xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Spyware Free Computer Guide to a Safe World

This is a great way to keep out intruders from your computer and be able to keep your computer life private from others. These programs are very easy to use and come packed with free updates that will provide you with the most recent definitions.

What You Need

Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta)

To Update you definitions just go to the File tab then click Check for Updates. You should see a screen like this the one below. When the screen pops up, the software will automatically search for any new definitions. You are also able to erase your internet tracks with this beta by clicking on the tools tab, then click the advance tools, and click the tracks eraser from the menu.

Posted Image

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE

To Update you definitions just go the world icon and click it. Another window will pop up, just click connect and you will start receiving the most recent definitions. Once you have your definitions up to date click the Start button. Select the Full Scan button.

Posted Image

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Spybot is the easiest and the fast to detecting spyware on your computer. To update your definitions click the Search for Updates button. The searching for definitions will begin automatically. Once you got your definitions click the Check for Problems button.

Posted Image

You are right. These three tools are very good for fighting against spyware/adware. But I would like to add one more FREE tool in this list. It is Spyware Blaster ( http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html ). It does not remove the spyware but it prevents them to install on anybody's computer. It is very nice tool you don't have to run it on your machine daily. The only thing we have to do to update the definitions just like antivirus. And if you have money to purchase it the definitions will be updated automatically. I would suggest everyone to give a look on this tool.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the microsoft antispyware program.I have been using bazooka, adaware and spybot and the microsoft software has found an extra 6 items when the other three said there was nothing left on there.I would definately recommend using this on top of your existing software, it certainly delivers.

Yea you can have a "Computer which has no detectable spyware" but a true spyware free computer is rare... at least as far as windows boxes are concerned. But I would agree that those 3 are the best, although I havn't actually tried running the M$ anti-spyware thing yet, but thats mostly because I never think of it while on my home comp.

On my home computers I have Ad-Aware SE 1.06, Spybot S&D 1.3 and JavaCools SpywareBlaster, and considering the results I've had I think this combo works well.I'd like to reccomend something. Getting more protection is a good thing, but DON'T OVERDO IT! A safe amount is two adware/spyware programs, one virus checker, and one Spyware Blocker.You might be saying, "Why not more?" Well, having more has caused limited functionality at times, and not to mention they slow down your computer a LOT! But also, I had a friend who had SEVEN Ad/Spyware blockers on her computer, and as a result they stopped working! So look for the best ones, but don't overdo it.Also, may I say just one thing? Although I have not personally tried any Microsoft-brand Virus, Adware or Spyware scanner, I would not trust them as they have resulted in some strange results, for example I've heard a report of a Microsoft Virus Scanner saying that Microsoft Explorer was a virus!!! (No kidding!)Hope this helps all of you looking around out there.

Reports of MS's anti-spyware finding weird things like explorer or mozilla as adware are mostly, if not all, hoaxes people made. I've seen tons of screenshots of mozilla being found as "spyware" but they were all fakes.But I would agree on only needing a couple adware killers, and an antivirus really. You can have as many as you want but you shouldn't bother leaving them all running constantly scanning, but having them to hunt down pesky pieces of spyware the others cant find never hurt. (and I mean you don't KNOW if your 2 or 3 are actually doing a good job...since you just see them finding no results :P that simply means that your system doesn't have any of the spyware/adware that those programs KNOWs of hehe)

Well really, as I'm sure most of you are aware, Windows XP itself IS spyware.So Big Brother is always watching you guys...And I'll tell you, Bill sure isn't MY brother.But, really, back when I was forced to use Windows, I'll tell you what really helped more than anything...First, I didn't use AntiVirus or AntiSpyware programs.Second, I NEVER used Internet Explorer, or Windows Explorer. Needless to say, I didn't ever let ActiveX on my box get involved with anything. I've never found a reason to NOT disable ActiveX, as it's really nothing but a security risk, period.Third, I removed (that's right, as in deleted, expunged, trashed, you get the idea) explorer.exe right after the first boot, and used Program Manager (aka progman.exe) as my shell. While it's not directly related to security, I would always see quite an increase in performace, and Windows didn't feel as buggy.Not to mention it took up less desktop space than the taskbar. (when minimised)Fourth, I would use file manager (winfile.exe) rather than Windows explorer...we all know WE is the same program as IE.Fifth, other than that, nothing more than just basically good prevention habits. Don't use Outlook to check mail, Don't enable ActiveX, don't install programs you don't trust, (or anything including Gator). Prevention is the absolute best thing you can do. Although it does make me wonder that if people get this concerned about Windows security and such, why not just get OpenBSD. I don't understand why you guys jump all those hurdles just to be in the Windows world. But, if the juice is worth the squeeze for you guys, then squeeze it, I guess..Sorry about the double post (there really should be an edit button somewhere...)but I forgot, one big thing, use Windows 2000 instead of XP.

Windows 2000 won't be getting security updates much longer probably, it's already into extended support years isn't it? And suggesting people use a non-windows OS be it OpenBSD or any Linux or whatnot is understandable but pointless. No matter how many people argue it a non-windows platform cannot do everything windows can, especially in terms of usability for the general user. It might not fit your or my definition of user friendly but to most windows is 100 times simpler then anything on another platform (excluding OSX I guess)

If you want a spyware free computer, you might as well not even have one. It's super difficult to rid of ALL SPYWARE. But I reccomend buying an apple or getting firefox if you have a pc. Also, make sure you have the correct software such as AD AWARE and run it often. Good luck.