xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Subaru

Muds : Know Any Good Ones?

Carrion Fields is a decent MUD.Ive played on it to lvl 21 as a ranger and it can be fun, aslong as u can group up with other people...that isi haven't tryed a magic character but i might soon...

What is a MUD? I have never heard that type of game before.

MUD stands for Multi-user dungeon/domain/dimension. It is a text-based game whereas you are able to do many other things normal games just can't even hope to be able to do. Thats because whatever you do, whatever you see is totally written in text. Yep! No kidding ALL text. But its not all that boring, one who bears a huge imagination would really like MUDs. I myself like MUDs because well i like to read books! :rolleyes:
So you want to play a MUD but don't know where to start? I'd recommend starting out with Ancient Anguish until you become a more dedicated mudder then move on to Achaea. Why? Because Achaea's members are so dedicated that you can never say a word of modern existence in the game (e.g MSN messenger, Google, Computers). It is as if you ARE in the game itself. I sometimes even forget I'm sitting on a chair staring at a screen! Of course addiction, being engrossed and overly obsessed too much is not a problem. Turn off your pop-up blocker and make sure those ads come through!

Sounds like some interesting suggestions. :rolleyes: I like a nice escape, that's why I read a lot of Fantasy books, and why I like MUDS so well. I have to concentrate on what I'm reading, and therefore, I become quite engrossed in it.

Sounds like some interesting suggestions.  :rolleyes:  I like a nice escape, that's why I read a lot of Fantasy books, and why I like MUDS so well. I have to concentrate on what I'm reading, and therefore, I become quite engrossed in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I play ShadowMUD, it's not that hard and very newbie friendly (I had no idea about muds when I first went there). The setting is a country far away, with classes such as Mages, Monks, Fighters, Rogues, Clerics. Most classes also have subclasses (especially the mages, you can be a necromancer, sorcerer, conjurer, Planeswalker or stay not subclassed). The races go from Dwarves, Elves, Faeries, Gnomes, Half-elves, Half-ogres, Half-orcs, Hobbits, Humans and Ogres.

One of the former admins maintains a mud client designed for SHadowMud, which offers a graphical representation of how much damage you have, damage on your enemies etc. [https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/]

There's also a site with some maps and info (really usefull) which is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

I am a level 14 Mage there (Aymelek), I subclassed as conjuress, have finished 2 major quests and 7 mini's. Oh yeah, I forgot, you can also do major quests and mini's. Both are scattered over the world, you will need to complete one quest to go to High Mortal (lvl 20) and for legend (lvl 50) you need 75% exploration, 5 majors and 17 mini's I believe.

OMG!!!
Shadow Mud is still alive?!?!?!?!?!?
If it is the same one, I played on Shadow back around 96-97.
The last one I played on was Alternate Illusions. I would not
know if it was still alive or not.

http://www.mudconnect.com/
That is an excellent site for Muds. They have over 1700 muds listed
so I am sure you can find something you like. Might I suggest a nice
CircleMud :)

ViriiGuy

I suggest looking into achaea(achaea.com) and aardwolf(http://www.aardwolf.com/). They both have very active userbases and great support teams. Achaea has an interesting skill-building dynamic in that you join clans which teach you skill-sets. Aardwolf has a more standard class-based system, but it has a very in-depth items set.