xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musichere

Any Linux Laptop Vendors?

I was just wondering if there were any vendors or manifacturers that sell laptops/notebooks without any form of Windows XP ever touching it. This is because I don't want to have to pay an extra £100-200 for a copy of Windows XP, which I'm never going to use with the laptop (and normally has spyware).Also are all laptops compatible with Linux?

Should be compatable, but buy from a company that sells computers and parts, the smaller shops wont sell you XP, where as bigger computer superstores will. The little guys will get you a better deal.

I've heard thta SuSE, Debian and the new Mandriva (-.-) are developing a solution like this to expand their "domains" but i think there are already a deal from SuSE but you have to order your laptop but i'm not sure....;/

:P am currently downloading Debian which is a 7 CD download.. its currently on CD5 .. I'm going to be installing it on a Toshiba 3000 X11 .. I've been doing a load of research into this for the past week.. and the only conflicts I've come across is having to type in 'something' when the first prompt appears to allow me to load a better kernel than the default .. this is to avoid conflicts with the monitor.. Other than that there seem to be not too many headaches (according to various users who have installed Linux on their laptops)... Down here in India.. Acer, Dell, and a few local manufacturers have an option to selet Linux as the installed OS.. Linux is rapidly gaining popularity.. Now to wait for another week of downloading.. on a 144 KPBS connection that allows between 5 & 10 KPBS . .. but I've had times when the system's shown DL sppeds as good as 80 KPBS.. Fingers crossed .. hope all goes well

That's not the point I'm trying to make. I know that it is possible to install various distributions of Linux onto laptops but I don't want to pay for a copy of Windoze if I'm not going to use it. It's just a big waste of money esepcially considering how much Microsuck charges for their Windows XP OS even if it is bundled with all kinds of software, much of which is spyware.

Ubuntu was actually the distribution I was intending to use on my laptop (when I get it) but I don't see anywhere I can buy that HP laptop you are describing.I have seen a few vendors selling laptops with Linspire though, but not exactly cheaply.

Two or three years ago many laptops were shipped with THIZLINUX, a chinese distribution. I guess there even were some HP, Acer and IBM machines sold with Thizlinux Version 6.0 which was was designed especially for laptops.

GreetingZ