xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Space Orangutan #2

Guild Wars Will it succeed?

Guild Wars

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder.

You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

I will be thrilled when this game comes out. Finally, a game where you don't have to pay a stupid monthly subcription or play for hours just to get ahead. I have played in the beta tests and hope to play them again. It's very unique considering most other MMORPGs out now. They say it won't cost as much as other games when you buy it and I hope that pans out too.

Anyone else waiting for this game or interested in it? More Beta Tests start the 18th!

GuildWars is quite a big game... The company seem to think they can strike it rich with the release of this game. ;) Personally i think its rather original, a free MMORPG (though you have to buy it) doesn't come this easily. Sooner or later they might release a p2p version of it like runescape don't you think? I've never played it before but I have a feeling I'm going to buy it! ;)

Eh, I was really interested in Guild Wars when I first heard about it and started reading up on it, I was really excited for the open test weekend thing they did back in October I think it was. After that though my interest in the game just kind of died. It's horribly linear, their doesn't seem to be all that much to differentiate charecters, and to be succesful you really have to play with other people while I prefer to solo around %80 of the time I play a MMORPG. So it seems like it's just going to end up being a MMORPG 3D version of Diablo, which shouldn't be surprising since the developers were key members of the team at Blizzard that created the Diablo games, and while that will probably please alot of people it just doesn't seem to float my boat. Granted the lack of a subscription fee means I may still get it, especially because the fiance loves it, but if there was a standard MMORPG pay system with it I think far less people would be interested for $15 a month.

No! If it is for Xbox... Then people who don't have consoles cannot play! The best is to use the universal console... the almightly computer! Oh and about guild wars... I'm recrazed about it ever since i saw the video in the new fan site, Guild Wars Underground. You can get the website from the official guild wars website itself... At first when i found this game... It was during the OPEN beta testing... It took too long to load... So i did not try it. I regretted that... Then up till this year January... I sort of lost interest until i came across the video by pure accident and adventurious spirit! It totally rocked! Can't wait!! :)