xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Email Client Supporting Multiple Mailboxes With password protection

Hi all, Does anyone know of any such email client that can create multiple virtual mailboxes under ONE Windows Login - and thus cater to many different users. What I'm looking for is some client that can handle mails the way outllook does based on separate account logins on windows - but it should be able to perform the same without having to log out and log back in as a different user. Instead the client itself should have options to set up multiple password protected accounts that will take you to different mailboxes for every user. Is there any such client in existence ?? Thanks...

If you have the same outgoing smtp server for all the email addresses then you can use mozilla email with password for each user cumbersome and old email are visible to other users.

I think you should be able to use profiles? then each profile can have multiple email boxes in them.

Try the new :

Thunderbird 1.0Thunderbird

Thunderbird 1.0 is MozillaĆ¢s next generation e-mail client. Thunderbird makes emailing safer, faster, and easier than ever before with the industryĆ¢s best implementations of features such as intelligent spam filters, saved search folders, builtin RSS support, privacy protection

Nils

I have thunderbird from a long time - perhaps i wasnt able to explain myself clearly. Say, a windows system at home has only one user login. what i want is a email client that will sit inside that profile and yet provide mailboxes for say all my family members - each mailbox connecting to different accounts. smtp can be the same. but when i fire up the email client - it would ask for my login/pass and take me to ONLY my mailbox. The mailboxes for other family members should remain invisible to me, and so will mine be for them. I can use profiles - but all the profiles will be visible for anyone who uses the client. do you know of any such client ? maybe i'm asking too much out of a simple email reader... lol ... ;)

I have one login, and multiple profiles for my mail users at home. Don't matter who is logged onto the computer, you select profile to use.Inside each profile I can have multiple email accounts... so I think that is what you are looking for... Unless I'm totally 100% out in the woods. ;)Nils

NilsC has right, profiles is the best option for diferent people logging in same computer beside if you want protect your profile with password you can download an extension, check here:

Ā 

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/? showtopic=1801&hl=profilepassword

Ā 

that's why i really like mozilla products, extensions for everything and everybody. ;)

Ā 

greets

Deivid

Ā 

Ps: I'dont know why this link can't to be posted, if i join the "?" with "showtopic", the board automatically convert to http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/ ???? i don't know why this happends, even if I put
http://forums.xisto.com/
or

is the same thing... hmmm  

one of the best client for you would be FireBird Mozilla, how ever you may have any number of pop3 emai accounts for retriving your mails but you can have only one default smtp mail account. You can change your default smtp account if you have many..

<SNIP!>

Ā 

Instead the client itself should have options to set up multiple password protected accounts that will take you to different mailboxes for every user. Is there any such client in existence ??

Thanks...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As most of the people here have already suggested Mozilla Thundebird, I'd like to perhaps suggest something pertinent :

Ā 

Use profiles in conjunction with Profile Password extension. This will give each user privacy as well as the ability to choose and install relevant extensions as per their liking.

Ā 

Start TB with the Profile manager by entering this into the target field of the shortcut - (correct your own path please!)

Ā 

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -ProfileManager

Alternatively, if you've installed TB 1.0, check in the START MENU folder for a shortcut titled "Profile Manager"; run that and uncheck DON'T ASK AT STARTUP

Email Client Supporting Multiple Mailboxes - With password protectionEmail Client Supporting Multiple Mailboxes

I understand your question perfectly because I am looking for exactly the same thing.Before Windows Mail, Outlook Express used to allowed you to set up different email profiles and password protect any or all of them. While working in one profile, you only saw what was applicable to that profile. This was an extraodinarily convenient feature that MS has now done away with. You could set up a business profile, a hobby profile, a church profile and a family profile and you could pretty easily switch between profiles. Your contacts, signature, groups and other settings were all unique to the particular profile. You didn't run the risk of sending an email to the wrong person because you would only be communicating with the people you put in that profile.The only feature it didn't have, that I wish it did have, was an ability to notify if there was new mail on all profiles without logging in to each profile individually.If you wonder why the question is being asked, its because Outlook Express had these features, but it won't run in Vista or 7. It is intentionally disabled. Moreover, you can't password protect Windows mail. If your user account is open, anybody can start the Windows mail program and anybody can see anything you have received. Further, unless you set your email client to ask for the password each and every time you send and email, anybody can send mail as you. You can't even get past this problem with Window Live Mail because the interface was built on the assumption that you want all accounts bundled.Now, I know that at MS they know something about using computers, even in the practical world. But they seem to have come to some sigularized model of how to use a computer. (For instance, I don't want all of my pictures in a single directory. I want them in a picture file directory in the client file applicable to that client.) Since I use my computer with a different paradigm, I find some of their assumptions quite frustrating. Elimination of email profiles is one of the bad assumptions.

-reply by Bagunda