xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harriko

Msn Messenger 7.0 Or 6.2? which one is better

MSN Messenger is packed full of unnecessary features as it is anyway. The only features necessary for an instant messenger program are;

-buddy list

-chat

And to a lesser extent;

-file sharing

-different status'

This is basically ALL you need. MSN Messenger would still be a completely useful program for it's purpose without all the extra features like smilies, display pictures, background pictures.. and now winks and nudges, which are another addition in MSN 7.

All these extra features just add a bit of fun to the program, to make it more enjoyable to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is exactly why everyone now uses MSN, because its fun to use and things like that. The Smileys, Winks and nudges are all useful at certain times aswell as being fun to use.

Just to throw my 2 cents in.I disabled messenger a long time ago. I never really liked IE and don't use the MSN or its messenger so I don't need it. Considering the amount of resources required to keep messenger working I simply deactivated it. I get back those cpu cycles and memory space. I guess my vote is for MSN Messenger 0.0.0Or like David Spade in the Capital One commercial"I like MSN Messenger version zero point NO!"I don't have anything against anyone that uses MSN or the messenger. In fact I'm sure the feature is great for those that use it.Happy chatting, :) vujsa

MSN Messenger is packed full of unnecessary features as it is anyway. The only features necessary for an instant messenger program are;

-buddy list

-chat

And to a lesser extent;

-file sharing

-different status'

This is basically ALL you need. MSN Messenger would still be a completely useful program for it's purpose without all the extra features like smilies, display pictures, background pictures.. and now winks and nudges, which are another addition in MSN 7.

All these extra features just add a bit of fun to the program, to make it more enjoyable to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree on that but they'll force you to upgrade to MSN Messenger 7.0 once the Beta is over (not really force but the nag screens will prompt you to do so) so there is no point arguing over it unless you want to stick to Windows Messenger.

*Sorry about that Jimbean but I am talking about the whole topic itself.You can't stop MSN from updating your IM client so well, the only option you have is to either opt out of it or use Windows Messenger.

Edited by PC Astray (see edit history)

I have to agree on that but they'll force you to upgrade to MSN Messenger 7.0 once the Beta is over (not really force but the nag screens will prompt you to do so) so there is no point arguing over it unless you want to stick to Windows Messenger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I know... I wasn't arguing anything. I was just simply responding to your comment about the new features being unnecessary. If someone was to argue with me and say "I don't want to upgrade to MSN 7 because the new features aren't necessary", that would just sound stupid to me, because most of the other features aren't necessary either, in which case you should be using Windows Messenger.

Anyway, like I said, I wasn't trying to argue with anyone. In fact I completely agreed with your post, I was only giving my view on your comment and basically elaborating on the topic of 'unnecessary features'.

I apologize if you felt I was arguing with your post, I didn't mean to cause any fuss.

When i use Beta Sometimes people dont see me online and recently when i type it say messae cant be delivered so is like a head acke so i am using webmessenger.msn.com is good is nice and no need to install but you cant use many features so when 7 s finally ready i will start using it again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I so hate the fact that you *have* to upgrade. Yes, it gives you the stupid naggig screen, usually if I then click NO, MSN Messenger just shuts down. :) The point is - or upgrade or miss the program. Sadly they never even thought about people, using their program, on older pc's. Some pc's just do not have enough resources to run MSN Messenger. I would be exstatic if they'd release a lite version, without all the unnecesary things. I would keep the emoticons though. But all the other stuff?? Naah. let it go LOL.

For the record, I use MSN Messenger 6.2 mainly to talk to some of my relatives who happen to swear by MSN. Other than that, I use Trillian or GAIM to connect to AIM and Yahoo. Works fine and smoothly (although Trilly uses quite some resources too - which is why I am switching to GAIM).

I have tried the 7.0 Beta. The nudge is the Yahoo Buzz feature renamed, the ads are horrid (This is the ONLY reason I have msg plus on 6.2). Basically some of the feature make me want to stab my eyes out to put it that bluntly. The winks are nice, don't get me wrong, but all the *fancy* stuff, hogs resources and the sounds just are annoying.

This of course is my personal opinion, and yes, I am tired and therefore more blunt than normal :)

moonwitch, if you are switching to GAIM you should be able to setup your MSN account. OpaQue uses GAIM with MSN and it's working very well :)So if you can't figure it out on your own... <jk> I know you'll figure it out. But just in case you don't :) then ask OpaQue how he set up GAIM.Nils

moonwitch, if you are switching to GAIM you should be able to setup your MSN account. OpaQue uses GAIM with MSN and it's working very well :(

So if you can't figure it out on your own... <jk> I know you'll figure it out. But just in case you don't :) then ask OpaQue how he set up GAIM.

Nils

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I do have MSN, I just don't use MSN often so I didn't bother to set GAIM up for MSN, since I mainly have family on there and members of a PBERPG (http://www.usi-rpg.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page). Most I talk to have Yahoo or AIM :) hence me not using MSN on GAIM. :(

I use the closed beta of 7. version number 7.0.0604 .It has some more features that the "public" version. You can for an exampel se preview of others peoples display pictures in the main window.Screen of it

I know that everyone in this whole world that have an internet connection has msn messenger to chat through,nut theres version 7.0 and, version 6.2 which i am using right now. version 7.0 is in beta version iright now and i wondered how much people like it and using it now.

i prefer 6.2 in reason of its reliability and stableness. i got its msnplus plugin with its handwriting add-on, which is in version 7.0 ready built into it. i figured out without msnplus, msn will be boring. who will you vote for the better one?

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Microsoft MSN is orryble and bugged. You have tu use AMSN that is more secure, and go well.

the site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

lorenzo

I love the 7.0 version because I am more interested in those fancy stuff, and the 7. has lots of them. More skins and the very annoying-fun to play with nudge. Hehe. And the handwriting feature. Yeah, I think that the 7.0 is almost as good as yahoo messenger now.

I think it would be 6.2 for me. I have a LOT of different usefull plugins installed on my 6.2 version. And all new features in MSN Messenger 7 can't be compared to my personalized MSN 6.2 :) And also, MSN 7 needs more system resources, that's why I didn't like it too.

I'm using MSN 7 right now.There are new features such asNudges - Makes their window shakesWinks - I don't know how to describe thisHandwriting - Draw things and send itThat's all I know so far, but I think that you can get moreinformation on msn.com :)