xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Obesity Is Not Actually As Bad Whoa

Actually, it is not just the weight, it is WHERE it is stored. People who store all their extra weight on their belly/midsection have increased risk of heart attack, etc.People who store it in their hips and legs have reduced risk of heart attack, etc.If you account for where fat is stored, then BMI ceases to have meaning.This is as of a few days ago from a 27000 person study across ethnic groups and continents.As in, that spare tire is bad for you.The real measure of risk seems to be hips to waist ratio. You want your waste to be smaller than your hips (yes, that includes men, though the ratio is larger for them. Health is a 0.9 ratio).

Fat people have problems with blood pressure as thier veins are working harder that those without these "toxins". The main solution eat less and more exercise ....Which is quite difficult.... ;)

I find it very, very interesting that, when I smoke a cigarette, people are more than happy to inform me that I am slowly killing myself.But when I see a really, really large person eating three Big Macs in one sitting, and I'm tempted to say something, I can't because someone would accuse me of being totally insensitive (or, worse, someone would kick the snot out of me).What's the difference? If you're putting your health at risk, then you're putting your health at risk. There's no difference between smoking every day and eating at McDonald's (or some other fast-food restaurant) several times a week.

Sarah81:as a large person, I wish you WOULD go ***** at them. But gently. Anything to get people working on their problem. It takes real motivation to do.That said, once you have motivation, you can lose weight. I have lost 45 pounds this year...