xisto Community
AnarchyCow

I'm Thinking Of Switching From Windows To Linux... I have a few Questions...

No, if you use linux, then you use linux applications.just like linux porgrams will not work in windows.If you want to contanue to use windows applications, then you should stick with windows.you can emulate windows applications in linux, but its best to avaid that.

I believe it's worth montioning that many Windows applications, have Linux replacements, or even Linux ports. AIM and Yahoo have Linux ports, and GAIM can be used to access ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and other networks as well..Remember, because there is no Internet Explorer for Linux, doesn't mean Linux has no other web browsers out there :)Sorry about the double post, but I cannot see an "edit" button anywhere..But how about you put down a list of Windows programs you must hve, and what they do for the not-so-obvious ones, like AIM and such, and it's very likely me, as well as others here can give you a list of Linux applications that will do what you want to do.

Ok hey im thinking of switching from my Window to a Linux OS...

But first i do have a few questions...

1. How much do it cost if it costs anything?

2. What about all my Microsoft Apps and Games...

3. Would I be able switch my PC over without having to restore completely I'l willing to and want to baddly...

4. How fast does Linux run?

Thanks,

First to answer these question rep will go up...

lol

Brandon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe you can still download some versions of linux for free.

some windows games are also available in unix/linux versions (check the companies webpage)

there is a version of linux that runs side by side with windows, It's called linux4windows but I never was able to get it setup.

Linux runs just as fast as windows if not faster. The only problem I've ever had with linux is that I could never get my ethernet card to setup. so therefor I could never use my home network, thats the ONLY reason I switched back to windows.

The very *first* thing you'll want to do is find a Linux distribution.

These different distributions are, well, greatly different, and they can be as different as XP and Panther. But they all run Linux applications. There are no SuSE apps or Red Hat apps, only Linux.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Is that the right URL? Erm, well, there are about a hundred distributions (give or take a hundred), and there's a list right there.

I tried SuSE, and I didn't like it... Red Hat seems to be about the most 'famous' distribution but it costs a bit. There are plenty of free distributions out there, though, and many have plenty of features.

Once you find a distribution you'll want to go to its web site. Most distributions come in the form of a CD image that you need a CD burner to use. But you can buy CD's already made, or simply find a different distribution that doesn't require a CD burner.

After you make the CD (or whatever you needed to do) you have to repartition your hard drive. Go into control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management. If you're exceptionally lucky there'll be a spot that says 'Unpartitioned' or something. As long as it's big enough (2 gigs is fine) you can go on to install Linux.

If you're not as lucky as this all your hard drive space will be partitioned. If so you can still continue (do you really need Windows?) or install a new hard drive.

Once this is done you can go on and install Linux.

Just follow the installation instructions, and *hope* the partition info is right. If you have any empty space there shouldn't be any problems. Otherwise you should pick up the phone and call up your neighborhood computer nerd.

Congratulations. You may or may not have installed Linux. If the latter, scream.

---

In a nutshell:

Download Linux.
Burn a CD (select 'from disk image').
Install a new hard drive.
Install Linux using your new CD.
Wonder what the heck went wrong.

Disclaimer: If this all doesn't work, don't blame me. Consult a professional. I'm not one. :)

:)

--ihope

I was never promted with this window how else would I do this... Like set up the partitions... When i restored it never gave me any window... any window like that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need a windows emergency startup up disk like from Win 95, Win 98, WinME, or any 'boot disk' that starts your computer in DOS. Most will start the system giving you four options like

1. Help.

2. Start with CD Rom Support.

3. Start without CD Rom Support.

4. Minimal Boot.

If you don't choose one of the above it will by default to help. No matter which one it starts with you want to do two things and the first is to fdisk your disk, so choosing option 4. Minimal Boot is the best because you don't need CD Rom support to fdisk or format.

when you see the a prompt as below.

a>

then type fdisk and press enter as below/

a> fdisk |

then you will be taken to a screen where you can next delete a logical partition which is what you want to do. After you have deleted the partition you then want to create a partition while still in the fdisk utility. st select option 4. View partition information and make sure that there is in fact no partition defined then you want to define one so in this case it is up to you to decide how much you want for DOS, which windows will work on. Or you could just partition the whole thing as a primary DOS partition.

Then you will have to restart your computer and this time you should choose Start with CD Rom Support. Then when you see the a prompt again you want to type in format c: and return as below.

a> format c: |

this will wipe your disk clean and you can now install whatever software you have.