xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
firedoor

Old School Adventure Gaming?

i was just wondering if anyone had played any of the old adventure games, mostly the legendary lucasarts click and move games such as, monkey island I and II indina jones and the fate of alatntis/holy grial, sam & max, or day of the tenticle. I used to love playing those as a kid, and they have spawned into some new great adventure games like Grim Fandango or the updated monkey island and broken swords.

We must be from different old school, my games were text-based, later CGA/EGA then VGA graphics and trust me, when you're 8 years old and can type 30 wpm, it really impressed the girls, so text-based games weren't that bad (also known as Text Adventures and Interactive Fiction). Now I average 70+ wpm but it's not impressive to the girls anymore, unless you type up their work for them.

But I do remember those games, http://www.xtcabandonware.com/ has a few old school games you may remember, if not there's additional links to more sites.

I suggest you stroll down memory lane, try to find those games that you use to play but may have lost. You may also need a DOS emulator (DOSBox), to slow some of the games down that went by the speed of the CPU cycles, since those IBM XTs or compatibles weren't that fast at the time but speedwise for those games it was acceptable.

Cheers,

MC

yeah luckly i still have the disks to most of them so i played them now and again (which as you say due to my proccessor speed can be difficult sometimes) but your right about the text based games, for some reason they completly slipped my mind, i'm proberbly just from the generation that doesn't believe anything without graphics can be a game. We are truley a shameful generation.

70 wpm? you would never make it in a MUD:) i type 175+ wpm:)well, when i know what i am typing in advance... i cant just ad-lib and type that fast:) and what do you mean text graphics...lol... i remember making games with punch card trays and waiting for the responses to come out on the terminal printer:)

i was just wondering if anyone had played any of the old adventure games, mostly the legendary lucasarts click and move games such as, monkey island I and II indina jones and the fate of alatntis/holy grial, sam & max, or day of the tenticle.

I used to love playing those as a kid, and they have spawned into some new great adventure games like Grim Fandango or the updated monkey island and broken swords.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ho ho.. firedoor.. you're right after my heart :P Dude, I used to spend weeks-after-weeks just sitting in front of my system with those games... Love all of them to death... Just a few days back I was searching for them and managed to get some off the XTCAbandonware site.. but am still looking for the Indy full version.. all I'm left with (after my old system crashed) - is the stupid demo :P I've all version of monkey island, dott, sam n max, grim f - and my all time best series - the Hero's Quest or Quest for Glory Series from Sierra.... Police Quest, King's Quest not to be forgotten too :P That was ONE HAPPY & Sweet gaming time man...

Speaking of MUDs I only type 36wpm (50wpm if i'm in good mood) at normal speeds. Actually i think it depends on what kind of MUD you play. Ancient Anguish is easy going. Mostly everything is done for you. And you get aliases and all that in a game so you don't have to type so much. Achaea is also one of those easy-going MUDs but of course its not like Ancient Anguish you can just stand still while your character auto-fights. There's the "regaining-balance" scheme whereas you have to wait till you regain your balance before you can give another hit. Oh and those who are born computer maniacs around here, i guess you all are those fast typers. How do you type normally? I personally almost memorized the keyboard already but there are some punctuations that i usually get lost at. Mostly i stare at the screen and type though. Quite tough at the beginning but you will get used to it soon if you keep doing it and PLAY MUDS!! =)

Love that XTCAbandonware, i just downloaded King's Quest 1!
Pixels are 24*24 of my pixels, but that doesn't matter, it's great!
i found Grim fandango here:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ but it's a full demo, what do they mean by full demo?? it's not the full version, is it?
i played GF some time ago, but i don't know what happened to it... it seems as if it dissapeared from my computer... :) too bad you can't buy those old games anywhere, maybe you van buy GF, but not the other games...

I have played mokey island and I liked the game style. I just forgot all the story. All I can remember is that they are trying to leave the place. I got this dos game when I both sierra compilation games with more than 100 dos games. Really neat it was last 2001 I think.

I have played mokey island and I liked the game style. I just forgot all the story. All I can remember is that they are trying to leave the place. I got this dos game when I both sierra compilation games with more than 100 dos games. Really neat it was last 2001 I think.

Monkey island is a very fun and funny game! I loved it! So cute and cool! Oh and for playing MUDs, you must first memorize the location of every single key in your keyboard! I can type without looking at my keyboard, unless its a password, then I take a look at whether I typed correctly!

Talking about old school adventure games, I consider super mario as an adventure game, although not an rpg it is side scrolling adventure game. I could still remember the super mario 1 where you battle enemies in 8 worlds and 8 castles, those mushroom boys frequently tell you that the princess is in the other castle. And I played super mario 3 where you have a tail we call it "pidol" and you can fly, there are also secret places like crouching for 8sec on a white hill then you go past the backgroun instantly, hehehe, wala secret flute. Then There is this super mario 4 where you will ride yoshi and become super mario with a cape and fly like you never flied before hehehe and glide. I like the blue yoshi that flies always as long has he has a turtle shell in it's mouth. I have to land oftenly to spit the shell and eat it again to avoid blue yoshi swallowing it. I also liked adventure island, on adventure Island one you play as a young jungle boy that throws axe and rides skates and stuff. There are also secret places like hidden elevators and stuff like that. I also like adventure island 2 and three where you can already ride dinos and new weaponry. THere is also this vertical scrolling game called ice climber where you axe ice and climb up and that is the main goal. Well I liked those games, and the last but not the least, I could not forget this game because this is the first game where I knew that there are actually cheats on a game. It is contra I can never forget this " up up down down left right left right select start", hahaha very very funny 30 lives. Those are the good old games... When I go tired of new games I go back to the old games like mario 1, I have zsnes win version and got this game genie code, hehehe mario is not affected by enemies instead they become power ups, what I mean is no enemies all mushrooms and flowers they just appear to be enemy but when you stick at them you grow and have flower, but still die from a fall. I can do multiple jumps and never touch the floor as long as I keep on tapping the jump button. I just love those good old times...

I had complitely forgotten about other game I spend my childhood with...METAL SLUG!!!Arghhh that game is awesome!I would spend whole afternoons playing it...I knew every trick of MS 1, 2 and X.By the time MS3 was out, I already had a PC and was too busy playing other games :)

Gotta love Sam & Max, or Day of the Tenticle and Monkey Island. Great adventure, but most important: great humor to keep playing them!Another one of my early adventures was Lure of the Temptress. In my memory still one of the greatest games ever!

And Zork! All three parts! And Nethack! The amulet of Yendor is SO mine! Oh, by the name of the one who shall remain unnamed, those where epochs! Gameplay with an incredible depth, a second world, left to your imagination, unharmed by snazzy 3D-graphics and other chrome, the very incarnation of your keenest dreams.....