xisto Community
Paradox

Cannot View Trap 17 With Home Connection! Yet it works fine at school...?

Two days ago I joined Xisto during a class at school. 25 minutes later, I am at home, attempting to get back to Xisto and continue posting.However, I kept receiving a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error, no matter how long or how often I tried.I talked to a friend of mine over MSN, and she said that she could see the site fine.Is there an issue with my ISP here, or is it something else?The only difference in connection between my school and my house, is that I have Dial-Up, while the school has T1.

yeah, as u said, the problem might be with ur ISP. May be it is blocking the site or its dns lookup is not proper. Since Xisto is not a graphic intensive site, you should not have any problems using it with dial-up. Even I use dial-up at home to connect to Xisto.Cheers.

I used to have problems with the help. I couldn't get further than the main help page. Which ever page I clicked I got to the same help main page. Anyway I got around the problem. But the problem still exists. Sometimes I have problem reaching the page due to spelling mistakes in the URL. Check it properly. :angry:

i'm sort of having the same problem. i can access it at home though and not at school. at school the block a bunch of ports on the servers so i can't access the cpanel for my site which is really making me mad. does anybody know of a way to get past this?

That you can't see Xisto from home but it works from school can be due to multiple issues (one or more):

Your firewall is blocking Xisto

your ISP is blocking Xisto

your ISP's DNS server is querying a non authorative name server

You may have a setting in your computer for a nameserver (DNS Record) that is obsolete (should not happen with dial up)

You are typing the URL wrong

Someone using the same ISP abused resources on Xisto and the CIDR range is blocked (Range (block) of IP addresses)

Check your HOSTS file to make sure Xisto is not listed as a localhost, remove spyware and adware from the computer. Update antivirus and scan the computer.

Nils

There have been some reports that the Xisto website has been blocked by some parental control software and other security programs. These programs have classifed Xisto as "community forums", therefore, it is likely, that if you are using it in your school, the schools security program may very well be blocking the Xisto website.

Thanks for all your help guys, but I'm still not sure what was wrong.I can now view the site from home, but I didn't do anything... :angry:Maybe it's just one of those weird computer things...

Im having the same problem sort of. Sometimes I can view the site & sometimes I cannot. This happens with some other sites also. I have been having this problem for a few years (ever since I got broadband) Anyone know some easy steps to fix this since im not good with computers?

Sometimes it just depends if your proxy settings are incorrect. There are some pars (such as logging in) that require https:// and if you don't set it properly, it won't work. (Some schools block secure sites)

That you can't see Xisto from home but it works from school can be due to multiple issues (one or more):

Someone using the same ISP abused resources on Xisto and the CIDR range is blocked (Range (block) of IP addresses)

I have some connection issues. It could be my ISP blocking *.trap17.com sites (not the main Xisto site though), a DNS error, or Xisto is blocking my range for all member sites.

If Xisto is blocking, is there any way for me to find out?