xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trasi

Cad AutoCAD and related software

Since I wrote some books about AutoCAD, I'd like to share my knowlege with you.For example:Did you know you can change Hatch origin with the keyboard command SNAPBASE?As a default it's 0,0 but you can make new hatchs start from another point with this command, clicking anywhere.

ok here mine..mostly 3d modelling..currently im using an old and limited ADT 3.3...I havent seen yet the 2005 although I have touched up v2004.1. is it possible to extrude those texts in autocad? well just the write (plus any command) and extrude it. none of those polyline lengthy process...someone told me you could extrude it is possible (but didnt bother to tell me how :D)2. in materials (rmat) transparency seems to disappear as you draw close to solids applied with it. (or perpendicular with the line sight)..this is very annoying especially when working with interior projects with lots of glassworks..well creating those glasses on 3D Max will solve the problem, but im just curios if it is possible to fix this in acad. setting the transparency of the material to 1.0, the object will simply vanish upon rendering.3. how to create a concrete circular stair in a very fast way...I usually create them step by step, thread by thread, riser by riser...which takes so much time. is there a fast way for that?4. lastly, AutoDesk vs. ArchiCad..which is better?

ok here mine..mostly 3d modelling..currently im using an old and limited ADT 3.3...I havent seen yet the 2005 although I have touched up v2004.

1. is it possible to extrude those texts in autocad? well just the write (plus any command) and extrude it. none of those polyline lengthy process...someone told me you could extrude it is possible (but didnt bother to tell me how :D)

2. in materials (rmat) transparency seems to disappear as you draw close to solids applied with it. (or perpendicular with the line sight)..this is very annoying especially when working with interior projects with lots of glassworks..well creating those glasses on 3D Max will solve the problem, but im just curios if it is possible to fix this in acad. setting the transparency of the material to 1.0, the object will simply vanish upon rendering.

3. how to create a concrete circular stair in a very fast way...I usually create them step by step, thread by thread, riser by riser...which takes so much time. is there a fast way for that?

4. lastly, AutoDesk vs. ArchiCad..which is better?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Extrude Text: if you use Dtext (single line text) with an AutoCAD Font (like Romans, not like Arial), you can use command-line CHPROP to change the Height property of the text. It's not actually like "extruding" but it works fine.

Another way is to use express tools to explode text and then extrude polylines. You must have Explode Text in Express menu to do this.

2. Transparency: If transparency is set to 1.0 the solids are simply invisible. I didn't understand what's the problem. I've never noticed it.

3. Circular stairs: I don't remember exactly Architectural Desktop 3.3 but there's a way to trim the stair edges with a polyline. It could help you. What kind of circular stairs do you draw?

4. ArchiCAD vs Architectural: Sorry, I've never used Archicad. What I can say is: Architectural is very flexible and configurable. Even too much, as it can be really hard to draw non standard things. But it is finally AutoCAD with addons, so you can use AutoCAD features when it's getting too difficult to obtain something in Architectural. I think Archicad isn't so flexible. I don't know

Sorry for my bad english and bye

Now I remember the express tools, unfortunately I dont think its free. I havent yet touche 2004 or 2005, so im not sure id these tool is inclusive in these versions. Im going to extrude name of an establishment (font type is script)..and chprop didnt worked our well.

2. Transparency: If transparency is set to 1.0 the solids are simply invisible. I didn't understand what's the problem. I've never noticed it.

(renders) Transparencies doesnt work out on objects perpendicular and close to the line of sight (camera)..they appear as hollow objects. Transparencies on Objects far from the camera works out, but as you draw closer to it...it will appear as a simple opaque solid. Very annoying. Ive searched the help files that adviced to set the transparcency to 1.0, but the object will be invisible it that manner, setting the transparency to .90, the object close to the camera will lose its transparency again. well this is in the older ADT3.3-2002 below versions, im not sure maybe they have fixed in in 2004 or 2005.

A concrete winding stair. well not actually circle, a winding one. I was fund of escaping the view of winding stairs in interiors before, :) but lately someone requested an interior view, included in that area is a winding stair :(

Well for me ADT seem to be very good in drafting (2d wireframe) but ArchiCAd has little edge on 3d modelling. Many have been arguing with me that ArchiCAD is better but somehow I refuse to believe. Just seeking others opinions on what software to focus. :wink:

Thank you!

You can create a winding stair by drawing a pair of arc polylines, marking the outside edges of your stair. Draw a centerline polyline as a guide. Then create a multi landing stair along that centerlined path, making sure your stair is wider than the widest point of your stair at any point. Then, right click the stair, customize edge, project and follow the prompts. Walah! Winding stair, any path you desire.

I'm not sure if you're drafting a 2d plan or working in 3d; but, isn't there something like a 3D Array command?You could create a single step.1. (2 lines and trim 2 circles)2. create a boundary3. extrude to desired height3darray1. Select the number of step2. Specify the angle like whatever will will reach to the next floor (X, Y)3. Specify the RISE of the setup (Z plane)I think you can do the same for the Stair's posts, then the railing can be created by a 3d pline from the top center of the posts.I don't know if this helps. I was working on creating an elevated redwood Porch/Patio and I had to create some stairs. I had to have a stairs and a handicap accessible ramp. I never tried drafting a circular stair case. I might look into it sometime.Levimage