xisto Community
Jguy101

Flight Sims

Falcon 4.0: Allied Force is an excellent upgrade to the original game back in 1999. It came out last year (2005) and is by far one of the most accurate and interesting flight sims. Of course it's a combat flight sim, but key words are flight sim. The program meets or exceeds all USAF requirements for simulation. Allied force has graphics updates and major bug fixes to online play and the dynamic combat engine. Campaigns go based on how well you fly. This isn't a game for those wanting to jump inthe cockpit and bomb stuff. It took a couple years of playing a few hours a week with a HOTAS joystick system for the original Falcon 4.0 to be able to fly and not die all the time. Landings in falcon 4 are good, because if you take off and then have your mission scrubbed by AWACS call, you have to jettison your stores and burn fuel for 10 minutes at full afterburner because just like in real life, ifyou land the F-16 heavy, the landing gear will collapse.

I have flight sim 2002 but i can honestly say it does get boring. I only used it to learn how to use my joystick. After when i was pretty good at flying planes i got combat flight sim which in my opinion is sooo much better and way more entertaining. don't bother with normal flight sims unless you have a real need for it.-HellFire

I also downloaded a free one (forgot what it's called), but it doesn't seem to work.

LOL, that must be Flight Gear. It is free and open source, but it is rubbish. Only thing that you could use it for is system stability testing, because that thing will use up all RAM and virtual memory, and then demand more.

Only airplane that is decently design is Cessna 172, and it flies good until you decide to roll to the right. After that only way is down. Why? After rudder is moved to the far right it can't get back.

Some other aircraft are not even flyable (you cannot start engine on lightnig).

There is one flight simulator that is free, and there are many combat modes. Downsides - not very realistic and graphics and sound look like game was built in early nineties. But it is good thing if you want to learn to fly.

It is YSFLIGHT

I come from watching the Ysflight website, and it looks very cool, besides being free,,it looks very professional. It kind of active..and has updates and new versions..But I´ve seen the screeshots and the graphics are kind of lame..looks like a nineties game. I think I will go for this one though..I will try it,,and after that I will post..cheers

As far as combat flight simulators go, look around for Nova Logic's F-22 Lightning 3. Should be dirt cheap nowadays since it's really old, but you have the option of launching with a global thermonuclear weapon. Oh man, get me some cheat codes for infinite weapons and god mode, and watch the mushroom clouds grow ;) Multiplayer was rather fun, but that was back in '98 ;)

I use Flight Simulator 2004. FSX is to expensive and my pc isn't one of the fastest on the world to play FSX. I'm still happy with FS2004, because he works fine. Also there aren't not many FREEWARE Add-ons for Flight Simulator X. For FS2004 there millions off downloads of scenery, airports and aircrafts. There are also more PAYWARE for FS2004 and not for FSX. The only thing I like in Flight Simulator X is the new graphics and the controltower-option.

Edited by Boeing (see edit history)