xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Giniu

Future King Of Rpg? What shoud have a RPG to be best?

and...

If you have not played Chrono Trigger

- man how I couldn't play it?? It's one of great Squere's products... As for Final Fantasy I know all from I to IX... Squere is good in making rpg's... but console rpg's.... exactly they are masters in jrpg... :)

It is always nice to see some well made "old-school" style games when it comes to RPG's. Things like "Disgaea" are always greatly sought after for the RPG community. Just make sure that you put knew things into the game so it does not because a new version of an old game. What I mean by this is, for example, Disgaea had the geospheres which, aside from making the game amazingly confusing when going into high level items and such, added an entire new aspect to FF Tactics. Also, it does not have to have as bad of graphics of the old-school games. It's is kind of hard to explain, but compare FF Tactics and Disgaea to get what im thinking of. God I love those Prinnys LOL. PEOPLE WOULD FLIP FOR AN FF TACTICS STYLE GAME ONLINE!!! To add on to this, make sure there is some walk-around space, like in Disgaea's castle. And its must be challenging, the Tactics style games become very boring if they are not hard. FF Tactics discovered that they could keep it really hard by leveling the bad guys up as you level up, try something similar.

Well, here are some things you should and should not put in your game:

Good

- 3D camara angles

- Lots of sidequests

- A (few) strong, but optional bosses/monsters i.e. Emerald and Ruby weapon from Final Fantasy VII

- Voices and words...Reading is too boring

- Another quest. Beating the game once isn't real fun. Have special features after

- Sence of Humor. A (RPG) game should always have some funny things

Bad

- Lots of characters....Trust me, I know a few games that failed because of that

- Hard to control battles. You should just be able to enter a battle and press/hold down a button to attack.

- Predictiable events... If you have not played Chrono Trigger, you should. You'll know what I mean.

I could list a thousands things, but I only put the important ones. (In my opinion)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"- Lots of characters" Can also be good, look at most MMORPG's (Anarchy online for one) theres 3 races, 3 alignments and 13 classes, and it is a Wonderful game. and then there is NWN (Never winter nights) Which is baced on D&D, that game has lord knows how many classes but it still manages to get hundreds of people to play online on their confusing maps and servers.

"- Lots of characters" Can also be good, look at most MMORPG's (Anarchy online for one) theres 3 races, 3 alignments and 13 classes, and it is a Wonderful game. and then there is NWN (Never winter nights) Which is baced on D&D, that game has lord knows how many classes but it still manages to get hundreds of people to play online on their confusing maps and servers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, a lot of characters opens the game up for you to decide you're own unique stratagy for fighting (a good example of this would be Chrono Cross). In some games, having a lot of characters allowed for a few different endings depending of if you met so-and-so, and quite a few side stories to look at (once again i refer to Chrono Cross).

Dmaster14  4/19/05, 12:39 PMWell, here are some things you should and should not put in your game:

Good
- 3D camara angles
- Lots of sidequests
- A (few) strong, but optional bosses/monsters i.e. Emerald and Ruby weapon from Final Fantasy VII
- Voices and words...Reading is too boring
- Another quest. Beating the game once isn't real fun. Have special features after
- Sence of Humor. A (RPG) game should always have some funny things

Bad
- Lots of characters....Trust me, I know a few games that failed because of that
- Hard to control battles. You should just be able to enter a battle and press/hold down a button to attack.
- Predictiable events... If you have not played Chrono Trigger, you should. You'll know what I mean.

I could list a thousands things, but I only put the important ones. (In my opinion)

This guy is deffinitely on the right track! Multiple endings will also give a game tons of replay value- but you don't want to overdo it with too many endings! You must have a Noubuo Uematsu quality sound track too. There is nothing more dissappointing than a weak soundrack in an RPG.

Also, you must have a very involving story line that allows you personally connect with at least half of the characters involved. There are too many superficial, non-evolved characters out there that you will never be able to sympathize for, or relate to.

And the plot-writter cannot be scared to actually incorporate a male and female character who actually have a sexual relationship along the journey of the RPG, once in love. It may sound silly and perverted of me, but I believe that love is handled way to cheesy in RPGs that are targeted towards the mature audiences. If there is an RPG out there that handles the subject realistically, then I simply haven't played it. Even PG-13 movies handle the subject more realistically than the most hailed RPGs. Let's not continue to make the male characters seem like such a square in relation to the female characters, (i.e. Cloud, Aeris, and Tifa).

Vagodeoz had a crucial point in enabling full customization of characters. It is so boring to equip a character with brand-new weapons and armor only to find out that he/ she is still wearing the same damn outfit, hairstyle, and accessories as before. Full customization at any given point and time in an RPG is the key to the next great RPG!

ok, well I've talked too much already so... yeah um, I guess I wouldn't mind being a beta tester either- lol! You guy are too much! Late!

-KAP

First, for what I want in a game, go play Ultima Underworld 1. What I liked about it was how well thought out, consistent, and integrated the world was. It wasn't just scenary that was there just to sorta look neat but be otherwise pointless or silly(FF cough). Really, I haven't found a game that has matched it since. You should play it, if you can find a copy(its an OLD game. The first 3d RPG I think).Second, I want ACTUAL role playing. As in your actions matter. Unlike say, FF or many others where its basically a story book with some random combat, I want actual role playing. If you are mean, ACTUALLY MEAN, and not just the stupid dialogue option decisions most games use to fake it, then there are repurcussions. This means that you may not only be not liked by villagers(the usual fake answer to this), but may also be offered a job by the local mob or gangs. Similarly, there shouldn't be just multiple endings, but multiple storylines. I once did a thing (in a tabletop) where if the characters went north instead of south, everything would be different. Time would go by even though the characters weren't at place X yet, and they would show up, say, after a battle instead of in it. This REALLY enhances replayability. Most games (like Deus Ex-which was good, but still a case in point), just have the same missions but different ways of going through them. This is really, well, gimp. At this point, doing all this should be standard. Sadly RPGs have stagnated at just making the plots more surreal and having better graphics than actually innovating on gameplay. I personally think the surreal plot thing is just an excuse to not actually think through something more real and convincing.

First off any good game needs to be simple if you make a complex game no one will play it, well some might and get frustraited with it. :P It is easy to a make a complex game yet it is difficult to make a simple game.Simple to use controls, easy access menus, customizable/upgradable weapons, a good story line that will keep you interested, good character developement, three to four characters at the most. cool desisionsin other words extras that are placed into the gameside quests, optional battles/extra bosses, hidden items, optional costums.Game engineUse one that have already been created, one that you know work very well and is reliable, just change a few things around it is done in the industry all the time. :P

three to four characters at the most.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHY!!!!!!! why would you only have 3 characters playable in a game. Its great when they can get at least like 8 characters with good character development. That way it is really free to pick what TYPE of characters you want for certain battles and such.

Personally, I like the nice real-world touches to games such as:Changing weather (rain, snow, hail, fog, etc..)And perhaps day/night cycles (morning, mid-day, afternoon, night)I just enjoy the interesting changes, and a lot of my other gaming buddies tend to go for games that incorporate that.

Oddly enough I would like to see a mmo-rpg or just mmo that is of us, in this time, no future things, no past things, I just want to see how good someone could make a mmo of now time (And I'm not talking about the crap over there at the sims online). I'm talking about a GOOD mmo lol. Maybe it would be fun maybe it woulden't but it would me really intresting to see a current time mmo. :( then you could go to work on the computer instead of actually going to work.. lol... Also i would like to see somthing like DOT Hack come out.You know where you go into a body suit and that is your "Controller" then you connect and you move through brain waves... it would be like you put it on your head as you sleep then you can play the game.. Or while your awake... Any one else think that would be intresting, where you can expereance being in a mmo. in first person.

Well right now I am betting my money on 2 developers Namco & Nippon Ichi Software of America or simply NIS America.I have lost all faith in the giant SquareEnix and frankly do not think they have much ot offer anymore.NIS & Namco make totally diffrent games but they are somethign new and refreashing. Unlike many other developers they strive to give actual content beyond graphics providing teh plot heavy storylines and extended gameplay I crave. If any RPG maker can feed my hunger for a good story it would be these 2 I would pay for.

a lot of good ideas... taken best and noted on board - it is staring to make sense... still collecting information to get as good concept as I can... thank to you all for help, I apreciate it and still waiting for new ideas :(

A morpg that's free!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a lot of them if you know where to look. Try going to Fileplanet.com and check their section called "Korean MMOs. There are a bunch of MMOs available to be found there that are completely free. Also, don't worry about language barriers, chances are there's going to be one in a language that you understand. I highly suggest you try them.

As for a "future king of RPG," I just watched a trailer for TES 4: Oblivion and I nearly sh--er.... crapped--myself. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):) While it didn't show much of actual gameplay, what was shown look fairly cool but not enough was shown to make an accurate guess as to how it will play. But, what was shown in it was simply amazing. There is no way to describe it in words. Go to Fileplanet and download it. NOW. You will be amazed.

Finally, for what makes a great RPG. Here's some things that I feel are valuable for any RPG/any Game:

-->Has to be assesible for new players, but allows for complex yet satisfying actions to keep from being stale.

-->Multiple Endings = mucho replayability assuming all endings are possible and the ends justify the means.

-->Freedom is good. Let the player do what he/she wants when he/she wants in a way that he/she wants to, but give incentive to do the main quest/goal/whatever.

If I think of more I'll post them later.