, to a degree. However, the only reason I say that is because I have begun using XHTML myself and notice a few problems with trying to mesh that with Stone's WebWriter. For instance, the tags will often come already CAPPED, which is noncompliant in XHTML.

You can find the download for this wonderful program at: Stone'sWebWriter.com

=====================

As for a good hosting website (free), I would say Bravehost.com. Now, before everyone goes haywire of what I said on Xisto, realize this: I'm saying that only because Bravehost has predesigned easy to install CSS templates, and Low-experience editors. Whereas Xisto is a bit of a step up. In this fellow's case, Bravehost might serve as a good tool. That, and the fact that they have many HTML, Javascript and CSS tools which you can easily add to your site, heightening it's "entertainment level".

Bravehost is completely free, but there are Premium benefits.

=====================

If you need more help, ask and I'll be happy to assist.

Well if you want to make a simple site . You first need a free host :

http://forums.xisto.com/

webspace.biz/admin/ (Has a html editor , You dont need to code)

Then you have to learn html :

http://www.w3schools.com/

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

then you have to got more popular .

Try to join some topsites depending on what kind of site you have .

Then just keep active on your site and youll get popular in no time !

[cheesy testimonial] I have learnt loads at W3 school and I highly reccomend that any newbies also learn from it. It teaches you step by step all you need to know about PHP, HTML, XHTML, CSS etc... [/cheesy testimonial]

What's cheesy about learning from w3schools? :blink:

I write everything in Notepad, and i mean everything, so i occasionally need a quick reminder of available properties.

One site that really helped open some doors for me is MaxDesign (http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm). They have hoards of information and examples on lists, floats, and selectors. They break down everything very nicely for beginners and have documentation on the up-and-coming techniques which are just beginning to see the light of day.

I'd be surprised if no one has mentioned Eric Meyer's site (http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/) but I will anyways hehehe. His Css/Edge section is focused more towards the advanced user, but he has fathered some amazing techniques solely using css.