xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Cannibalism crunch time, holmes

I've got a question. I find eating people VERY disturbing, I want to know: Why do people do that? Like a little while ago, I heard on the news, that some guy I ate this one girl or something. What do you think makes someone want to eat people? It just creeps me out, that of all the food in the whole world, you have to eat your neighbor. What do you think about cannibalism? (I'm talking about today's world)

here's somethin' I found on cannibal http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3254074.stm

and this http://www.rotten.com/library/death/cannibalism/

I've got a question. I find eating people VERY disturbing, I want to know: Why do people do that? Like a little while ago, I heard on the news, that some guy I ate this one girl or something. What do you think makes someone want to eat people? It just creeps me out, that of all the food in the whole world, you have to eat your neighbor. What do you think about cannibalism? (I'm talking about today's world)

here's somethin' I found on cannibal http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3254074.stm

and this http://www.rotten.com/library/death/cannibalism/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious...but is there any reason why eating a person should be less moral than eating an animal?(assuming you didn't kill the person/they died of natural causes).

I ask this for discussion, not because I necessarily condone the practice.

We're not any different than any other animals, except maybe in intelligence. I don't like to eat people :P , but I don't think it's more horrible than brutally killing people. People who do cannabalism might just have a little problem controlling their minds.

Well cannibalism, as a course of human evolution is not a natural phenomena. Humans are naturally omnivores. Most omnivores under normal circumstances do not indulge in cannibalism. Take our near genetic cousins the chimps for example.. never has it been observed in wild or captured primates for one chimp to cannibalize another. There may be occasional killing another chimp due to factional rivalry or the alpha male going about kidnapping and killing newborn males (especially if they are offspring of dominant females), but definately no cannabilism. However, in pure carnivores, it is a common phenomena, for one carnivore to kill and eat another of its own species. Although this does not occur during their normal course of living, should there be scarecity of food, it has been known to occur. Also birds and reptiles are notorious where it comes to dishing on their own. By the time we get to the insect kingdom, all social responsibility breaks down when it comes to feeding time. This is especially true for spiders. Now the point I want to make is that since human beings are omnivores we do have a bit of the herbivore as well as a bit of the carnivore within us. When you see a cow or a deer licking its offspring clean off the plesenta, would you consider that cannibalism? Chicken, very very often, attack their own eggs, and consume the shells, and in the process all the contents of the eggs themselves. Is a chicken evil? We'll then come to the part where we'd ask ourselves, does cannibalism, to be taken as unusual and abominable behaviour, have to be performed by intellegent beings. We'd fall into a quandry where classifying an intellegent being would be in question. Would early man, with enough knowhow to make tools and arms be considered 'gross' if he/she were to cannibalize a fellow human? Would 'untouched by CIVILIZATION' pigmy tribes of untill mid last centuary, that routinely fought other pigmy tribes and then cannibalized them be considered sub-human. The answer is in the perception. Where you would have been brought up in an environment that abhors bloodshed, a fellow human may have been brought up to believe in absolute might through cannibalism. Such a person would not think twice about butchering a fellow and making pot roast with the trimmings with him/her. During WW2 german era, various experiments were conducted by renouned Nazi doctors, where captured infants were locked up and brought up amongst and as various animals. One such experiment was that consucted in bringing up a child as a pig. By the time the child was a teen, the mental structure was such that it not only behaved like a pig, ate like one, but also reacted like other pigs, when a fellow pig was taken and put to pot. A person will believe untill shown various options in the manner the person has been educated. Even the educated may revert to primevial behaviour - that of a carnivore on the look out for food where any creature - even its own species, is fair game. There is a famous story told by survivors of the Ship Medusa, which was shipwrecked; and 150 men and women built a large raft to escape in. The Raft was sturdy enough to support the people and even brought in a few last survivors to rescue. The morbid part relates that out of the 150, there remained but 15, the rest were victims of first starvation and later homicide followed by cannibalism.Which brings us back to the cannibal that butchered a little girl. The person most likely had a mix of various influences, his upbringing, educative inputs through television, books and first-hand action. As a grown-up these must have triggred a primitive outburst where norma perception of social respect and responsibility towards another human is replaced by survival instincts at its most primitive, all of this bolstered by the cumulative knowlage of all the years of education in various ways. I guess we'll always be guessing what went wrong....!!R.A.

We'll then come to the part where we'd ask ourselves, does cannibalism, to be taken as unusual and abominable behaviour, have to be performed by intellegent beings. We'd fall into a quandry where classifying an intellegent being would be in question. Would early man, with enough knowhow to make tools and arms be considered 'gross' if he/she were to cannibalize a fellow human? Would 'untouched by CIVILIZATION' pigmy tribes of untill mid last centuary, that routinely fought other pigmy tribes and then cannibalized them be considered sub-human.

R.A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is an unusuall and abominale behaivor. It's just morally and legally wrong. (Cannibalism is actually wrong and against the law, because you have assaulted and/or killed the person you were gonna eat. If cannibalism was fine and dandy, it wouldn't be on the news. This is just for america.. I don't know about other countries)

I couldnt figure out how to get the quote thing happening so I hope this is ok till i figure it out.*QUOTE BY: l337 Nurse Pedestrian*"It is an unusuall and abominale behaivor. It's just morally and legally wrong. (Cannibalism is actually wrong and against the law, because you have assaulted and/or killed the person you were gonna eat. If cannibalism was fine and dandy, it wouldn't be on the news. This is just for america.. I don't know about other countries)"*END QUOTE*Just because you eat another human doesn't mean you have assulted or killed them. I don't know why you say it is morally wrong. If I was stranded on a desert island, and there was absolutely no food, and I found a dead body, I may very well eat it! I am REPULSED by the idea even now, but logically I can see that a dead body is only a complex bunch of chemicals and atoms etc which I would need (in the example) to stay living. I dont think that eating human flesh is morally wrong. I DO think that KILLING people (in most circumstances) is morally wrong, even if your intention is to eat them (out of necessity or not).

I agree that killing to get the food is wrong. But if the person is already dead...no, then only myself.Call me strange, but If I were on the front lines, stepped on a mine, and got my legs blown off (bear with me, this gets rediculous) and it so happens that one is near me, and also a fire, I might cook my leg and see what my calf tastes like. It just looks so juicy! Obviously, this will never happen. And from what I know about catle being kept in one spot and killed while they're young to get the best meat... being many times older than a cow and having walk/run many thousands of miles, I think legs would be very tough and dry.Drat, now I want a 20 oz. steak.

:D The vegan in me no pun intended, is shocked..

i think

in ancient times, cannabalism was practised as more of a spiritual rite, consuming the enemie's flesh, or the relative's, was kind of like eating their spirit? It's a symbolic thing i think and there is this tribe in the Amazon that repotedly still celebrates cannabalism.

I personally absolutely abhor the idea of consuming the flesh of another human being, but I think the reason for that is I imagine my own body being eaten - marrow being sucked out, muscle stripped from bone, roasted over a fire. Ugh.

But that is all mental. I think killing and eating another human is wrong. Actually, it is really not so much the 'eating' part that is wrong to me as it is the 'killing' part. If I was starving and stumbled across a dead body, you can be sure as heck that I would do what I would have to do to survive, but I certainly would not kill the person to begin with.

they are hungry... I'm sure at one time people said what moves a person to eat a cute little bunny but look at us now... These people in the 3rd world countries have no choice, would you let your family go hungry? look at wat our economy is becoming it wouldnt suprise me if we do eat each other one day. Besides how extreme would that hunt be...

I thot abouth this wen I watched that movie Doomsday... bottom line I would eat somebody in a time like that. 

I dont think I could ever eat a person. unless it was a doomed situation to where if I didnt eat you I'd die myself. similar to the movie Alive.but still. would be hard. It's just weird to think about to.