xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chaosx2x

Lock-on

If you like flight simulators, then you probably already know the Almighty LOCK-ON: Modern Air Combat. Because, in fact, it is one of the best sims on market today. Not only LO:MAC has one of the best graphig in a game (and, in a sim, graphic is very important), but the feeling of realism is heavy through the entire game, from weather to combat to simple roaming.The story is simple: a faction has invaded an area of the Black Sea, and you and you must fight back with "air-to-air" and "air-to-ground" mission. Period. Not much, but then again realistic somehow (showing some FMV isn't necessary for games like this).The graphic, as I said before, is incredible: every aircraft and ground veichle seems almost real, with an incredible number of details. Even weapons, such as missiles, are very realistic: if you look closely some air-to-ground, you can see the mini-camera inside the head!!! The ground, instead, is poorly designed. I mean, it IS quite good, but nothing like the rest! At least, water is good, very good. The cockpit is full of working details. You can look around using the mouse or, in latest update, the little pad on top of your joystick. You can virtually fly without looking out, with all the instruments in your plane.The sound is great. No music, but that's obvious: who listen to music during a mission, except for Tom "Maverick" Cruise... but if you wish, hey! turn on Winamp! The effects are realistic: from explosion to engines, it's like the real thing! Nothing much to say on sound: it is the least for every sim.Controls. If you use a keyboard and a mouse, shame on you! G0 PL4Y D00M3! Seriously... if you want a simulator, you MUST buy a Joystick,better with rudder. I own the X45 from Saitek, and it's quite impressive (but no freedback... ;_:P. With a joystick, you can unleash your firepower, fly around, chase enemy, do acrobatics... well, like the real thing! COntrols are quite responsive, even if sometimes you will feel a little delay (but I think it's simulated. I mean, you're not on a GameBoy...). After a little tweaking, you can be free from keyboard, assuming you own a joystick with at least 8 extra buttons.The gameplay, for those who like flight simulator and don't own a jet, is the next best thing! It's the more realistic, complex yet simple, complete flying system ever. The missions are simple but hard enough to keep even the aces on them a little. But, 'cause there is a "but", there are not too many missions. There is, it's true, an editor. And on the net you can surelly find a good amount of missions. But I want to review the game, so the durability of the game is not that high, assuming you only play the missions.One positive note is that every aircraft has its own set of mission.Overall, Lock-On is an incredible game. If you have a good computer, you can enjoy every single aspect of this game, at maximum level of graphic. As I said before: if you don't own an F-15, buy LO:MAC with a good joystick!Over and out!

Hi, I liked the look of this game so I bough it. There was a delay and it does take a very long time to load aswell as slowing down your P.C, but it does (believe it or not) have some good points. It's accurate and good fun.Graphics: 10/10Gameplay: 8/10Accuracy: 10/10Sound: 8/10Practibility: 5/10Overall score: 81%It's not to bad, but if your thinking about getting it read into it a bit more first... Cheers. Sean Webber militaryknowledge@hotmail.co.uk