xisto Community
connectpal

Dialup On Wireless Network cant get this dial up connection shared

Can I Bypass The Wireless 802.11x protocol?

Dialup On Wireless Network

I got a 802.11g wireless card in my laptop, and my neighbours settings are so that only 802.11b can connect, is there anyway I can bypass the protocol ?

-question by Brandon

I got a 802.11g wireless card in my laptop, and my neighbours settings are so that only 802.11b can connect, is there anyway I can bypass the protocol ?-question by Brandon

Brandon, I'm not sure that I really understant your question.
If your neghbours settings are fixed to 802.11b, you may ask them to change these settings.
If they don't agree to change their settings, you should not try to bypass their security settings, this is not honest. :)

I was under the impression that you could set up two types of networks, one of which being "Ad-Hoc."This, as many people touched on, uses a connection provided by a computer to be shared to other computers on the network.This would require you have a dial up modem as well as an ethernet card to connect to your router (outgoing). This outgoing connection would go into the router's incoming line, you would have pre-configured the router for ad-hoc networking. As far as my understanding, this allows the router to share the computer's connection, even dial-up, through the LAN ports on the hub. Though I haven't tried at my own home, a wireless network would still exist if the router was Wi-Fi capable, and if configured for Ad-Hoc would broadcast this dial-up connection as well. This would work best in terms of dial up with a 56k or an ISDN modem (128k), otherwise unless you would just be accessing the wi-fi from a laptop, example, you might be able to deal with a 28k modem.. but that would be pushing it.Without this, you would need as unimatrix described a router that provided dial-up capabilities, while these might be novelties, I'm sure you can find one online somewhere.Regards,The Doc.Edit:Damn, this post moved fast, I changed classes at university and like six extra posts had popped up, glad to see some other users knew there was certainly a solution to this issue.

Edited by Doc.h0llyw00d (see edit history)

I got a 802.11g wireless card in my laptop, and my neighbours settings are so that only 802.11b can connect, is there anyway I can bypass the protocol ?-question by Brandon

If they are running a 802.11b network on a 802.11b router, then unless that router is capable to support g cards (unless your card is a B/G router card-- you need to check the specifics) it would make sense that you are unable to connect. Check with your card company if there is a setting you need to change to enable your card to connect to a B network. Otherwise your neighbors should purchase a B/G router that is compatible with both your system and theirs.

If you are pirating internet from them unknowingly I cannot condone that you do this, however you might be able to get them to upgrade for you by anonymously leaving a better router on their doorstep.

Good luck resolving this,
The Doc.

dial up connectionDialup On Wireless Network

I bought a new computer, and I have net zero 3G dial up. I hooked up on the phone line, but it doesn't work. It works fine on my old computer, is there any devices or connectors that I have to use? I would appreciate your help. Thanks. 

-reply by Hatsuo Higa