xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Vedic Maths: Any Takers ?

"Vedic Mathematics" is the name given to the ancient system of mathematics, or, to be precise, a unique technique of calculations based on simple rules and principles, with which any mathematical problem â be it arithmetic, algebra, geometry or trigonometry â can be solved, hold your breath, orally!

Source: http://hinduism.about.com/od/vedicmaths/a/what_is_vedic_math.htm

Have any of you ever come across these amazing techniques ? The origin of these date back to 1500-900BC when these techniques were put down as Sutras or Aphorisms in the Hindu Texts known as the Vedas. The Vedas, are ancient Indian Texts containing thousands of years of amassed knowledge and human experiences. The Vedas came in a total of 4 parts, out of which Rig Veda - the earliest one was probably written around 2500-2000BC. Till date this text is considered to be the oldest written text in the world. The Vedas consisted of a total of FOUR parts, namely, Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda & Atharva Veda (in chronological order).

The four Vedas Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda and Atharvaveda are divided into four sections:

The Samhitas - Contains the mantras and hymns

The Brahmanas - The ritualistic teachings

The Aranyakas - The meditational section

The Upanishads - The mystic and philosophical section, also known as Quick Facts about: Vedanta

(from the Sanskrit for `end of the Veda') one of six orthodox philosophical systems or viewpoints rooted in the Upanishads as opposed to Mimamsa which relies on the Vedas and BrahmanasVedanta, or the end of the Vedas, implying the culmination of Vedic thought.

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Anyways, thousands of years ago, the Vedic mathematicians mastered the art of mathematics and came up with various theses and dissertations. Today it is widely accepted that these treaties laid down the foundations of algebra, algorithm, square roots, cube roots, various methods of calculation, and the concept of zero.

A Simple & Easy System

Practitioners of this striking method of mathematical problem-solving opine that Vedic maths is far more systematic, coherent and unified than the conventional system. It is a mental tool for calculation that encourages the development and use of intuition and innovation, while giving the student a lot of flexibility, fun and satisfaction. Therefore, it's direct and easy to implement in schools â a reason behind its enormous popularity among educationists and academicians.

Try These Out!

* If you want to find the square of 45, you can employ the Ekadhikena Purvena sutra ("By one more than the one before"). The rule says since the first digit is 4 and the second one is 5, you will first have to multiply 4 (4 +1), that is 4 X 5, which is equal to 20 and then multiply 5 with 5, which is 25. Viola! The answer is 2025. Now, you can employ this method to multiply all numbers ending with 5.

* If you want to subtract 4679 from 10000, you can easily apply the Nikhilam Navatashcaramam Dashatah sutra ("All from 9 and the last from 10"). Each figure in 4679 is subtracted from 9 and the last figure is subtracted from 10, yielding 5321. Similarly, other sutras lay down such simple rules of calculation.

Source: http://hinduism.about.com/od/vedicmaths/a/what_is_vedic_math.htm

Have fun :P

Nice one!! I have a book on this stuff where u can find cube's, cube roots of numbers orally very quickly. Out here we have a lot of entrance tests that demand you to be quick, so its wildly popular in India. But mind you it's not easy and needs a lot of practice to master.

Whoa, m^e, this is awesome!!! I used to have some of my own little systems for doing simple math, but a lot of them relied on using my fingers, which sometimes was difficult cause I could only go up to 9. But these Vedic Mathematic systems are fabulous, and I'd never heard of them before. It's actually surprising how people forget how much we owe to Arabic culture for things that are now considered 'common knowledge'. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, when most of Europe lapsed into disarray, with many of the libraries and institutions of learning razed by invaders, the Arabs had a thriving intellectual community and preserved things such as Greek classics which would have otherwise been lost. When Europe recovered, and resumed trade with her neighbours again, all this knowledge was passed on and assimilated into European culture. (Pardon my sweeping generalizations here. I'm too tired to research this to double check, so I'm just going by what I can remember.)

Oops, my bad. Perhaps I shall amend my previous statement to say "non-European", since the same principles apply. That's what I get for posting while sleepy. Anyways, this is what I was thinking of before:

The word algebra itself is derived from the name of the treatise first written by Persian mathematician Al-Khwarizmi 700 AD titled: Kitab al-mukhtasar fi Hisab Al-Jabr wa-al-Moghabalah meaning The book of summary concerning calculating by transposition and reduction. The word al-jabr (from which algebra is derived) means "reunion", "connection" or "completion".

Since you quoted the stuff about Algebra - did you know that the word Algorithm actually came from this very same guys name ???

Al-Khwarizmi == Algorithm : do you see the similarity now ??

This is great fun.. I've got some more cool stuff about maths to share with you guys. Later :(

Regards,

m^e

Let me say first that Vedic mathematics is derived as already stated from the Vedas which are the religious texts of the Hindus. To credit the Arabs with much of the mathematical discoveries is a blunder. The Arabs themselves called 'Math' as 'Hindse' which means 'from India'!! It is from Vedic mathematics that we get the concept of '0' without which i doubt math and science would have gone much far.Secondly Vedic mathematics was NOT formed in around 1500 B.C., that is the sort of stuff said by the same people who discredit the Vedics with their mathematical achievements and its part of the Imperialist propaganda during Britain's rule over India. The Vedas, as ample proof now dictates, were written around 12000 B.C (yes, that early) and Vedic mathematics was written then. Apart from that for millenia the Vedas were transferred orally, they were only written in that period, known for much longer.In 1879, a team of French and British mathematicians visited a Vedic mathematician in India who solved many problems in his mind quicker than they could buy punching numbers in their calculators. A bewildered French mathematician asked "Is this magic??!!" to which the reply was that "It is magic till u do not understand it, after that it is pure math"I have personally tried 4 of the 16 Sutras of Vedic Math and they are awesome to say the least. Mind, the easier it is to solve problems by Vedic methods, the tougher it is to learn the methods in the first place, one needs immense practice, but once u master it, numbers are nothing but toys, really!!To people interested i could name the Vedic mathematics book i studied, i borrowed it from a friend and i forget the name of the author and the publisher but i can get it if required.

I'm interested in this Vedics Maths, infact it could solve numerous problems I encounter, so any information related to this, books that anyone recommends, I'm all ears.I am not sure if this was taken from Vedic, but multiplications of 11 times any two digits can be worked out quite easily.say 11 x 34 = 374How we get this is we add the 2 digits together and this forms the middle digit for the 10s place. Not maths just an e.g. 3 ( 3 + 4 ) 4.But what happens when we have numbers that add to more than 10?, simple, we increase our hundreds place by the amount of 10s we have e.g.say 11 x 79 = 8697 (7 + 9) 9 = 7 (16) 9 = 8 (6) 9This could be Vedics, but I am uncertain of how I came about this. There are other methods I have been taught to work out maths quickly, but explaining it is hard.Cheers,MC

VEDIC FANATICVedic Maths: Any Takers ?Hi, my name is Prateek Bist and I'm quite interested in the vedas itself. I have been practising things like Yoga and Kung fu for quite some time now. Actually, I want to make a point come to every one's notice how these things are related to the Vedas. The Vedas are the ancient Indian religious texts and therefore, Vedic Maths is also born out of a religious parctice itself. Ancient Indian Rishis (wise men) who used to spend almost whole of their lives in intense mediation, paid very-very important notice to time, measurement, geometrical figures, angles etc. To plan out their religious rituals and so a definite system of mathematics was an essential need for them and they had to invent this mind-boggling system for their use. A question that must have rose up in many of you is "How did they invent so precise and amazing system of techniques far better than today's comprehensive system?". Actually, as I told you they were life-long practitioners of meditation and so their way and method of thinking was far more superior than any one today. Remember, I am not trying to challenge today's comprehensive mathematics, but I know even you must have transpired the power of Vedic Mathematics over regular maths.Now, let me take you into a few of other secrets of the Vedic texts.Firstly, the ancient Rishis evolved a system of peg or decoding to learn some complex formulae. They used to recite and learn complex sanskrit mantras. So, by learning these long and complex mantras, first of all they evolved an amazing power of memory and secondly they learned the various mathematical formulae hidden under the canopy of these mantras. When these mantras were decoded, they brought about certain mathematical formulae used for performing lightning speed calculations. Let me give you an example :-Here are the twenty items that youWill have to memorize in sequence in a shortTime.Carpet, paper, bottle, bed, fish, chair, window, telephone,Cigarette, nail, typewriter, shoe, microphone, pen, television set,Plate, donut, car, coffee pot, and brick.Now, try to recite these words in the exact order without looking at them. Well, you couldn't get all of them at first, did you?So, I'll teach you now, what I call the LinkMethod of memory. I've told you that the Rishis used to recite the mantras, well, this method is derived from there only. This is called the link method where you are going to mentally link one object to another and learn them in the exact order. Watch out :-Don't be alarmed! It is child's play; as a matter of fact itIs almost like a game.The first thing you have to do is to get a picture of theFirst item, "carpet," in your mind. You all know what aCarpet is—so just "see" it in your mind's eye. Don't just seeThe word, "carpet," but actually, for a second, see either anyCarpet, or, a carpet that is in your own home and is thereforeFamiliar to you. I have already told you that this is the Link Method in which you will link one object to another . You are goingTo do that right now, and the items themselves will serveAs the things you already remember. The thing that youNow know or already remember is the item, "carpet." TheNew thing, the thing you want to remember will be theSecond item, "paper."Now then, here is your first and most important stepTowards your trained memory. You must now associate orLink carpet to, or with, paper. The association must be asRidiculous as possible. For example, you might picture theCarpet in your home made out of paper. See yourself walkingOn it, and actually hearing the paper crinkle under foot.You can picture yourself writing something on a carpetInstead of paper. Either one of these is a ridiculous pictureOr association. A sheet of paper lying on a carpet would notMake a good association. It is too logical! Your mental pictureMust be ridiculous or illogical. Take my word for theFact that if your association is a logical one, you will notRemember it.Close your eyes for a second; thatMight make it easier to see the picture, at first. As soon asYou see it, stop thinking about it and go on to your nextStep. The thing you now already know or remember is,"paper," therefore the next step is to associate or Link,Paper to the next item on the list, which is, "bottle." At thisPoint, you pay no attention to "carpet" any longer. MakeAn entirely new ridiculous mental picture with, or betweenBottle and paper. You might see yourself reading a giganticBottle instead of a paper, or writing on a gigantic bottleInstead of on paper. Or, you might picture a bottle pouringPaper out of its mouth instead of liquid; or a bottle madeOut of paper instead of glass. Pick the association whichYou think is most ridiculous and see it in your mind's eyeFor a moment.I cannot stress, too much, the necessity of actually seeingThis picture in your mind's eye, and making the mentalImage as ridiculous as possible. You are not, however, toStop and think for fifteen minutes to find the most illogicalAssociation; the first ridiculous one that comes to mind isUsually the best to use. I'll give you two or more ways inWhich you might form your pictures with each pair of theTwenty items. You are to pick the one that you think isMost ridiculous, or one that you've thought of yourself,And use that one association only.We have already linked carpet to paper, and then paperTo bottle. We now come to the next item which is, "bed."You must make a ridiculous association between bottle andBed. A bottle lying on a bed, or anything like that would beToo logical. So you might picture yourself sleeping in a largeBottle instead of a bed, or you might see yourself taking aSnort from a bed instead of a bottle. (I can get pretty ridiculous.)See either of these pictures in your mind for a moment,Then stop thinking of it.You realize, of course, that we are always associating thePrevious object to the present object. Since we have justUsed, "bed"; this is the previous, or the thing we alreadyKnow and remember. The present object, or the new thingThat we want to remember, is "fish." So—make a ridiculousAssociation or link between bed and fish. You could "see" aGiant fish sleeping in your bed; or a bed made out of a giganticFish. See the picture you think is most ridiculous.Now—"fish" and "chair"—see the gigantic fish sitting onA chair, or a large fish being used as a chair. Or, you'reCatching chairs instead of fish while fishing.Chair and Window—See yourself sitting on a pane ofGlass (which gives you a pain) instead of a chair. Or, youMight see yourself violently throwing chairs through aClosed window. See the picture before going on to the nextOne.Window and Telephone—See yourself answering thePhone, but when you put it to your ear, it's not a phoneYou're holding, but a window. Or, you might see your window as a large telephone dial, and you have to lift the dialTo look out the window. You could see yourself stickingYour hand through a window pane in order to pick up thePhone. See the picture you think is most ridiculous, for aMoment.Telephone and Cigarette—You're smoking a telephoneInstead of a cigarette; or you're holding a large cigarette toYour ear and talking into it instead of a telephone. Or, youMight see yourself picking up the phone and a million cigarettesFly out of the mouthpiece and hit you in the face.Cigarette and Nail—You're smoking a nail; or hammeringA lit cigarette into the wall instead of a nail.Nail and Typewriter—You're hammering a gigantic nailRight through a typewriter, or all the keys on your typewriterAre nails and they're pricking your fingertips as youType-Typewriter and Shoe—See yourself wearing typewritersInstead of shoes, or you're typing with your shoes. YouMight want to see a large shoe with keys and you're typingOn that.Shoe and Microphone—You're wearing microphones insteadOf shoes, or, you're broadcasting into a large shoe.Microphone and Pen—You're writing with a microphoneInstead of a pen, or you're broadcasting and talking into aGiant pen.Pen and Television set—You could "see" a million pensGushing out of the television screen, or pens performing onTelevision, or there is a screen on a gigantic pen and you're(I can't resist this pun) watch-ink a television show on it.Television set and Plate—Picture your television screenAs one of your kitchen plates, or see yourself eating out ofThe television set instead of out of a plate, or—you're eatingOut of a plate, and seeing a television show in the plateWhile you eat.Plate and Donut—"See" yourself biting into a donut,But it cracks in your mouth for it's a plate. Or, picture beingServed dinner in a gigantic donut instead of a plate.Donut and Automobile—You can "see" a large donutDriving an automobile; or, see yourself driving a giganticDonut instead of a car.Automobile and Coffee Pot—A large coffee pot is drivingA car, or you're driving a gigantic coffee pot instead of aCar. You might picture your car on your stove, with coffeePerking in it.Coffee Pot and Brick—See yourself pouring steamingCoffee from a brick instead of a coffee pot, or "see" bricksPouring from the spout of a coffee pot instead of coffee.That's it! If you have actually "seen" these mental picturesIn your mind's eye, you will have no trouble rememberingThe twenty items in sequence, from "carpet" to"brick." Of course, it takes many times the length of timeTo explain this than to simply do it. Each mental associationMust be seen for just the smallest fraction of a second,Before going on to the next one.Let's see now if you have remembered all the items. IfYou were to "see" a carpet, what would that bring to mindImmediately? Why, paper, of course. You saw yourselfWriting on a carpet, instead of paper. Now, paper bringsBottle to mind, because you saw a bottle made of paper.You saw yourself sleeping in a gigantic bottle instead of aBed; the bed had a gigantic fish sleeping on it; you wereFishing, and catching chairs and you were flinging chairsThrough your closed window. Try it! You will see that youWill go right through all the items without missing or forgettingAny of them.Fantastic?? Unbelievable?? Yes! But, as you can see,Entirely plausible and possible. Why not try making your own list of objects and memorizing them in the way thatYou have just learned.Now, you see the simplicity of this. This is how Vedic Maths was orally transmitted.Secondly, I would also like to say that Vedic Maths has its pure origin in India and don't roam around telling anyone that the vedic maths or the concept of some special figures such as zero is Arabic. It really hurts on being an Indian and listening to such stupidity. Also, due to my researches, I have also transpired the truth of myths regarding Indian Inventions like Accupressure is originally Indian (although accupuncture is not) and not chinese. If any one has any questions regarding things like levitation, supernatural powers, ki energy, mantras, martial arts secrets, Vedas etc. Feel free to contact me and I will share with you my utmost important secrets I have been hiding from the most.Well, I have basically tried to quote upon Vedic Maths and its related myths and importance.If you want to contact me, my e-mail ID is princeoftennis@rediffmail.ComWrite the subject as "I WANT INFO"WELL WISHES ON YOUR MATHEMATICS PERFORMANCE.-reply by Prateek Bist

Vedic MathsVedic Maths: Any Takers ?

Hi there,

Somebody wants to purchase any authentic vedic books ,they can purchase it from

http://www.gitapress.org/

this is the most authentic site where you can purchase anything  related to indian culture,books etc. No need to buy any books from some foreiner who are making money selling our stuff to ourself only.

Buy indigenous...

-reply by Jatin Sharma