xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lesmizzie

Has Anyone Tried Tiger? The new OS release called Tiger

I've been using Tiger since a couple days after it's release and am very pleased. I tried it first as an upgrade since I needed some time to get my backups together (stupid to even upgrade without backups, but I was anxious to try it) then as a reformat and reinstall. It definitely runs better as a reformat and reinstall.I've found that there are little things that just works better - such as a bug in more recent versions of Panther that causes iBooks to forget their color profiles.There is a very useful built-in dictionary, and Spotlight is absolutely astonishing. For most tasks it runs better than Panther and the RSS support in Safari is much welcomed. There are a lot of cosmetic improvements - and some problems too, the new Mail.app is U-G-L-Y; and if you have show file extensions on (which I need), .app files show their .app extension (technically a more correct behavior, but I tthink it just looks cluttered.Overall, I think you'll really like it. And no, there's no way to upgrade your G3 - it's the type of processor it has

You should be able to upgrade you G3 to Tiger.  Apple has said that any computer that can run Panther should run Tiger.  You do need a DVD drive to install it.  (unless you use Apple's disk trading program.)  I have used Tiger and I love it.  If you've got the money (and especially if you qualify for an education discount) I recommend it.

To put is simply, you can't upgrade your iBook from a G3 to a G4 or G5.  It might be possible, but I've never heard of someone doing it.  It just wouldn't be worth it.  So I would say your best option would be to buy a new iBook G4 and then you could get Tiger and iLife '05 for free.

1064304089[/snapback]

Actually, as I recently discovered, you do not *need* a DVD drive to install as long as you have an external firewire drive (or iPod) of some sort and a Mac with a DVD drive somewhere to prepare the image. You can boot and install off of the firewire drive on the less capable Mac. You can even use a DVD-capable iBook or Powerbook in target mode to install a non-DVD system.

Hi,I thought I'd just add on on this old thread.. (I can't contribute to the Tiger-Debate, because the last Mac OS I used before was 9.2 ^^)What do you think about the newest Tiger Update (10.4.3)?When Software Update installed it on my iBook it crashed my system and I couldn't boot anymore, but well now that I've got I think it is nice, even though it doesn't fix all issues that I had hoped for to be fixed.I actually took my iBook to the AppleCenter because I thought it was warranty issue (system-intern thing) and they quietly took it. When I wanted to collect they suddenly came up with the sum of 114€ ^^ because it was a software issue (caused by the system though...). I was kind of shocked, but I talked for ages until I got it back for free ^^ So 10.4.3 will always be a number with a personal history for me =)did you install the update already? do you like it?Ruben

<snip>

did you install the update already? do you like it?

Ruben

1064329305[/snapback]

Installed it with no problem. I went ahead with it to make sure that I had the patch for the recent Apache-PHP worm. I have not noticed any issues with the new version other than the usual pain of updating all of my keychains.

Installed it with no problem. I went ahead with it to make sure that I had the patch for the recent Apache-PHP worm. I have not noticed any issues with the new version other than the usual pain of updating all of my keychains.

1064329643[/snapback]

Actually, that is not quite true. I have run into problems with the update; it just took me a bit to pin them down to the update. I am experiencing problems with Mail and Safari, particularly with Keychain access. Safari is not updating the Keychain properly when I change a password for a website (although it claims to update it) and Mail is succeeding in connecting to some servers even with a bogus password (it is not reading the password it claims to be, I assume). Keychain Access will refuse to let me update certain password entries. The various 'First Aid' routines (for Keychain and for the file system) do not show problems.

I believe, from reading various forums and discussions on the Apple site, that it may be a corrupted copy of Keychain Access and/or the Keychain support frameworks, which were changed in this release. The standard update patches the binaries rather than replacing them. I have downloaded the combined 10.4.3 update and will install that shortly to see if the problems go away. The combined update contains the latest versions of the whole applications and frameworks rather than patches and other folks report success in making the odd problems go away.

It was included on my new computer, unfortunately I'm not the person to really testify on it. I recently had to get a replacement computer because everytime I installed any program from a CD it would seize up. Here's to hoping it was just memory issues and not programming errors.