xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dyth

Why Don't You Like Opera?

Another browser topic... I am so original. Anyway, this is mainly directed to the firefox folks. Why do you think Opera is "weird"? As far as I can see, Opera has several times FF's features and is several times smaller. And please don't bring up how it's not open source blah blah blah. That reason's too overused, and I think it's too little a reason to stop using this wonderful browser.

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Moved to Software > Internet & Network Clients
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I DO like Opera... I've had this conversation with many Firefox and IE users. This is what they usually argument: - Site compatibility... Opera still has problems with many sites. It's not a lot talked about but practice has shown that. - "The side bar annoys". A pointless point, you don't have to use it if you don't like it. Might be an excuse but several people has mentioned this. - "Don't like tabs". Many people think that you can only use Opera with tabbed view. This of course is false, the tabbed view is just the default setting. - "Smooth scrolling". This is the funniest one :D A certain IE user claims that Opera (and FF for that matter) don't have as good smooth scrolling as IE does. A bloody good reason to stick with the Bugsplorer. - Memory usage. Now this is a real concern. Latest versions of Opera have become quite a momery hogs. Mine currently running takes 142MB (10 tabs open, using news and RSS, no transfers).

i like opera and i am using it to....i think there are many cool and new options in it like its downloader and tab procesdure and one can open all the sites in one main window so that loook more decent to me..:D opera have some problem with some sites so thats annoying for me..the other cool feature is that it can incliude the fvorites from internet explorer....so OPERA is goood one and capable of using....

It places an ad, thats just about why I hate it. Ads are pointless and shouldnt ever be included but then you get what you pay for, I pay nothing for FF, maybe it does have less features but no intrusive adverts....

I am using Opera and I like it much more than Firefox becuase it is proven to be quicker, and in my opinion it's much more user friendly and easy to use.Firefox users should welcome Opera because it is multi-platform and is a strong alternative to Internet Explorer from Micros%ft.

I use Mozilla Firefox mainly because it's open source but I never said that I don't like Opera (neither did you) since it is faster and more compact than Mozilla. Other than that, Opera's Download Manager is much better but it still loses to Free Download Manager and for adblocking, since Opera doesn't support it and neither does it have plugins for it (very few indeed), you can always use a firewall like Agnitum's Outpost Free or Professional to filter them out. If you insist on using Mozilla, get the Free Download Manager to manage your downloads like Opera's.

Hi,We mainly Vote for FF and Mozilla because they are 1) Open Source2) Run by a Open Source Community3) They sponsor other Use full projects on their server4) They are not commercial like Opera (giving the Add at the corner of the browser)

I actually had some problems finding this thread. :( Anyway, the replies are replied to in descending order.

We mainly Vote for FF and Mozilla because they are 1) Open Source
2) Run by a Open Source Community
3) They sponsor other Use full projects on their server
4) They are not commercial like Opera (giving the Add at the corner of the browser)

You could have just said that in one sentence. :)

I use Mozilla Firefox mainly because it's open source but I never said that I don't like Opera (neither did you) since it is faster and more compact than Mozilla. Other than that, Opera's Download Manager is much better but it still loses to Free Download Manager and for adblocking, since Opera doesn't support it and neither does it have plugins for it (very few indeed), you can always use a firewall like Agnitum's Outpost Free or Professional to filter them out. If you insist on using Mozilla, get the Free Download Manager to manage your downloads like Opera's.

Well, seems like your only problem with Opera is the ads. You -can- get rid of that by editing its config files, but I recommend Proxomitron or Proxify, etc.

I am using Opera and I like it much more than Firefox becuase it is proven to be quicker, and in my opinion it's much more user friendly and easy to use.
Firefox users should welcome Opera because it is multi-platform and is a strong alternative to Internet Explorer from Micros%ft.

Most actually say Opera is harder, etc, because it's easy to get confused with the wide variety of functions available. But I agree with you.

It places an ad, thats just about why I hate it. Ads are pointless and shouldnt ever be included but then you get what you pay for, I pay nothing for FF, maybe it does have less features but no intrusive adverts....

Intrusive? Define that.
P.S:Opera doesn't give you ads in full screen mode.

i like opera and i am using it to....i think there are many cool and new options in it like its downloader and tab procesdure and one can open all the sites in one main window so that loook more decent to me..
opera have some problem with some sites so thats annoying for me..
the other cool feature is that it can incliude the fvorites from internet explorer....

so OPERA is goood one and capable of using....

Oh those things are wonderful, but they are not half of what Opera can do. And it's most likely the sites' fault, not Opera's.

I DO like Opera... I've had this conversation with many Firefox and IE users. This is what they usually argument:
- Site compatibility... Opera still has problems with many sites. It's not a lot talked about but practice has shown that.

- "The side bar annoys". A pointless point, you don't have to use it if you don't like it. Might be an excuse but several people has mentioned this.

- "Don't like tabs". Many people think that you can only use Opera with tabbed view. This of course is false, the tabbed view is just the default setting.

- "Smooth scrolling". This is the funniest one  A certain IE user claims that Opera (and FF for that matter) don't have as good smooth scrolling as IE does. A bloody good reason to stick with the Bugsplorer.

- Memory usage. Now this is a real concern. Latest versions of Opera have become quite a momery hogs. Mine currently running takes 142MB (10 tabs open, using news and RSS, no transfers).

Do you know some sites actually send faulty code to Opera once they knew it was Opera? It's in the javascript, I would dig up the article/blog, but I'm lazy.

Well, the other points are silly. OMG OPERA DOESN'T SCROLL SMOOTHLY.

Memory? I never really notice it on a new comp. But it does seem to be a concern.

the ad doesnt work, so it just gives a horrible white bot with an error in it. You can see it more than anything else. Also I dont like browsing in full screen. I like normal. Firefox gibes me what I want. So ill just stick with it. Sorry

The only reason i use opera is because the implent tabs much better than firefox does, and there is no good extention for saving the tabs your are browsing at when you close firefox.Firefox is good, Opera is better, and they both pwn IE

Opera is faster and its a true cross platform browser. It worked perfectly fine in every OS. Firefox on the other hand is quite buggy especially in older versions of windows, specifically on windows98. The Firefox icon doesnt show up, update icon doesnt show up, and often Firefox shuts down without consent. I know 98 is obselete but a good browser for me should work well on every type of browser. Firefox is a source hog. It eats a little bit resources more than Opera do. Anyway, Firefox is free..no ads, thats the best part of it. But if youre willing to spend cash on a reliable browser (no ads) Opera is the best choice!

I'm using Opera for a long time and I'm so used to it now ! Not sure that any reason would make me change.

- Memory usage. Now this is a real concern. Latest versions of Opera have become quite a momery hogs. Mine currently running takes 142MB (10 tabs open, using news and RSS, no transfers).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now this is new for me.

I love my firefox, but i also like opera. I had to use opera for a couple months when my computer was acting gay and would not let firefox work. I mainly like FF better because of the extensions and the fact that it is open source.

I used to use opera before I came upon mozilla/firefox. Personally I just prefer the look/feel of the fox over opera. Sure you can skin/theme out either but I've just had better luck finding visuals I like for firefox over opera. Also, I'm pretty big about having compact stuff at the top of my screen so the ad does indeed pose a significant annoyance for me. You mentioned editing files to get rid of it but I don't feel I should need to when I can download firefox and have the same results without having to do a config tweak.Plus the extensions. Firefox's extensions are another reason I love the software. They add so much customizability to the software its not even funny. Sure opera has more features upon install but alot of those are features I don't use, while ff extensions are picked by me so they are just want I want. No need for extra options cluttering up my menus and whatnot.Obviously this is a preferance thing. Both programs do their job and they both do it very well. Hopefully both stick around for a long time to come so people can have as many high quality IE alternatives as possible