xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
denis

Openoffice Microsoft Office alternative

http://www.openoffice.org/

For those looking for a free office software, check out Open office.

It has alot of great features, one i like most is that it supports WordPerfect. Microsoft Word, and Star Office file formats.

It has a clean interface and design, and is just as easy to use.

for those who try it out, give feedback!

I use Open Office and really like it. I use it in linux and would install and use it in Windows, but I bought a copy of MS Office about a year ago before I had heard about Open Office :rolleyes: and I don't want to money to go to waste. I like it because 1) it is free and 2) it is just as powerful as MS Office and the user interface is very similar so it is easy to pick up.

I have been using OpenOffice for I think about 4 or 5 years now. I am extremely happy with it :rolleyes: There are as far as I am concerned only 2 minor issues that force me to install M$ Office once in a blue moon. Firstly the spellcheck is not as good as the M$ one, but I stopped using spellcheck. My English may not be perfect, but it is not as bad as I've seen from some others :) The main issue is when I get a school presentation assignment and making it in Impress, as opposed to PowerPoint, will lead to loss of look n feel when it's displayed in PowerPoint. But as I said that's once in a blue moon. Other then that, I adore my OpenOffice, it's one of the first thing I download after a reformat or install. :) It's stable (provided you don't download the beta :)), it looks far better then M$, OpenOffice.org makes efforts to FIX error code, where M$ creates a loop around it and thus makes their program sluggish (even more)

Openoffic is absolutely amazing. Lots of fan-boys have a problem with the fact that they are becomming more and more like Microsoft Word 2002 with their latest version, but I think it's definitely a good thing because they are not making the program for profit, it's for a political statement and to balance the power towards open-source software.If anyone wants to check it out I recommend downloading version 2, which is very very similar to Microsoft Office and you'll find that the migration is very simple and effective.I especially like the Calc software for a spreadsheet replacement, it is extremely powerful and has many special functions.

yeah, openoffice 1.X was ok, but it lacked a database program. 2.X (beta versions) finally have one! i really like it a lot. besides, the ms office compability improved.for those who wouldn't know: there's a windows version too!, it's not just linux-fun!

Yeah, I love OpenOffice. I've been using it since it was a closed-source freeware program called StarOffice.The only issue I have is that the Draw component seems to be a bit flaky. It keeps crashing... All the other parts work fine tho. Also, the database function were present in 1.0, they were just kind of hidden...

Yeah, I love OpenOffice. I've been using it since it was a closed-source freeware program called StarOffice.

The only issue I have is that the Draw component seems to be a bit flaky. It keeps crashing... All the other parts work fine tho. Also, the database function were present in 1.0, they were just kind of hidden...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've used StarOffice as well, but prefer OpenOffice :P (I prefer their logo and of course price :P)

I am currently running the beta 2, which for me works like a charm, but I also have issues with Draw and at times Impress crashes when I am using templates. I am quite sure it's because I am running a beta version :P I adore the Base component :P

Yep, I am one happy camper about OpenOffice

I've used OpenOffice 1.1.2 last year since I couldn't afford Microsoft Office but I switched over to the latter after I found out a way to do so since there was some problem with OpenOffice's Presentation and Microsoft's PowerPoint, where the bullet I was trying to rid of will appear there, no matter what but I don't know if this has been corrected or whatsoever but Singapore's Armed Forces administration is switching over to Open Source soon and this is their first step.

Ok has anyone had compatibility issue's with open office and using a external harddrive?I found in my old PC whenever I plugged in my jump drive/ipod/external HD and tried to access documents off it Open Office would go APE on me.I would appreciate any feedback on this. Even if its just a rumor...i hate having to use Microsoft Office.