xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Noonster22

Yahoo's Microphone Feature Or Skype?

Skype is a revolutionary internet software that is changing the industry, if not crippling it. It offers its users with free telephone calls to others using Skype also.From the makers of Kazza, Skype too capitalises on p2p (peer-to-peer) technology. Skype has a very clean interface, better than that of many rival softwares. Some rivals includes, but is not limited to Vontage VOIP, ATT Callvantage, etc. These companies offers the same thing as Skype -- calls via your computer.However Skype is not that hyped. It is restricted to calling other Skype users. Never the less, if you pay a "per-minute" fee, you can call to ordinary house phones. Otherwise, you are restricted to calling only other Skype users.If this is the case, it can be compared to the "TALK" or "VOICE" feature on MSN, Yahoo, and AIM. It allows you to use your microphone to "call" the other user. It is completely legal, as using the "VOICE" feature on MSN would be.For more information, visit Skype.com!

Skype has a very clean interface, better than that of many rival softwares. Some rivals includes, but is not limited to Vontage VOIP, ATT Callvantage, etc.

These companies offers the same thing as Skype -- calls via your computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that these companies offer the same thing as skype: voIP calling via the Internet network, the sending of voice data over the Internet. However, these paid-for boradband phone companies actually give you real phones to speak into although the data is transferred the same way as Skype, whereas for Skype, you'll have to contend with your microphone.

Ok, the point is Skype technology is much better than the others that you guys mentioned. I have been using Skype and love it so much even though the other end has to have Skype installed on their computer. The voice quality on Skype is really something that other companies should improve to be equal or better.I went overseas to Vietnam two months ago and were chatting with my girl over Skype. It was like we were talking over local telephone network. We didnt encounter any signal corruption. It was between VN and Australia. We both were on dial-up connections. What can do better in that situation.Cheap telephone cards use VOIP technology too but they cost some money and not always as good as Skype.If you'd love to talk over MSN, AOL or YM, you should know that the person you wanna talk to must have one of those available on their machine too.I'll tell you what you can do when you wanna talk over the network with costing anything, convince your friends install Skype or whatever communicating software you are using. Hehe, at the beginning, not everyone has MSN, AOL or YM on their machine.Use something that works for you, not something that is popular.Cheers,

I agree with what everyone is saying about Skype.

However I also agree with rustyburrito:

I tried skype but the problem was none of my friends used it.  Now I just use the microphone feature on AIM or MSN messenger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know that many people using Skype so it is pointless to use it until I get more friends to use it. Unfortunately I cannot make them use it if they do not want to use it.