xisto Community
insanity10117

LCD Monitors to use or not to use

i run two computers with monitors side-by-side: one runs aim/yahoo/msn, the other runs mIRC and internet/games. pretty neat set up i have but i really want an LCD monitor. with 2 bulky CRT's on my desk it leaves me little room for accessories for two computers and i'd think an LCD for the aim/yahoo/msn computer would be really nice. what is your feel on LCD monitors? my feel is as long as they work good great, i'll use em. im also thinking about getting one, which one should i get, if anyone has recomendations.

I'm no expert or anything, but from what I've read in PC magazines and various websites, CRT monitors are the way to go. Apparently there are a lot of things to look out for with LCD monitors, things concerning dead pixels and viewing angles are the main things to look for I think. Personally I'd prefer a CRT monitor over LCD just because of the viewing angle problems. I know that when I'm using the computer I'm always sitting in front of the monitor, so this really shouldn't be a problem... but little things like that really sh*t me. CRT monitors are also considerably cheaper, and that's another big factor to think about when deciding which way to go... at least it is for me anyway, I'm not the rishest bloke in the world if you know what I mean.I've been using an old HP 15" CRT monitor for the past 6 years and do plan on buying a new monitor when ever I can get some money together... and I'll just be getting a nice 17" Flatron or something of that manner. People say LCD screens are a lot clearer and have a much better picture, but I honestly don't think the difference between the two aren't that big.But having said all that, if space is the biggest issue for you, and you can afford 2 LCD monitors then it may be the best option for you... just do some homework first and make sure your buying good quality stuff and not cheap crap that's just going to break down after a year or so. Check warranty lengths too... you don't want to buy a monitor with a 12 month warranty and then you get dead pixels after that year.So, personally I'd say CRT is the way to go... but that's just me.. LCD might be best for you.

The higher the contrast ratio. the better it is. Now go Google what is contrast ratio :-p

I've always had cheap CRT monitors, now that in itself is not a big deal, but my issue was that they'd give me headaches. And I do mean headaches to the point where everyone has to leave the house, I can not even tolerate people talking in the room on the oposite side of the house. (actually its a migraine LOL)Now, since I got this old laptop, it's got an TFT screen (of course). I haven't had this headache thing anymore. Which is why I want to stick with LCD/TFT etc. The major downfall for me is their price and the fact that aparently there is discoloration. Which needless to say is not the handiest thing if you're trying to get more serious about graphic design :(So a good friend of mine, who's a pro graphic designer, told me I should stick with CRT (The discolouration doesn't occur there) but need to make sure the refresh rate is over 90Hz. Any input on this? If price is an issue, I would stick with CRT. But I've been looking around and decent CRT monitors 19" cost as much as LCD ones of 19" here :D So that does have me puzzled (I am talking about 500 to 600 EURO!!!)

My office uses LCD monitors and I find the resolution, contrast and overall visual feedback the very best... there's not much glare and you can keep sitting in front of an LCD monitor for longer periods. Go in for a 17" LCD monitor and not only will you appreciate the internet better, be able to open more windows and dock them next to each other but you'll also enjoy clearer imaging and graphics when playing videogames or watching movies.. the only drawback as I see it is that when you view the monitor from an angle, there's a slight bit of shadow.. so things don't appear all that clear.. but if you plan to use your monitor with the unit right in front of you.. then an LCD is what you're looking for.. Hope you get a great deal

I've thought about getting an LCD monitor but there are two things stopping me. One is the price. I'm a poor college student so I don't have the extra money to spend on a monitor, especially when the two I have now work. And I've heard that LCD monitors have trouble with games sometimes. I don't want to get one if it is going to ghost alot. It has been a while since I've heard about the problems with ghosting so I'm wondering if it is still a problem. But whether or not it will ghost I doubt I will get one anytime soon because of the price.As for you, I'd be sure to read reviews about the monitor before you buy it. If it sounds good and you have the money then I'd buy it.

Well iam not expert but i knwo something. First of all like one said before that contrast ratio the more the better. Its not true at all. It totally depends of screen size and brightess ratios. Otherwise if conrast ratio is too high it messes up the colors and they get out of balance. Main thing you have to ask is: do i use this lcd for playing. if yes you need response time at least 16ms (the lower the better). and it must be acctual response time not some strange average like some producers give. But still the main concern is price.If you could give the price range i could suggest couple of models for you.Sry if there are any typos.

I too was looking at getting an LCD for the computer I'm saving for, and my main concern was the "ghosting" that most LCD's are famous for, as I not only enjoy surfing and graphic editing, but I'm also addicted to FFXI and I also play a few FPS's as well.

After going over to Tom's Hardware and doing a bit of looking around, I found an article talking about different "high end" 19" LCD's.

The one that grabbed my eye was the Hyundai (Image Quest) monitor, seen here on newegg. Affordable for the performance delivered. I full on intend to purchase one of these once I get the $_$ saved up :)

Here's the link to the LCD article, if this could be merged with my last post that'd be great:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/