xisto Community
konedima

Whats The Best Tool For A Beginner? whats the best program for a beginner?

Your question is really general, but I'll try to answer it the best I can. If you could give some more information like what experience you have and what you are wanting to do with programming that would help. I'll assume since this in the Gaming Programming section that you are wanting to make games. Depending on what kind of games you wanting to make you will need different tools. If you are interested in web games, then you might want to look into Flash (which I know nothing about).

If you are wanting to make desktop games I would suggust that you learn either Java or C++. If you are new to programming, then Java would probably be a better choice, although either would work. In my opinion Java is a little easier for beginners than C++ is.

Assuming you want to use Java, the main tool you will need is the JDK, Java Development Kit. You can find it on Sun's web site. They also have some tutorials on Java. Also check out the tutorial section here, I know there is a beginning Java tutorial there.

I hope this helps out some. If you need anymore information just ask.

If you're going to use Java I recommend the Eclipse Development Environment. It's by far the best IDE I've used for Java development. Another one that others like that I'm not too keen on is Borland's JBuilder. It has a built in GUI creation tool, but I was not impressed with the code created by it. There are plugins for Eclipse that do a much better job in my opinion.

I'd recommend that if you learn Java, try and make the jump to C/C++ eventually. It's a lot more powerful. Java makes everything easy but comes with the overhead of having to run the Java Virtual Machine and isn't near as fast as a precompiled C++ program. The most difficult aspect for most people to grasp in C++ is pointers but if you just read some tutorials and learn some pointer arithmetic it's not that bad. I'd also recommend looking at the assembly generated by your compiler sometime to see how it allocates memory, this can help you understand pointer math a lot, and you only really need to understand a couple assembly instructions to understand most of it.

I've heard of a program called DarkBASIC. It's based on the old BASIC programming language, but it's revamped for game programming. This might be a good place to start to learn basic game theory.

The advice of these others are quite correct. But if you want to progress faster I would get into either DirectX or OpenGl right away. For DirectX the easiest approach would be to get Microsoft Visual Studio, preferable with a student discount. I think OpenGL is a little more programming platform independent and there are great tutorials on the internet (I reccommend Jeff Molee's NeHe tutorials). If you get discouraged take a break and seek inspiration in programmable games like Starcraft and Neverwinter Nights. The programming features of these are so flexible people have made modules that simulate competely unrelated games. There is fantasy roleplaying module that someone cooked up for starcraft. Another person made a modue for Neverwinter Nights that simulates a collectible card game (its called Demon Cards). With these as programming platforms you can see some spectacular results fairly quickly and find the inspiration to keep studying the basics which will liberate you from their limitation. All the tools you need to get started with these come with the games, and there are plenty of examples in the modules that others have written that you can download (find them with a google search).

I always suggest GameMaker, since you can make games with it in a very easy way, even if you don't know anything about programming. When you want to make some more advanced games you should learn GML (GameMaker Language), the language of GM. With GML you can make 3D games that look pretty cool. This is the website of GM. And you can download the latest version of it here. Click here to download the documentation.

Dear konedima,

If you have never programmed before,
and you want to experience what is required
to deliver a running game,
I propose that you take a look first at a very
simple environment.
One that does not immediately requires you
to learn a computer language, but rather allows
you to focus your attention on the LOGIC that
is needed to produce a program, and also gives
you a simple interface that you can use to design
your game.

Please visit the Peter Programming System at this site:Peter

At first look, it may seem childish, but don't be fooled
by the cute looks: programming a game is not simple,
you will need logic, discipline, planning, and before
all: AN IDEA !

So: look at the examples, and download PeterLite.

konedima, the best program for someone who has never programmed before is easily Game Maker 9https://www.yoyogames.com/.
It has a simple and easy to use interface, you don't have to write any code to make a game because it has a drag & drop feature that makes it easy to produce games. But if you want to use code you can use it's built-in langauge, GML (Game Maker Language). GML is based of C++'s structure, so you should be able to get some skills so you can learn that. Also if you learn to program in a langauge that can create .dll's (dynamic link libraries) thenyou can extend the features. The newest version has built in featrues to make 3D games, but requires a 20 dollar registration fee to do so.
You can also make online games with it, there are alot of things you can od with it.
It also has a very active support community http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have no idea which tool might be the best one for a programming beginner, I just want to let you know, that Microsoft offers a Visual Studio 2005 Beta Version HERE By the way, HTML seems to be the easiest language, it sure is the best way to start and learn what a programming language is. GreetingZ

I have no idea which tool might be the best one for a programming beginner, I just want to let you know, that Microsoft offers a Visual Studio 2005 Beta Version HERE

By the way, HTML seems to be the easiest language, it sure is the best way to start and learn what a programming language is.

GreetingZ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HTML is a Markup Language. It's not really programming. It uses a series of tags to tell a web browser or other html parser to format a page. HTML is not a good place to start learning how to make games.

If you want to learn easy, you should try GML, it's very easy to learn and it's like a simple version of C++, so if you want to learn something else after that you can more easily learn. It's also made to design games, so you learn also something about making games, for downloading GM see my first post, or click here

Well since you posted in the game programming section I assume you want to learn a program that will enable you to create games.So my suggestion to you is Game Maker, although it is not a programming language per se, it enables begginers to get into the world of programming with more ease, gain experience, and than either stay with the program and make more advanced stuff or move on to more robust programming languages.You should definately check the Game Maker community at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and get some impressions from the hundereds of available games to download.

Depends. You could make a Myst-like game in HTML using image maps. You could also make the electronic version of one of those choose-your-own-adventure books. But no, HTML isn't generally considered a game making language.

HTML is a Markup Language.  It's not really programming.  It uses a series of tags to tell a web browser or other html parser to format a page.  HTML is not a good place to start learning how to make games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right, of course programming games and HTML have got nothing to do with each other. But I think it's a good starting point for somebody who has absolutely NO programming experience. Next he can get to know Javascript and so on and so on ...

For me it's till hard to understand what a class is, what a function is, what a variable is ... and all this. I think it makes no sense to use graphical programming tools without understanding what's going on in the source code. Well, I talking about programming a little calculator in Visual Basic for example. That's a different pair of shoes than programming a game, and I have absolutely nooo idea about things like that.

GreetingZ

That's right, of course programming games and HTML have got nothing to do with each other. But I think it's a good starting point for somebody who has absolutely NO programming experience. Next he can get to know Javascript and so on and so on ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that's the best way to learning game programming, it takes a lot more time if you first learn HTML then JavaScript and so on. GML is just as easy, or maybe even easier to learn and it's much more similar to normal programming languages then HTML/JavaScript. No, there must be easier ways to make games then HTML. :D