xisto Community
harriko

How To Hide Your Files In XP hide doc and folders

how to hide a file in c

How To Hide Your Files In XP

Replying to harriko

Sir according to your kind suggestion I used the same syntax but when I again edit the file the file opened,but I want to hide.Please suggest me.

-reply by sudhansu sekhar sahoo

There's another post like this around somewhere that I've said the same thing on: hiding files is pointless!If you're the computer's only administrative user, just change the permissions on the file or the directory its in. If there are other admin users, just install something like TrueCrypt to stash your private files in. If you don't have admin on the computer, just keep your private files on a thumb drive.Or better yet, keep a copy of GPG and your keyrings on a thumb drive and just encrypt your files when you aren't using them. The same effect can be achieved by a password-protected 7-zip or RAR file.Simply hiding files just doesn't work...this was great to keep your files safe from your kids back in the DOS days...but in modern times...no. If your privacy is at all important, put a little more effort into maintaining it.

see hide folder in doc command

Sir

I am working in windows 2003 server

-reply by vinit

it

RonelNov 26 2007, 03:08 PM

This ain't new...Even though the dos way is quite nice!

Here is THE simple way!

1. Right-click on the file/folder you want to be hidden(shh!)

2. Click Properties.

3. At the Properties dialog, you will see a entry "Attributes:"(see picture)

4. You will see there a checkbox hidden...Click it!

5. Click OK or Apply.

Easy!

Easy, but not the same effect... If in folder options there is checked the option to view hidden files you;ll can see it... By the first case it's not possible

-reply by Yoan

to unhideHow To Hide Your Files In XP

hey just use this command to unhide the file...

attrib filename -r -a -s -h

filename : In the filename area you have to enter the filename which you have hidden. 

-reply by hashim

How to unhide the hidden file by DOS commandHow To Hide Your Files In XP

In the command line replace  "+h" to "-h" to unhide the file

and also , repalace "+r" by "-r" to make your Read only file to simple one

-reply by Tamal Dutta

how to retrive the directory backHow To Hide Your Files In XP

sir 

after making the directory hidden by this command "attrib path +s +h"

how to retrieve the directory back. If I forget a path and name of directory. But I remember the file name that is in directory.

-reply by rohit

how to unhide the hidden fileHow To Hide Your Files In XP

after having done the 'attrib' command, the file will have to seem gone. This is a DOS command which windows can not only understand but also can perform, it's just that we're not used to it. Anyway, go to the folder where you hid the file, type the whole same line at the command prompt but replace all plus signs with a minus sign and your file is back. You'll need to remember the complete and exact name of the file including the extension in order to bring it back.

-reply by Blue

The best way.How To Hide Your Files In XP

Using the "Hidden" property works to hide a file. But the problem is if an experienced user really tries, he can find the hidden files, unhide them or open them.If you really want to hide files, you need to use any of the file hiding softwares. I recently found "Free hide Folder" which is very effective and has an additional "backup" feature which is very useful. Little more details on it's usage can be found at http://www.skipser.toolsbysk.com/p/2/p/how-to-really-hide-files-in-windows.Html

-reply by Rahul