xisto Community
jedipi

How To Download A Whole Website

is there any tool for download a whole website??I am saving each page of a website now. >_<

is there any tool for download a whole website??

I am saving each page of a website now. >_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that I'm aware of. Why are you downloading an entire site? The owner may be willing to provide you with the content

Keep in mind that you would need to save each image file as well and the pages may be generated on-the-fly so that there are limitless possibilities of pages to download.

For Example, this forum is generated on-the-fly so everytime you reload the page little thins happen like the time changes, replies are shown, shout box is updated, and different users see different content.

Happy surfing,

vujsa

haha, i was just about to create a new thread for this.

yes there are tools for such quests. personally, i like to use webzip to download a site. it is avaliable from spidersoft;

http://www.spidersoft.com/

but there are several issues that you need to understand before copying a whole website;

Legal Issues

This is the most important aspect to look at. sometime a website is copywrited which legally prevent any duplication of it. further more, they said if you are cought, you'll be punish to the highest extend of the law.

Secondly, you might cause the site you are copying to slow down. This might crash the target website or make it inaccessible from other users. this kind of situation might get you into lawsuite. beware!

Dynamic Websites

Copying websites which contain dynamic items such as forms will render it useless. The form will not work if you copied them using this tool.

but if you have broadband access which is always on, then it is no reason why you should do that.

ALternatively, you may want to try making the website available offline. I think there's such a function in Internet Explorer. You'll be able to surf through the pages as if you are online once you've made the website availabe offline. Of course it will be outdated content. Again, many files may have to be saved , occupying large space on your disk drive.

There is also Teleport

Thanks man...Teleport is really great softeware...
It downloads all the pages and modify the links that allow me browse them on my PC

HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.
It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

WinHTTrack is the Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP release of HTTrack, and WebHTTrack the Linux/Unix/BSD release. See the download page.

Wayy cool.

edit by qwijibow: In future, put all quaotes in quote tags instead of just " ". it sounds trivial, but it helps the system better calculate the credit you should recieve for a post.

httrack is probably the best in his kindmind, you're copying the website by following the links. you'll never find hidden files. it's possible. but i wouldn't want to program it. i'm lazy :(