xisto Community

Windows tips

Create Shortcut key for your favorite programs

First, you should create a shortcut for your program. then, right click on your program select properties and click on shortcut key box, now press your favorite key.

To Create list file of a directory(folder) in a notepad file

Run MSDOSPromp and go to your directory and type DIR>>Dirlist.TXT

Press Enter and type EDIT Dirlist.txt , now you can edit and save your file.

To create a hidden favorites urls list

Run regedit and go to following address:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

Create new String Valve and enter a name (will be your shortcut name), for example parsloyal and in Data Value insert your favorite site for example http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Now restart your computer ,then open internet explorer and in address bar type about : parsloyal ,and press Enter.

To move My Document folder ( only in Windows XP/2000/ME)

right click on my document folder( on desktop) and select Properties and press Move button and select your destination folder .

to close 2 or more windows

hold down CTRL and select your windows on taskbar and then right click on one of the windows on taskbar and click Close Group.

Change right Alt button to WinKey

If you have old Keyboard and want to have WinKey

Run regedit and go to following address :HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\keyboardLayout

create a new binary value name ScancodeMap and assign a value of

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 EO 38 EO 5B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02

Now restart your computer

Be Sucessful!

Soleimanian :P

why Windows XP is so slow? :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried checking your computer for spyware? I recommend you use Microsft Antipspyware beta.

Also, you could try using one of these programs that scan your registry for probs, I find they work pretty well!

why Windows XP is so slow? :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

finaldesign and sasux, you have a point but there are alot of factors that may make Windows XP slow. You may want to consider doing just that and using Windows XP's built in services.msc, msconfig and regedit to disable unwanted services, what programs to run during startup and tweaking your registry settings will help. Refer to the http://forums.xisto.com/topic/72-forum/
'>Windows subforum in How-To's and Tutorials for more details on how to optimize your computer.

hold down CTRL and select your windows on taskbar and then right click on one of the windows on taskbar and click Close Group.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may well have been the most life-saving-est thing I have found in a long, long while.

Up until now, I have been using TweakUI to configure how Windows XP bunches up my windows into groups. I always wanted a way to close/tile several windows. Up until now, I had assumed that doing so with fewer (two or so) windows was impossible. Doing this with windows of different programs? Simply impossible, I thought.

In conclusion: thank you for making my day. Or month. Or year. Or however long I keep using Windows :rolleyes:

why Windows XP is so slow? :)

1064298518[/snapback]

I will be able to help you. I recommend these solutions:

Clearing your browser cache by:

using Internet Explorer right now and click "Tools" and "Internet Options".

Not letting you? That means Windows Security blocked it.

If it lets you, click "Delete Files" (and all of the offline files).

Defragmenting your files by:

Going to Start>>> All Programs>>> Accessories>>> System Tools>>> Disk Defragmenter

Again, if Windows Security blocked it, sorry!

Click the Defragment button to your main hard drive.

I recommend you do this overnight as the process could take up to 2 hours depending on the size of the free space on your hard drive and the memory on your computer.

The last resort is a terrible one, but that's the final idea:

Insert your Windows Operating System Install Disc.

Turn off your computer.

+Remember to print out this page as you need it!

Turn on the computer.

If prompted, press enter to the option "Run from CD"

When the Blue screen says "Select partition", press DEL to all partitions.

WARNING: This will completely delete all documents. PLEASE BACK UP YOUR DOCUMENTS AND ONLY THAT!

This process should take 30 minutes to erase the hard drive; and 30 minutes to install the files to your hard drive all over again.

If you are using Windows XP:

Wait for the Drivers, Network, Display, and Regional Settings to be installed.

You will be prompted to configure the Regional settings during the install, so stay put in the first 10 minutes of the install.

After that, wait for all the installation and configurations are complete.

When they are, you will be asked to complete the registration for your operating system. IF YOU ARE USING WINDOWS XP, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO CONNECT TO A TOLL-FREE NUMBER TO ACTIVATE YOUR XP LICENSE. If you have exceeded the amount of uses for your OS license, you must call a toll-free activation hotline. Tell Microsoft you had to re-install your operating system for a technical reason.

Note: A modem or a broadband connection is required.

Have a high-speed internet connection? Don't re-install the service again! Your computer finds the connection for you. You will be connected even when you start up your computer for the very first time.

Remember to read the End-User License Agreement (EULA) supplied by your OEM and Microsoft.

This is quite interesting.A tip I find quite useful when you want to access your user account folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name), is to click Start>Run and type . (a full-stop) and press enter.It saves all the hassle of typing "C:\Documents and Setings\..." and so on.

This is quite interesting.

A tip I find quite useful when you want to access your user account folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name), is to click Start>Run and type . (a full-stop) and press enter.

It saves all the hassle of typing "C:\Documents and Setings\..." and so on.

1064331892[/snapback]

L-O-L

Homies! WTF r u talkin' about?

Windoze is one of tha most luser friendly OSes.

There should be no questions 'bout how to use it.

The most reliable way to explore it is to view system help or "welcome to...".

Or whatever stuff is there.

It gets painfully slow with no help of virz or spyware.

Just in time it becomes very huge thang and all these graphics-GUI toyz

load the system up to head when many apps are started.

Defragmentation is a really good advise. But it takes much time.

The only reason to use winxp is that most of software run on it.

Windows time is going out. That's good.

As for console progs and commands - use help under cmd.exe

C.O.

why Windows XP is so slow? :huh:

1064298518[/snapback]

Hi there, there are some reasons why your windows runs slow on your machine. I found a website wich will guide you to optimize your pc. It´s very cool

Here is the https://l'>link

good luck :)

It's amazing, where do you keep getting these tips from???@Blix: good link, tough most tweaks are quite common, but there are 2 things I'd like to point out.First of all, the tweak of setting your pagefile at 1.5*RAM is not correct. It does depend a lot on your system and what you do with it.Second thing, use bootvis at your own risk, m$ stopped the support for a reason, and for once they where right, it managed to kill a fresh install of XP1 on my computer.