xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kurt18th

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy fun fun fun

Has anyone ever played the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text game? I remember playing it awhile ago on my friend's really really old Mac. It was a fun game, though I got stuck very earlier and stopped playing. I saw the movie yesterday. I had never read the book and watching the movie was funny because it was just like the game. But then again that is pretty obvious that it'd be like that. Anyways, I'm gonna go and try to buy that game. It'll prolly be like $100 on eBay.

I think its more then just a trilogy... there is like 5 books

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Life, the Universe, and Everything

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Mostly Harmless

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The game you are talking about is an interactive fiction - kinda like choose your own adventure

The TV series was followed in 1984 by a best-selling "interactive fiction", or text-based adventure game, distributed by Infocom. Titled simply The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it was designed by Adams and Infocom regular Steve Meretzky and was one of the most successful produced by the company. As with many Infocom games, the box contained a number of "feelies" such as a "Don't panic" badge, some pocket fluff, and an order for destruction of Earth.
The game was resurrected in September 2004 by the BBC for the Hitchhiker's section of the Radio 4 website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4) as part of the publicity for the initial broadcast of the Tertiary Phase, and is currently still available to play  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml) online. This new version uses an original Infocom datafile with a custom-written interpreter, by Sean SollĂŠ, and Flash programming by Shimon Young, both of whom used to work at The Digital Village. The new version includes illustrations by Rod Lord, who was head of the studio that produced the guide graphics for the TV series. On March 2nd 2005 it won the Interactive BAFTA in the "best online entertainment" category.

~Wiki

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml
there is the game, you can play it online ;D

I read the Hitchiker's guide ages back but I never knew there was a game. Yesterday I went to see the new movie with a few friends, but it didn't stay very true to the book. On the other hand, Douglas Adams was supposed to have changed everything every time he did something with the Guide. I think the TV series were better, though the movie had some nice effects. Earth blowing up was a bit of an anti climax though.. not loud enough :(

I've played that text-based game (or now reknowned as Interactive Fiction), on the PC, it came out around the 1980s made by Infocom.I'm positive you can find it on some abandonware site, if you want to play it again. I don't, it'll be too addictive and I'll never get anything done.DON'T PANIC!!!Cheers,MC

I think its more then just a trilogy... there is like 5 books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The game you are talking about is an interactive fiction - kinda like choose your own adventure

~Wiki

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

there is the game, you can play it online ;D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's called the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy because it has 5 books. :( Thanks for the link!

And jet, was the movie based on just the first book, or multiple of the books? I'm a bit curious...

lacking_imagination: I just read on a site that the movie is just another different edition of the hitchhiker's guide, like the tv series, the radio stuff and the book. They're all basically different versions of the same story.

kurt18th: I found the game on an abandon ware site called Oldgames.org. Here's the link. It's free, you don't have to buy it (If you did, you got ripped off.). It's a great game!
The link dream gave is the same game in flash version with added images. I don't think it can be downloaded, so if you have a slow connection, the game would go slower for you.

I think the TV series were better, though the movie had some nice effects. Earth blowing up was a bit of an anti climax though.. not loud enough :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, I heard the Tv series was horrible :(

Secondly, technically there's no sound in space, so that would explain the lack of the "earth shattering kaboom!" What bit of sound you did hear was probably due to soundwaves bouncing through the brief puff of ozone that was left.

lacking_imagination: I just read on a site that the movie is just another different edition of the hitchhiker's guide, like the tv series, the radio stuff and the book. They're all basically different versions of the same story.

kurt18th: I found the game on an abandon ware site called Oldgames.org. Here's the link. It's free, you don't have to buy it (If you did, you got ripped off.). It's a great game!

The link dream gave is the same game in flash version with added images. I don't think it can be downloaded, so if you have a slow connection, the game would go slower for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the one I can download. I just remember being stuck in a part where it was pitch black and I could'nt either talk or move. I hope I've gotten smarter over the years so I can figure it out this time.

Turns out that my intelligence has completely gone down the drain. I can't even get out of my bedroom now. How do I make my hangover go away without getting bulldozed?? Wow, I figured this game out when I was like 10 but now I can't. How pathetic... :(

Ahh yes that part had me confused for a while too stupid brick I say. What you have to do is lie down in front of the bulldozer and just wait, Ford Perfect would show up and offer you his towel, keep laying down and then ask him “what about my house” and then keep waiting until Perfect convinces the bulldozer driver to take over your spot for you =P, I busted out the book the figure out how to do it.Note: Play the flash version, there is graphics and a GUI (graphics user interface) to further help you in the game.

And if you can't get out of the dark, try the (***spoiler***) lights!

And there should be something in your gown that could help you with the headache. I have only gotten up onto the spaceship right now, I'm a bit too busy to play the game...

I used to play this game when I was still using my Apple-compatible. In fact, I used to play a lot of text adventure games, many of them with graphics. I always had problems near the beginning of the game and thus, have never finished it. I only bought the book later when I saw it at the bookstore. It's a really weird but amusing story, though.

What is it like?Is it like one of the game that has to build space ship and colonies? And after that we have to build our own spaceship to conquer the galaxy or something like that?