xisto Community
Vagodeoz

What Is Your Religion?

What is your religious belief?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vagodeoz,when you put up a poll like this you should at least look up the background of the major religions, spelling etc. I don't understand the facination with everyones religion when you didn't even take the time to do a little research before you posted it. :DI edited some of your spelling and added (Edited) the options. To those of you who read this and realise I did not put your religion there, that is why I did other.Cheers and happy voting.Nils

I'm glad someone polled on this. With more contributers, it will show to newcomers, quickly, the belief orientation they will recieve in philosophical threads. VS. reading past posts to gain a demographic picture.

I am, to be specific, a modern western theravada buddhist.You know, to be specific.Oh, and to be similarly technical, I am also an atheist. Buddhists don't have a god. Unless they happen to believe in one from some earlier religious background. It doesn't always work out so well theologically, but that never stopped anyone. More the merrier really.

I call myself a catholic but only really because thats what my parents call themselves. I only believe about half of the things the church preach and I only go to church at Easter and Christmas.

Oh, and to be similarly technical, I am also an atheist.  Buddhists don't have a god.  Unless they happen to believe in one from some earlier religious background.  It doesn't always work out so well theologically, but that never stopped anyone.  More the merrier really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought that it was classified as a religion not because you worship a god, but simply because you have a kind of a guiding figure who you pray to, along with all the other stuff like a book and a set of rules etc. (very sorry if you don't actually pray to him and I'm just making stuff up)

I always thought that it was classified as a religion not because you worship a god, but simply because you have a kind of a guiding figure who you pray to, along with all the other stuff like a book and a set of rules etc. (very sorry if you don't actually pray to him and I'm just making stuff up)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, for theravada, there is no praying to a 'higher power'. It is different in a few mahayanda sects(in particular pure land). They do pray, kinda. They chant to ask for entrance into the 'pure land', a realm where it is supposedly easier to achieve enlightenment. However, really the pure land is supposed to be inside the person, and the chant is meditation to get there. But few pure land buddhists actually treat it that way. For most, its prayer.

But for me, as theravada, not so much.

I am a Christian, protestant. I believe in God and that all things work together for good. Being a christian is not easy but it is the only way to live... and worship for me is a lifestyle.

I can tell you that being Catholic isn't easy, but I enjoy persecution - it's an opening for a good come-back and debate. The proactive part is saying things to correct others, like how my church actually views things like homosexuality and the death penalty. Trying to fix rumors mostly. It's harder in a group who is joking about it, to start talking against them, but I usually end up making fun of myself and they agree with my view without realizing it. Great tactic.

I am realizing this may start a lovely debate :D but still... I choose Other in the poll..*MoonWitch gets on her soapbox and clears her throat*Well, maybe you thought the "witch" part in my name was there for fun, but it's not. And I don't have warts, I don't fly a broom, even though it would be so handy :D Anyhow, I was brought up in an open way, more or less pagan looking back. Growing up I never really felt closely connected to one religion, however; I did dislike the Church as institute. Because I then felt the Vatican was so rich and preached to give to the poor. I am older now, and mellowed down some, my views about those things are less strict, but they didn't change much. I was about 14 - 15 and wondered about religion, belief systems etc. I knew so little, so I looked up all I could find. For some reason I came across a website about Wicca and read up on it. I felt it somewhat described me, but not perfectly. I ended up finding more info about WitchCraft. After alot of looking, thinking, I felt that it described how I was, thought and felt. I told my mom and much to my surprise she told me she was the same... So, my religious choice is WitchCraft, not wicca. There's a small difference. I believe in a higher power, with a masculine and femine aspect. The God and Goddess. They both have many many names, each name represents a different aspect they possess. I found much comfort in this. For the record, to avoid misconception, I don't worship the Devil, I don't believe in the devil. I do believe in Dualism, that everything has a good side and a bad side. For example, being stubborn is considered negative, however you can also be "stubborn" in trying to solve something, which is called determination, considered good. So to me, this is dualism. To me, the true magick (no miss spelling here - this is how most witches spell magick ;)) of life, is the sun setting.. the beautiful colours lingering in the sky.. the power of a thunderstorm, the smile of a child, laughter, the smell of rain on a hot summerday... (do I need to mention I am an ever romantic soul LOL)

I was baptized as Roman Catholic. but as of late I have begun to question my own faith. After having an argument with my pastor aswell as the administration with the administration with the Catholic school I used to go to I have not practiced my faith in over 3 years.

I was baptized as Roman Catholic. but as of late I have begun to question my own faith. After having an argument with my pastor aswell as the administration with the administration with the Catholic school I used to go to I have not practiced my faith in over 3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Questions are always good. Sometimes they lead to no faith, sometimes they lead to a different faith, and sometimes they lead to a stronger faith. In all cases, you are better off not having answers to all questions than not knowing enough to ask questions to begin with.