xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Half Life 2/Steam WTF? ....

OK I am so confused. I just bought HL2, and I want to play it. But how? It's so confusing with this Steam thingy. I already have my account, but i'm trying to play off line, but it says 'Not ready'. WHAT?????Now I figure that you have to play online. And these guys have the balls to make me pay 55 bucks, to play single player game online.DIE STEAM..there is an offline mode though. How do I use it? (dial up)

You had to connect to the internet so HL2 could be patched. (Also so Valve knows you have a legit copy, since alot of people are trying to steal it...dowload it...) When it finishes downloading, all you have to do is take the cable from your dial-up out and when it says "Cannot connect to the internet" you press Offline Mode.And don't say it dosen't work. That's how I play on a LAN with 1 account.

if you have broadband steam is annoying but tolerable. if you have dialup I wish thee luck. I've gotten it into offline mode before when I was in places with dialup for awhile, buuuut it would randomly try to reconnect and freak out haha. Again, good luck and god speed :S

You mean you can't even play the game unless you connect to the Internet and download their patch? That sux big time. I didn't know the HL2 developers were making it harder for regular users also to use their products. Isn't it even mentioned on the box that it is completely unusable unless you download the patch from the net?

Steam is not that hard to use. Its getting better now, it use to lag and stuff. Dude!! you just don't know how to use steam, you need to update it first before you can play offline. When it says not ready, it means you need to update the game. And if you want to play HL2 offline without going online, you first have to login, and then you can close your internet connection - but don't log out of steam. If you want to play offline next time, just close steam, do not log out. Next time you open steam it would say play offline mod or something.. can't really remember.Once it says 'ready' you don't need to update it ever again when playing offline. The reason it keep updating patches is because you log in when your internet is on. If you close your internet and playoffline mod, steam doesn't know there's a new patch therefore it wouldn't know when to update!!!!!Hope this infor helps!! :)

When you first register it, even though its a single player game, you have to be online for it to register. For safety precautions so people don't use same cd key and stuff, even though it is very annoying. Once you have done this you SHOULD be able to just play the game. But like as previously said, sometimes it checks to see if you're online. I think it's all rediculous. But once you've register just make sure you link it with your steam account, and all should be fine. Now only if you could buy DOD Source in a store...

In order to play HL2 you have to verify the game through steam.I think valve announced they are going to do this with all future games too.So yea, if you don't have internet you can't play..which is pretty gaySteam is ok once you know how to use it, ive had it for like 4 years now cuz ive played cs 1.6, hal life, cs:cz and cs:sit takes forever to update each game wen you first install, even with broadband cuz the update is huge

I would say just make steam compulsary for online games, seriously what's the point in using steam for single player games? It isn't really doing much harm because online is where most of the fun is, so if someone downloads the game illegaly they would more than likely want to play multiplayer etc..-HellFire

Here are the steps from Steam web site. They worked for me with one additional step, Step 7.Using Offline ModePlease follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine: 1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked to. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode) 3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played 4. Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected 5. From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline 6. Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode 7. (Added by me) Launch the game again and select offline mode when the game asks. The first time I didn't, I just shut down my laptop and move it, and it wouldn't work. So Be sure to launch it again right away in offline mode.-grampy

Half-Life 2 Episode 1

Half Life 2/Steam WTF?

Hay guys, just wondering is the any possible way of installing half-life ep.1 without having to use a steam account? is there some sort of patch or something?

My internet is playing up on my desktop which I am trying to install the game on!

-reply by Devil Thorn

wtf problemHalf Life 2/Steam WTF?

my HL2 game already exists in my computer right before I installedSteam. Is there a way to register my pre-existing HL2 game in Steam?Because I'm so irritated now. I want to install SMOD and I cant withoutRegistering my HL2 game in Steam

-reply by olegario39

*** I downloaded steam but when I click on it, it says that its not connected to internet how the hell am I suposed to get on to it, I already have a steam account and I have internet *** Please HELP ME plus my mom said shell get gmod and the orange box for me but how can I play it if I cant get on to steam!VERY ANGRY 

-question by THEDUDE

You must first connect to their service online BEFORE you can then go into "offline mode." If you have no internet connection then you cannot play ANY Steam games, even single player ones. Why? Because Steam is run by CROOKS and they run their service like a MALWARE group.

I ran into a similar problem, I no longer had an internet connection because I couldn't afford it, and so I could no longer play any games through Steam, not even single player games. I contacted support and they basically told me to go get bent. My advice to people is simply to never buy games through Steam because of their business practices.

If you anger them or do anything to cause them to disable your Steam account, you will NEVER AGAIN be able to play any of the games you ALREADY PAID FOR. They can BAN you from playing your own games LOL doesn't that sound nice? 

-reply by Tracey