xisto Community
fuzz

Arachnophilia HTML Editing Freeware

I am a noob at HTML so I used to use Arachnophilia 4.0 now I have switched to Arachnophilia 5.2 VER 1902 and it seems a lot harder to use. Is there any other good simple to use freeware HTML editors out there that I can try.

I'm a noob at HTML too. I'm using Notepad as my editor. It's the best way to learn HTML language from the basics.

I took a look at Arachnophilia... it looks really cool, cross-platform too...

But I guess if you're a noob you might be wanting something more guided... How about CoffeeCup HTML? Back when I was still using Windows I used Notepad and Editpad, but this looks like it's pretty guided. And it's freeware.

To be honest though, it's much better to build up a good foundation of HTML skills. Try looking through the very well written tutorials on basic html over at the tutorials board (1 and 2) as well as those at W3Schools and HTMLDog.

Hope it helps...

I am a noob at HTML so I used to use Arachnophilia 4.0 now I have switched to Arachnophilia 5.2 VER 1902 and it seems a lot harder to use. Is there any other good simple to use freeware HTML editors out there that I can try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

try ACEHTML from here. You can download a free vcersion or upgrade to the pro version. Comes with a very good and slick interface, predefined scripts etc. works perfectly for my

Yeah the Arachnophilia 5.1 has undergone a major change at version 5 and is now written in Java so can be run on any platform. If you havn't already got it, you need to download the version 1.4 or higher Java runtime package from Sun, a major job as it is over 10 Mbytes and the program itself which is much more modest at under 2 Mbytes. You may already have a suitable Java or be able to get it off a cover disk. So far the program seems more flexible but less powerful but I am sure it will grow rapidly. The tag colouring and beautification is still there but the site analysis tools which check for link integrity throughout the site and page layout and analysis tools to do check tag matching and overlapping etc on the page are missing. The browser support is for via a separate window rather than an internal display which allows you to check with many browsers but is less convenient in some ways. The global search and replace through many pages is however even more powerful and well thought out. I like the Arach version 4 and this the program I have given to a few of my students to use and explore. They have been coming back with great reviews, but they all understand that there are more complex programs out there. But with the ease of use, this is a good basic program to get you really going in the right direction. But I believe it is always good to learn the HTML basics at sites such as W3Schools. REMEMBER that Arachnophilia is a CAREWARE...It does not cost money it requires a different form of payment. It is best to go to the site and read about the CareWare concept yourself but to give an idea I quote an example of a deal suggested by the author if you wish to obtain Arachnophilia: Stop whining for an hour, a day, a week, your choice, and you will have earned your copy of Arachnophilia. Say encouraging words to young people, make them feel welcome on the planet Earth (many do not). Show by example that we don't need all we have in order to be happy and productive. blix, I love the visicommedia website. I have never used their software, but you have sparked my interest to see what type of interface and scripts they have implemented in to their AceHTML software. The prices seem a bit high, but I can't judge for sure how overpriced it is until I use it. I will try it out later today and give an honest review.VG

Yeah ver 5.2 also has C++ programs compatiable too.

Notice from moonwitch:
please do not make a long quote with then just one sentence of own input

Notepad is a good "anything" editor! you can edit any kind of code (HTML, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, ini files, and the what not)... Although it doesn't include help tips... this is where a nice HTML book comes in handy! I have looked through some of the newer HTML books today, and they are all better than the one I learned from! Good luck with it though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used Arachnophilia for years till my requirement got to needing different features. I first tried Source Edit but then went to HTML Kit and it's all I need Arachnophilia is now a faint memory so go here and get the last editor you will ever need mot just for HTML but for XHTML, XML, CSS / XLS / XSLT Style Sheets, JavaScript / JScript / LiveWire, VBScript / Visual Basic, ASP, PHP, Perl, iHTML, Java, Python, C/C++, .NET C#, Delphi / Pascal, INI, and IE 5 conditional HTML files with customizable file extensions. Coloring of JSP blocks is also supported.

It can be as simple an editor as powerful one as your requirement go to PHP, or JavaScript MySQL and so on. Necessary to know if you want to run a site with a database.

Here the link to it HTML Kit Home Page