xisto Community
friso

Best LAN-Messenger help me find it...

hi again.im searching for the very best LAN-messenger. desired specifications:- free- simple- no need to turn it on to receive messages (or auto-turn on)- simple. I also heard something about a built-in messenger in windows, that works with commands in start – run. Please tell me all you know (about this subject :P)What do you use, and what is so great about it. And don’t forget to post a link where I can download it.

hi again.

im searching for the very best LAN-messenger. desired specifications:

- free

- simple

- no need to turn it on to receive messages (or auto-turn on)

- simple.

I also heard something about a built-in messenger in windows, that works with commands in start – run. Please tell me all you know (about this subject :P)

What do you use, and what is so great about it. And don’t forget to post a link where I can download it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there is a WINPOP messenger buit in every OS by windows but it isn't actually a chat tool. Personaly i recomend BorgChat u can dowload it

here

But be careful to activate the Turn on with startup so it will automaticly turn on when u log in and deactivate that anoying popup-at-mesage function so u won't be botherd by everyone that is using the chat !!

I've been using this sw called WinPopupGold and it has almost all the features you're looking for... All you need to specify is the windows workgroup/domain that your network hosts are sharing and that's it - all other systems become visible to you and you can send them instant messages. Of course the other systems should have a copy of this sw running too... it loads of windows load and sits silently in your system tray till you receive a message or want to send one...Can get the trial version here at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you want the full version.. errr.. search around - am sure you'll find loads of sites offering them :P

Some other free LAN IMs:

1. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

2. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I don't really want one of these programs to chat over a network because that just means adding yet ANOTHER program to my computer and I already have enough! So can anyone tell me how to use the winpop thing using command prompts? I tried to figure it out myself using help features in the commend prompt... but I could only successfully send a message to every machine on the network. We have 4 computers on our home network and I only want to send a message to one of them, not the whole lot... can anyone give me a hint on how to do this successfully?I followed to instructions properly from the help features but everytime I tried it, I would get a message saying that computer doesn't exist... but I could ping it and see it there? It was really weird, and neither of us were running firewalls that would block the message either. Anyone know what's up?

In windows xp you can use "Net send" command
example:

net send robert Meeting changed to 3 P.M. Same place.

this sends message to user named robert.

for correct syntax and available parameters search "help and support center" for above word combination
Just check that messanger service is running:
go to "control panel->administrative tools->services" and find "messanger service".
make sure it runs.

In windows xp you can use "Net send" command

example:

this sends message to user named robert.

for correct syntax and available parameters search "help and support center" for above word combination

Just check that messanger service is running:

go to "control panel->administrative tools->services" and find "messanger service".

make sure it runs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm... sounds good, but it doesn't seem to be running, and i got the dutch version of windows xp, so "control panel" "administrative tools" and "services" have different names... could you post the images or icons that belong to these things??

thank you! :)

yes, but if we've disabled Messenger due to the Messenger spam net send is of no use.

BorgChat is quite good, you can send files, have multi-user chats, private chats and there's even a forum for your network built-in! It also allows you to make other people's processor beep. I think it requires Windows though.... so no good for Linux users.

http://borgchat.10n.ro//

Why don't you try this program ShixxNOTE 6.net - Network enabled sticky notes program (LAN messenger) :o

With this program you can send message in note format or via Windows messenger service (NET SEND) to any comp in your LAN. Also you can send note or message to 20 comps with one click. Try it.

Description:

ShixxNOTE is a desktop sticky notes (post-it) program, that allows you to keep desktop sticky notes, and also send them across the network (or Internet) to friends or colleagues. The program runs in client/server mode and transmits messages or notes to selected Shixxnote clients on the network. However, you can also send messages to machines that do not have Shixxnote installed, in which case the program will automatically use the standard XP/2000 Windows Messenger service to deliver the message. It also includes alarm options that allow you to be reminded of selected notes, and support full formatting of font, color and appearance of the notes. Other features include a reply option, emailing of notes, note export, printing and more.

Sirola thank you ! Program is great ...Best LAN-Messenger

Sirola,

Thank you for giving me info about ShixxNOTE, I installed it and it is neat program and it improve my communication in my small 15 employees company. Again thankx, ShixxNOTE 6.Net is great program from LAN communication. 

-reply by Marc

Thank you SirolaBest LAN-Messenger

Sirola thank you for letting me know about ShixxNOTE 6.Net. It is great program and perfect for communication in my small company, now we are sending notes through LAN every day. Again thank you. Program is neat and for me it is kind of must have program.

-reply by Marc

BorgChatBest LAN-Messenger

yup I already used Brogchat and it's has many feaures.

But can anyone tell me how to run Brogchat in limited account on XP Pro?

Thanks all

-reply by riyan