xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kyle Perkins

Collecting Old Computers Any others out there who like old comps?

Hello,Though I love having the fastest and the greatest, and am yearning to go to Best Buy and purchase one of the new Terabyte hard drives, I still am passionate about the old legacy systems, the ones that made history. The 386s, the 486s...I personally own a 486 (with Windows 95 though, it was upgraded) and an old Hewlett Packard NetServer LHII with Windows 2000. The server weighs about as much as I do, and takes up a ton of space, but I still keep the old behemoth around (it's name when you go to system properties is Leviathan :P )Anybody else out there have any old machines that still run?-Kyle

You say old?? :P

so how about that - I have still running C64 and SX64 (SX64=C64+CP1541+5" color monitor + flat keyborad and everything in suitecase that weight about 20kg - I don't know but I would say rather rare thing [there are some pictures...:P], unfortuneatly description is in deutch, so I cannot even read it, but I have it so I need to) till I bought SX64 (that was some year ago - I saw it and I said I have to buy it - it cost me 70$) I had only usual C64...

those two stays near my i686 on which I work... Of course I'm not using it every day since I don't have much time to play with it, but something about once in week, they are 100% working and I'm making all repeirs and conservations allone... :P

You say old?? :P

so how about that - I have still running C64 and SX64 (SX64=C64+CP1541+5" color monitor + flat keyborad and everything in suitecase that weight about 20kg - I don't know but I would say rather rare thing [there are some pictures...:P],

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I remember using one of those 20 years ago. That's so cool. I wish I had one to play with right now. My C64 is boxed up.

I have a few old Commodore 286 & 386's from the late 80's. I also have my first AMD 486 that can still hum.

Ahhh nostalgia or clutter? I can't decide. :P

I'd give all of my goofy collection and current 1.3G AMD system for a AMD64 setup with the trimmings. No question. :P

Packard bell (I had a funky looking one that i modded into a super comp and sold for 1k our family orignally bought it for 100. theres the old fashion Apple (Which I bought online for 30 dollars and sold it for 800 because I put a LCD in the lug ( You should have seen the size of the projector in there, It weighs like 30 pounds) :P

:P Oldest Intel PC:
IBM XT 8086 - 512 Kilo ram - 30 Mega harddisk
Runs the first version of Microsoft Windows (v1.02) - very slowly by actual standards!

:P Oldest 8-bit machine:
Apple ][ - 48 Kilo ram - 100 Kilo floppies
Runs the first version of Microsoft Flight Simulator (v1) - scenery drawn with lines - no full rendering on a 1 MHz processor!
Runs the very first spreadsheet application: VisiCalc :PDownload the PC version from the author's website

Heh, yeah, my 486 has one of the old 5 1/4 floppy drives, a 3 1/4 inch floppy drive, and an old CD-ROM drive (4x, I think!). I have two full boxes of brand new, unused 5 1/4 disks, don't ask me why. I also have 3 other extra 5 1/4 drives, and an old NIC with BNC port (for co-axial cable) somewhere.-Kyle

"Mothballed" Systems- 486DX2 66 MHz from 1993 with 16 MB RAM, VLB SCSI card, 500 MB SCSI HDD, 12x SCSI CD-ROM drive- Pentium 90 (ex-server) from 1994 with 64 MB RAM, SCSI card, no HDD installed ATM, 24X SCSI CD-ROM driveActive Systems- P2 300 MHz hand-built with 196 MB RAM, SCSI Card, 3 SCSI HDDs (16 GB total), SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox Millenium G200 8MB, Dualboots MS-DOS and Linux.In The Mail- Commodore 64 with a 1541 FDD

Oh I've had a few...In order, Apple II plus, 1980, 1MHz 6502, 48K RAM with two disk II drives and b/w TV monitor.Epson Equity-II, Intel 8088 @ 4.7MHz, 256K RAM, 20MB HarddiskSome old Mitsubishi, similar inside to the Epson.1990 IBM-AT clone, 33MHz i486, 110MB harddisk, 8MB RAMSome old IBM "laptop" that's absolutely huge, and has no harddisk, and an 8086 or 80286..1985 Amiga A1000, 8MHz 68000, 512K RAM1991 Macintosh LC-II 25MHz 68020, 4MB RAM1996 Motorola Starmax 3000, 180MHz 603e, 128MB RAM1998 Power Macintosh G3-233, 32MB RAMtwo 2001 iMac DV G3-400 w/ 256MB RAM2002 IBM-AT clone, P4 @1710MHz., 256MB RAM