xisto Community
Mentalsatan

Wireless Router Wireless Router Networking

Hey boys and girls! this is my first post on these boards so please be nice 2 me!I have recently purchased a SMC Wireless route and its working fine!My only question is:Is it possible to make a network over the router, or can it only be used to route the internet to other computers! I would like to share files on my main computer with other computers in my home network and havnt been successful in finding a way to do so yet!Any help would be apriciated greatfuly!Mentalsatan(Aaron)

Hey boys and girls! this is my first post on these boards so please be nice 2 me!

I have recently purchased a SMC Wireless route and its working fine!

My only question is:

Is it possible to make a network over the router, or can it only be used to route the internet to other computers! I would like to share files on my main computer with other computers in my home network and havnt been successful in finding a way to do so yet!

Any help would be apriciated greatfuly!

Mentalsatan

(Aaron)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, i also want to know

It is very easy to create a home network over a router. I will just assume you are using Windows XP. Open the Start Menu and open the Control Panel. Then click on Network Connections. On the Task Bar to the left of the Network Connections Window, click Set up a home or small office network.Then click Next and then Next. Select This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network and click Next.Then if you haven't setup your computer name, type in what you want and click next. Type in the workgroup you want to use for network. (You must remember this name to use on the rest of the computers you will do this on.)After this it will ask if you want to make a Network Setup Disk. You can choose do make one or you can repeat these steps on the rest of the computer manually.

Of course it's possible, and it's a great thing to have.Because XP directions were already given, I'll post the OS X way.First, you need to have File Sharing turned on, which is in the Sharing pane of the System Preferences. Turn on Fire Sharing, and voila, you can set options concerning how people can access your computer. To actually connect to a computer on the network though, you need to (on the client computer) go to "Go" in the menu bar, and then Connect to Server. Enter the server address, or you can browse, but then connect and you'll be prompted for your username/password. This should be your regular login name and password, though you can create a separate account just for file sharing. That's pretty much it, but remember to turn on File Sharing for each computer you want to access.Now, a greater concern is wireless security. Now that you have file sharing turned on, people can access your data. If you use a modern router, turn on WPA, or if it's a tad older, turn on WEP. WEP is still pretty easy to crack, but hey, it's something.

It is very easy to create a home network over a router.  I will just assume you are using Windows XP. Open the Start Menu and open the Control Panel. Then click on Network Connections.  On the Task Bar to the left of the Network Connections Window, click Set up a home or small office network.

Then click Next and then Next. Select This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network and click Next.

Then if you haven't setup your computer name, type in what you want and click next. Type in the workgroup you want to use for network. (You must remember this name to use on the rest of the computers you will do this on.)

After this it will ask if you want to make a Network Setup Disk. You can choose do make one or you can repeat these steps on the rest of the computer manually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankyou very much VJgamer + Soleq this was a great help! Sorry i forgot 2 mention my OS (Yes it was Windows XP)

Cheers alot!

Mentalsatan

(Aaron)

Hey boys and girls! this is my first post on these boards so please be nice 2 me!

I have recently purchased a SMC Wireless route and its working fine!

My only question is:

Is it possible to make a network over the router, or can it only be used to route the internet to other computers! I would like to share files on my main computer with other computers in my home network and havnt been successful in finding a way to do so yet!

Any help would be apriciated greatfuly!

Mentalsatan

(Aaron)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can use a router to create your own network or you can use it to connect to the Internet. If you are connecting it to the Internet the purpose it serves is to weed out unwanted traffic and help protect yourself from hackers.

Yea running a home network is pretty awesome. Makes it easy to run lan games and makes file sharing between computers a breeze (as well as the mentioned firewall capabilities of most routers to make your network and computer much more safe whilst venturing around the interwebs)

Any help appreciated. I need to get into my wireless router to configure security (WEP-WPA) ,,The first window is asking for user name and password.Nothing I tried works..Can't get any further . Any ideas anyone ? I need to do this as other are using my Wireless.ThanksGuruji-Guruji

I can

Wireless Router

We have a wireless router and a wired router that provides internet to the office, the wireless router was tampered with now I can't log onto it anymore, but when I connect it to the wired router, I am able to get internet wirelessly, problem is it is not secure and I can't log on to it, so is there a way I can dial into it, cause at this present moment it is acting as an access point.

-question by Sipho

Any help appreciated. I need to get into my wireless router to configure security (WEP-WPA) ,,The first window is asking for user name and password.
Nothing I tried works..Can't get any further . Any ideas anyone ? I need to do this as other are using my Wireless.

Thanks

Guruji

-Guruji

The best thing to do is check the documentation for your particular router. Most likely the default is blank, administrator. or the manufacturer's name.

I also use Network Magic, it came with my D-Link router. I don't like it a lot, but it can sometimes repair the connection in Windows. The adapter doesn't have a problem in Linux though, using ndiswrapper.As for the username and password, the username is usually Admin or Administrator and the password is blank unless otherwise indicated in your router's documentation.

Intenet on My IphoneWireless Router

I have a iphone which is not able to connect to wireless router outside the room.I have a laptop which can access wireless signal from same router from much greater distance.So is it possible to access internet through Laptop(using Wifi Signals) on iphone through networking.

-question by shaishav

I need help with a used adsl wireless routerWireless RouterI just bought a used broadband adsl wireless router but unfortunately there is a user name a password already configured on it I need help on how bypass the password or reset a new password and a username. Pls help.-question by kross

i want to use dsl router to share files.one has windows another xp.can i do thatWireless Router

hi guys ..I read all your posts..Gud work...Any waysmy problem is ,,I have a windows xp in my pc wired with an dsl router.The router has the wifi option so I connect internet in my lap using wifi. The laptop has vista in it. I want to share the files b/w my pc and laptop making a link frm wirless to wired using the dsl router...Can I do that ..If so how? pls help me...

-question by smartshank