xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

Gooooogle Page Rank

As I understand it, Page Rank is a numerical value for a site based on how "valuable" it is on the 'net, i.e. the more links you have coming to your site, the higher the Page Rank. A higher Page Rank then leads to a better position on a Google search, moving you closer to the very first listing.My observation is that it doesn't matter. With my site, my Page Rank is 0 but a search on Google puts me at #10. So why is my site listed so prominently on Google yet my Page Rank is so low?

Hi again soleimanian,You are showing up "high" on the page results because of the Keywords you used to search for your site in the google search engine. For that particular Keyword(s) you might be the only webpage (or one of a very few) who use those keywords on their webpage.The other possibility is that your website is linked to more "high" ranked webpages than some of the other websites who are listed on the results page below you.Do a little detective work by comparing the "source" code of your webpage vs. the others listed on the google results page & you'll find out that what I'm saying is essentially correct.RGPHNX

I was just trying to understand the things about Google Page Rank today and I got some infos like:

"...there’s some evidence to suggest that Google is paying a lot of attention these days to the text in a link’s anchor when deciding the relevance of a target page – perhaps more so than the page’s PR"

In fact it's based on some crazy math forumula. If you're good at maths and you really want to understand ALL of Page Rank so check this website: http://www.sirgroane.net/google-page-rank/

Good luck :P

Google's Pagerank is heavily influenced by the number of highly-ranked websites linking to a particular websites, rather than the content and keywords used in that perticular websites. If you have a lot of websites, especially those with a high pagerank, then your site will naturally have a high pagerank. Trying to tweak the keyword density etc helps, but only by a little.

Okay... being a "newbie" to setting up a website.... I have a couple questions.What is a "Pagerank"??? Where do I go to try and find out what an individual page of my website is ranked? Is there a program that you run that tells you that, or is that some type of tool that you use thru Google that assignes that number?Another question:If your webpage is only as strong as those other "highly-ranked websites" that link to you... how does a person find out what those "highly ranked websites" are, to then begin going about getting them to somehow refer your website to them???I know... all very "Newbie" questions... but I warned ya at the start of this post! *grin*Thanks for your help.

My observation is that it doesn't matter. With my site, my Page Rank is 0 but a search on Google puts me at #10. So why is my site listed so prominently on Google yet my Page Rank is so low?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are right. I have ever seen that a webpage with PR 6 under a webpage with PR 4. It is so strange. I search a free counter in Chinese, the number one is PR 4, but the number 8 is PR 6. Maybe the PR is related to a specific keyword. So even a webpage has a high PR, it still maybe be under one which has a low PR.

i.e. the more links you have coming to your site, the higher the Page Rank. A higher Page Rank then leads to a better position on a Google search, moving you closer to the very first listing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Google does NOT use that system, they base it on a lot of unexpected things, Google actually tends to detest many links unless you have a larger site. It also checks how long domains are registered (the longer the better) along with alot of other things. Many links will only increase the chances Google will follow a link to your site soon.

There are studies and obeservations about Google Page Rank. Before they say that the higher the Page Rank is the Higher your position in google search result of a certain keyword or keyphrase. But it was not true. If you try searching in google and look for the page rank of each results... sometimes the high positioned site has lower PR than the one after its position. SEO experts consider google PR is just for entertainment. But this doesnt mean its useless. To me google PR only rate your site for the purpose to inform you that a certain page of your website are being linked by a quality site.And about linking. They said that the more link you've got the higher the position you will get in google in a specific keyphrase. But google now filter the site linked to you. What i mean is that Google give value to the your site which is being linked from a related and quality sites. But if you got a million sites pointing a link to your site but not related to your site...this may lower your page rank and your position in google.But other search engine dont care about related results.

As I understand it, Page Rank is a numerical value for a site based on how "valuable" it is on the 'net, i.e. the more links you have coming to your site, the higher the Page Rank. A higher Page Rank then leads to a better position on a Google search, moving you closer to the very first listing.

My observation is that it doesn't matter. With my site, my Page Rank is 0 but a search on Google puts me at #10. So why is my site listed so prominently on Google yet my Page Rank is so low?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hum, I see this too. I have found a url farm at #1 many times. Some rumers say that it is related to the subject that the keyward related to. I really don't know what is it. sigh